When Lobbyists Pay To Meet With Congressmen

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 11:18 am
When Lobbyists Pay To Meet With Congressmen
April 20, 2012
by Alex Blumberg and Andrea Seabrook
NPR Morning Edition

Yesterday, we reported on the fundraisers that lobbyists hold for Congressmen every day in Washington. Today, we hear what happens inside those events. The stories are part of our series on money in politics.

At a typical event, there's a member of Congress and a member of his or her staff who is in charge of collecting the checks. This person is known as the fundraiser.

"The fundraiser is standing in the room, and the fundraiser has 35,000 bucks in checks sitting in her pocket right now," says Jimmy Williams, a former lobbyist for the real estate industry. "And we're going to talk about public policy while we take the checks."

How much influence do those checks have over public policy?

Most of the time, checks don't by votes, Williams says. But they buy access. They buy an opportunity to make your case.

The rules are clear: Lobbyists use money from their political action committees to get access to lawmakers.

One time, Williams says, he took a couple clients to meet a Congressman when his PAC had fallen behind in its donations.

"I've put in two calls to your PAC director, and I haven't received any return phone calls," the Congressman said, according to Williams. "Now why am I taking this meeting?"

The minute he left the office, Williams called his PAC director, and she cut those checks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 917 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 03:34 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_131dsm4xhS8/SwG3Fx2SVrI/AAAAAAAACQE/it3oKOl67zQ/s1600/lobbyists.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 04:20 pm
@Irishk,
When Lobbyists Pay To Meet With Congressmen, it reminds me of irrigation supply companies bringing us lunch for a talk with the staff.
I was fine with talking at moderate length with reps to understand the new products, preferably on the phone, though needing that wasn't usual - we got it already, as I trust did our peers in other design companies. Don't try to feed me lunch to make me like you. I walked at lunch, back then, with my own snacks. I sat there and it was usually a waste of my lunch walk. The whole bringing-you-some stuff-from-a-deli thing was, to me, humiliating for both. But I suppose sales is that.

I think the feed system is pervasive, one way or another.
0 Replies