Do you think Zimmerman will be convicted of murder?

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 04:27 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Are you really going to sit in judgement of George based upon his known history of the state letting him down?

Yup.
We are all responsible for the actions we take and the results thereof, yes?
Haven't you already judged Zimmerman?
We disagree on his status in society, the courts will do the actual deciding.
~
My judgment is based on my experiences both with bad guys and police. Every cop I know, and I know a lot of them, say Zimmerman should have stayed in the truck.
Joe(I stick with them)Nation
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 08:08 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Joe(all he had to do was listen to the dispatcher.)Nation

We know what happened the last time Zimmerman took this "good" advice..the bad guys got away. Are you really going to sit in judgement of George based upon his known history of the state letting him down?

Trayvon Martin wasn't a "bad guy." He had committed no crime. This fact is important. George Zimmerman's state of mind cannot be justified. No crime had even been immediately reported such that a criminal was suspected to be in the vicinity.

The dispatcher was right, and Zimmerman's judgement was what failed.

hawkeye10 wrote:

I dare the state to take a murder charge to trial...It will be Casey Anderson all over again...

He may be acquitted. This is certainly a possibility. But to have no trial is worse. Trayvon is only one person, but this law effects all of Florida. Shootings should face greater scrutiny, and in a case like this where we have more evidence than most homicide cases ever have...

- We have the weapon
- We have the shooter
- We have the location
- We have multiple audio recordings, including the moment of the shot

In such circumstances, trail makes perfect sense.

A
R
T
firefly

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 11:28 am
@failures art,
We may not see a trial for quite some time--and it is possible that there will be no trial.
Quote:
When will George Zimmerman's trial start?
By Beth Karas
April 27, 2012

As the case against George Zimmerman progresses, a lot of In Session and HLN social media followers want to know when they will see this case play out inside the courtroom. The case is still early in the procedural process, so it is difficult to say -- a lot could happen between now and when it goes to trial. Florida law and rules of procedure give us some idea, as do previous cases, so let’s take a look.

Zimmerman has a right to a speedy trial -- within 180 days from his April 11 arrest. Zimmerman’s attorney, Mark O’Mara, may decide to fast-track the case for trial, which means it could happen later this year.

In Florida, however, defense attorneys routinely waive the right to a speedy trial, which pushes it past the 180-day deadline. If O’Mara does waive the right to a speedy trial, he will probably do it in the next month or two. And that means the trial would likely be next year.

Prosecutors may give O’Mara the first round of “discovery,” police reports, autopsy report, photographs, and other items assembled as part of the investigation, as soon as next week. Releasing documents between sides is an ongoing process as new information becomes available, new reports are generated and attorneys take depositions of key witnesses.

O’Mara says it will be at least a few months before he decides whether to ask for a pre-trial hearing on Zimmerman’s potential entitlement to the “Stand Your Ground” immunity because he wants to make sure he has all the facts.

Once O’Mara files the stand your ground motion, a hearing will be scheduled. At that hearing, Zimmerman’s team has the burden of proving by “a preponderance of the evidence” that his use of deadly force was justified. Preponderance of the evidence basically means it’s more likely than not that Zimmerman was justified in using deadly force. This is very different from a trial where the burden is on the prosecutors to prove each element of an alleged crime beyond a reasonable doubt.

Florida’s Stand Your Ground statute provides very specific elements that Zimmerman must prove: that he was not engaged in unlawful activity, that he was attacked in a place he had a right to be and that he reasonably believed his life and safety were in danger. He cannot, however, be justified in using deadly force if he provoked the altercation, unless he was attacked with more force than he initiated.

It’s hard to imagine how Zimmerman could meet those criteria without testifying at the hearing. So, expect to hear from him if he requests, and is granted, a Stand Your Ground hearing.

If the judge believes Zimmerman was standing his ground, the case will be dismissed and he will have immunity from further prosecution. If Zimmerman loses the Stand Your Ground hearing, the case will proceed to trial. But there’s a potential next step that could delay a trial: Either side -- the prosecution or defense -- can appeal the judge’s decision. The appeals process could take weeks or months.

So, as you can see, there are a lot of moving parts in the process that could affect the timing of the trial.
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/04/26/when-will-zimmerman-go-trial
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 01:21 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Neither of us, David, nor anyone outside of this matter,
has any evidence or testimony as to who struck the first blow, who laid hands of who first, do we?

We have Mr. Zimmerman's purported statement to police.

That is enough for you.
Yes. He seems nice.

Joe Nation wrote:
We will see if it is enough for a jury.
Will it get that far, Joe ?

Joe Nation wrote:
Joe(it may be, it might not be)Nation
A HA!

David
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 02:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
A HA what?
Your choice would not be a trial of any sort, not even an arrest.

Very much reminds me of crimes committed in the name of the King in 14th century, or the Samurai of Japan as late as the 1860s, except those persons were proceeding, unlike Zimmerman, under authority from someone actually in authority.

~
Question: This will be fun.
Scenario:
Zimmerman gets out of his truck, spots Martin across the way, heads towards him.
Martin sees him coming and, according to witnesses, yells "What do you want with me, man?"
Zimmerman shouts back "Who are you and what are you doing here?"
Zimmerman is now only ten yards away from Martin.
Martin says "Who are you?"
Zimmerman, who does not stop coming, says "I've already called the cops."
Martin says " What for?"
Zimmerman says "Because you don't live here."
Martin says "Yes, I do, man. My father lives right over there. You want to talk to him? Come on."
He turns to start walking.
Zimmerman says "Hold it right there!" and reaches out and grabs Martin by his left shoulder.
Martin spins around and clocks Zimmerman in the nose with his right hand.
"Keep your hands off of me!" he says.
Zimmerman, with one hand on his bleeding nose, goes for his gun.
Martin seeing that, tackles Zimmerman, knocking him to the ground where he bangs his head on the edge of a sidewalk.
There is a struggle.
Twice Zimmerman has Martin in a kind of choke hold but he gets free. There are more punches thrown by both men.
For several minutes while neighbors watch both men wrestle for control of the other.
At some point, the gun is grabbed by Martin and he stands up and points it at Zimmerman who gets to his feet more slowly.
"Leave me alone." Martin shouts, "just leave me alone."
Zimmerman is furious. "Give me that gun!" he shouts, "Give me that gun or I'll... ."
He dives towards Martin.
There is a shot.
~
The bullet grazes Mr. Zimmerman's head and enters his back approximately four inches below the base of the neck
~
Question: Should Martin be arrested, David?

Joe(What say you?)Nation
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 04:46 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

A HA what?
Your choice would not be a trial of any sort, not even an arrest.
That is right, accurate & correct!
It is perfectly innocent, honorable and admirable to defend yourself.
Innocent people (presumably, like u) shud NOT be arrested.

Joe Nation wrote:
Very much reminds me of crimes
Please indicate the statutes that were violated by those crimes.

Joe Nation wrote:
committed in the name of the King in 14th century, or the Samurai of Japan as late as the 1860s, except those persons were proceeding, unlike Zimmerman, under authority from someone actually in authority.

~
Question: This will be fun.
Scenario:
Zimmerman gets out of his truck, spots Martin across the way, heads towards him.
Martin sees him coming and, according to witnesses, yells "What do you want with me, man?"
Zimmerman shouts back "Who are you and what are you doing here?"
Zimmerman is now only ten yards away from Martin.
Martin says "Who are you?"
Zimmerman, who does not stop coming, says "I've already called the cops."
Martin says " What for?"
Zimmerman says "Because you don't live here."
Martin says "Yes, I do, man. My father lives right over there. You want to talk to him? Come on."
He turns to start walking.
Zimmerman says "Hold it right there!" and reaches out and grabs Martin by his left shoulder.
Martin spins around and clocks Zimmerman in the nose with his right hand.
"Keep your hands off of me!" he says.
Zimmerman, with one hand on his bleeding nose, goes for his gun.
Martin seeing that, tackles Zimmerman, knocking him to the ground where he bangs his head on the edge of a sidewalk.
There is a struggle.
Twice Zimmerman has Martin in a kind of choke hold but he gets free. There are more punches thrown by both men.
For several minutes while neighbors watch both men wrestle for control of the other.
At some point, the gun is grabbed by Martin and he stands up and points it at Zimmerman who gets to his feet more slowly.
"Leave me alone." Martin shouts, "just leave me alone."
Zimmerman is furious. "Give me that gun!" he shouts, "Give me that gun or I'll... ."
He dives towards Martin.
There is a shot.
~
The bullet grazes Mr. Zimmerman's head and enters his back approximately four inches below the base of the neck
~
Question: Should Martin be arrested, David?

Joe(What say you?)Nation
He shud not be arrested.

David
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 08:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The New Golden Rule according to OmSigDav:

He who ends up with the gun is the Golden Boy.

I choose to live in a country where matters of complexity are not decided by the local constable but in a Court of Law.

Isn't it funny that this Liberal has an affinity for our legal system whereas the Conservatives amongst us have completely lost faith.
It's the same reasoning that leads them to want to have terrorists tried before extra-legal commission rather than in our courts.
Who are the foreigners here?

Joe(and who really believes in the Constitution?)Nation
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 May, 2012 10:07 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
The New Golden Rule according to OmSigDav:

He who ends up with the gun is the Golden Boy.
That 's not a factor.
In your scenario, Zimmy grabbed him.
He had no legal authority to do that, unless in citizen's arrest.
U did not say that he was doing that.

Joe Nation wrote:
I choose to live in a country where matters of complexity are not decided by the local constable but in a Court of Law.
People who have done nothing rong
have a right to remain unmolested by police.
Self defense is innocent, commendable, and wholesome.
Getting arrested can get some folks financially wiped out, for NO reason.

Joe Nation wrote:
Isn't it funny that this Liberal has an affinity for our legal system whereas the Conservatives amongst us have completely lost faith.
WHAT "faith" is this,
that I lost??
I was not aware of a change in my filosofy.

Joe Nation wrote:
It's the same reasoning that leads them to want to have terrorists tried before extra-legal commission rather than in our courts.
What 's rong with that??
Alien terrorists have no rights under American law.
What 's the problem (as long as no citizen is exposed to that)???

Joe Nation wrote:
Who are the foreigners here?
The terrorists????

Joe Nation wrote:
Joe(and who really believes in the Constitution?)Nation
The Constitution gives no rights to alien terrorists.
If u think it DOES, then please show us where it SAYS that.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 04:26 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
[W]hen all is said and done do you think Zimmerman will stand convicted of murder?

Based on the publically-available information on what happened, and on Wikipedia's definition of Common-Law murder, my response would be "no". I don't see how the prosecutor could prove malice aforethought beyond all reasonable doubt. Zimmerman overreacted, misinformed by racial prejudice, to a situation he misjudged to be a threat. But his motive was to protect the neighborhood against crime. He didn't premeditate to kill Blacks when he took the post at the neighborhood watch. Or at the very least, there's reasonable doubt that he did.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 04:30 am
@Joe Nation,
Letter in Yesterday's Guardian summed it up quite well.

Quote:
The defendants at the Guantánamo trial (9/11 families vent anger at 'jihad in courtroom', 7 May) are accused of abominable crimes, and the victims' families are understandably anguished. It should be remembered that in international law this is an illegal trial staged at an illegal venue by a lying president who has broken his promise to close the venue down.
Gerald Kaufman MP
Labour, Manchester Gorton
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 05:36 am
David wrote : (you can tell it's him by the "rong")
Quote:
People who have done nothing rong(sic)

But not, as you have said, by the Zimmermans of the world.
Martin had done nothing wrong.
He was in a place lawfully.
Yet you would allow Zimmerman to lay hands on him and arrest him IF Zimmerman announced he was making a citizen's arrest?!?

Jeezus. You want more police power in the hands of non-police, what country is that?
Haiti?
It's not the United States of America, except possibly when the railroad's Hell on Wheels moved across the Great Plains and agents of the construction company arrested, tried, imprisoned and even hanged wrongdoers.

Again, I ask to defend Martin's right to be unmolested, if you can't do that, then we have nothing more to discuss.

Joe(not holding my breath)Nation

BillRM

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 06:53 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
don't see how the prosecutor could prove malice aforethought beyond all reasonable doubt. Zimmerman overreacted, misinformed by racial prejudice, to a situation he misjudged to be a threat

Given Zimmerman's wounds cause by Trayvon I do not see how they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was not acting in legal self defense of his life.

If kind of hard to misjudge the intend of someone, no matter their skin color, who is trying to pound your brains out on a sidewalk after all.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 08:02 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Given Zimmerman's wounds cause by Trayvon I do not see how they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was not acting in legal self defense of his life.

Are those the same wound that appeared after he was first seen by the police? You really will believe any old bollocks won't you?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 08:27 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

Zimmerman's wounds tell you nothing about the circumstances under which those wounds were acquired.

In addition, you have failed to understand the actual legal procedures, or all of the laws which might apply in this case, no matter how times they have been posted.

If there is an immunity hearing, the burden of proof is on Zimmerman to prove to a judge, by a preponderance of the evidence, that he acted in self defense with a legally justified use of deadly force--against an unarmed person--given the circumstances of the situation. His injuries alone might not be convincing evidence because his shooting victim might have been trying to protect himself from Zimmerman.

The only thing you are proving, beyond a reasonable doubt, is your ignorance of all the facts and evidence in this case, and your ignorance of the laws that might apply in this situation that would find Zimmerman's use of deadly force to be unjustified and criminal in nature.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 08:56 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Again, I ask to defend Martin's right to be unmolested, if you can't do that, then we have nothing more to discuss.

That's pretty much the conclusion at which I arrived.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 12:20 pm
@firefly,
Sorry dear I had given the links for any one to read and the law is not in question no matter how you try spin it.

Oh some of those links was to Florida lawyers websites and unless you are claiming to be license to practice law before the Florida bar they carry far far far more weight then your opinions concerning Florida law.

I had also taken note you had not post one link backing up your claims concerning Florida law an odd thing not to do unless you are claiming to be a license Florida lawyer and an expert yourself.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 12:35 pm
@Joe Nation,
David wrote : (you can tell it's him by the "rong")
DAVID wrote:
People who have done nothing rong(sic)

Joe Nation wrote:
But not, as you have said, by the Zimmermans of the world.
Martin had done nothing wrong.
He had done something rong
when he began slamming Zimmy 's brain against the sidewalk.

Joe Nation wrote:
He was in a place lawfully.
Astride Zimmy 's chest ???????

Joe Nation wrote:

Yet you would allow Zimmerman to lay hands on him and arrest
him IF Zimmerman announced he was making a citizen's arrest?!?
Well, its just that I remain silent,
rather than demanding a change in extant law.
( I presume that its the same in Florida, but I really dunno.)

Joe Nation wrote:
Jeezus. You want more police power in the hands of non-police, what country is that?
U deny the existence of citizen's arrest laws ?

Joe Nation wrote:
It's not the United States of America, except possibly when the railroad's Hell on Wheels moved across the Great Plains
and agents of the construction company arrested, tried, imprisoned and even hanged wrongdoers.

Again, I ask to defend Martin's right to be unmolested,
if you can't do that, then we have nothing more to discuss.

Joe(not holding my breath)Nation
R u defining that alleged right to include IMMUNITY from free speech, in the streets?

U think that no one can legally speak to him ?????
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 01:12 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
I had also taken note you had not post one link backing up your claims concerning Florida law an odd thing not to do unless you are claiming to be a license Florida lawyer and an expert yourself.

That's because you pay no attention to what other people post.

I posted the revelant Florida statutes under which Zimmerman might be convicted of a crime on pg. 46 of this thread.
http://able2know.org/topic/188223-46#post-4975263
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:34 pm
Thomas wrote:

Quote:
But his motive was to protect the neighborhood against crime.

That's not unassailable fact by any means. For all we know right now, his motive might just as well have been to intimidate someone and get his jollies playing "cop".

Quote:
He didn't premeditate to kill Blacks when he took the post at the
neighborhood watch. Or at the very least, there's reasonable doubt that he did.

He wasn't given any "post". He self-appointed as the neighborhood protector, and we called it "neighborhood watch captain" solely for lack of better terms.
Thomas

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 02:46 pm
@snood,
Thomas wrote:
But his motive was to protect the neighborhood against crime.

snood wrote:
That's not unassailable fact by any means.

I agree it isn't, but then it doesn't have to be as far as the law is concerned. To thwart a conviction for murder, all there has to be is a reasonable doubt of the contention that Zimmerman premeditated to kill a Black man.