Do you think Zimmerman will be convicted of murder?

parados

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 10:49 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

parados wrote:
Zimmerman created the situation by violating reasonable rules of neighborhood watch. He then killed someone because he violated those rules. You can't pretend those rules don't exist.

It seems rather a stretch to suggest that Zimmerman created the situation simply because he carried a gun.

Carrying the gun was only one part of the total picture. Your continued desire and obfuscation of only picking out one fact and saying "see that isn't dangerous" is ludicrous in it's logic and no jury will fall for that ****. Someone died. One of the actions leading up to that death was Zimmerman's decision to carry a gun even though he should not have under the circumstances. If Zimmerman had not carried the gun Martin would not have died from a gun shot wound.

You can't argue someone drove a car 150mph without also showing they got in that car. It is the first step in a series of actions that ultimately lead to the total picture.
parados

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 10:50 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

There is nothing tortured about me pointing out the reality of what the second degree murder statute clearly means.

Except you haven't pointed out what it means. You have ignored the actual words of the statute to provide your own tortured meaning.
parados

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 10:50 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

The suggestions that Zimmerman lied are a bit overblown.

Really? He actually was sent back to jail because he lied. I would hardly call that "overblown."
DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 10:55 am
@oralloy,
A judge says he lied. That's good enough for me.

Waving your hands in the air doesn't change history.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 10:56 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
More hand waving about "gambling with someone's life for no reason."

Pointing out reality must count as hand waving.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

DrewDad wrote:
Sorry, but self-defense requires a specific reason - a reasonable fear for one's life.

And second degree murder in Florida requires gambling with people's lives for no reason.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 10:58 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Only if he pulled the trigger for no reason, knowing he was in no danger from Trayvon.

That is a bullshit argument oralloy and you should know it.

No, pointing out the requirements for second degree murder is not bullshit. It's just me providing the board with another dose of reality.

parados wrote:
You don't get to shoot someone if you create the situation where they threaten you.

No kidding. Did you somehow miss the billion or so times where I clearly stated in this thread that that would count as manslaughter?

parados wrote:
We can argue all day about who is at fault in creating the situation but in reality Zimmerman can never be completely absolved from all fault.

I have not seen convincing evidence that he is at fault. That blogger map that you linked some time back makes it look like Zimmerman halted his pursuit when the dispatcher advised him to.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 10:58 am
@oralloy,
Unfortunately for you (and fortunately for the rest of us), you don't get to define reality.

Your grasp on reality is loose, at best. What kinds of medications are you on?
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 10:59 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
No. That is an act that creates imminent danger.

So handing a loaded gun to anyone creates imminent danger even if you don't think they will shoot themselves? How is that possible oralloy that sometimes a loaded gun creates imminent danger and other times it doesn't? Such an argument means that the minute Zimmerman picked up a loaded gun he created imminent danger.

There is a huge difference between "intentionally playing Russian roulette with someone" and "picking up a loaded gun in some other situation".
DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 11:02 am
@oralloy,
I need to apologize to you. I'm sorry for thinking you are being an ass on purpose; it has become apparent that you are merely a victim of your brain chemistry.

I shall not aggravate you further.
parados

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 11:06 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
No, pointing out the requirements for second degree murder is not bullshit. It's just me providing the board with another dose of reality.

Then point out the part of the law that requires "gambling" before 2nd degree murder can be charged. Point to the specific part of the law. No such law exists in Florida. Reckless disregard is NOT the same thing as gambling.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/reckless+disregard

Quote:
No kidding. Did you somehow miss the billion or so times where I clearly stated in this thread that that would count as manslaughter?
Not if it rises to 2nd degree murder.

Quote:

I have not seen convincing evidence that he is at fault
Except you have been arguing you have seen zero evidence. If you are only arguing you aren't convinced by the evidence then that is quite different from the majority of your statements.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 11:14 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:
Zimmerman created the situation by violating reasonable rules of neighborhood watch. He then killed someone because he violated those rules. You can't pretend those rules don't exist.

It seems rather a stretch to suggest that Zimmerman created the situation simply because he carried a gun.

Carrying the gun was only one part of the total picture. Your continued desire and obfuscation of only picking out one fact and saying "see that isn't dangerous" is ludicrous in it's logic and no jury will fall for that ****. Someone died. One of the actions leading up to that death was Zimmerman's decision to carry a gun even though he should not have under the circumstances. If Zimmerman had not carried the gun Martin would not have died from a gun shot wound.

Pointing out reality is hardly obfuscation. Nothing Zimmerman did can plausibly be described as imminent danger that deliberately gambled with Trayvon's life.

parados wrote:
You can't argue someone drove a car 150mph without also showing they got in that car. It is the first step in a series of actions that ultimately lead to the total picture.

Getting in the car is irrelevant.

In that example, unlike with Zimmerman, there was an intentional act that knowingly put people's lives in imminent danger.
oralloy

@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
There is nothing tortured about me pointing out the reality of what the second degree murder statute clearly means.

Except you haven't pointed out what it means. You have ignored the actual words of the statute to provide your own tortured meaning.

Nope. I pointed out exactly what it means.

The fact that it doesn't say what you'd like it to say, does not make the meaning tortured.
oralloy

@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Unfortunately for you (and fortunately for the rest of us), you don't get to define reality.

Not sure how one would define reality, but I do get to point out what reality is.

Try educating yourself before you talk about a subject, and make sure you stick to the truth, and then you won't always find yourself being contradicted by reality.

DrewDad wrote:
Your grasp on reality is loose, at best.

Says the clown who can't point out any flaws in my position.

DrewDad wrote:
What kinds of medications are you on?

Your childishness is no substitute for an intelligent argument
parados

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 11:23 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Pointing out reality is hardly obfuscation. Nothing Zimmerman did can plausibly be described as imminent danger that deliberately gambled with Trayvon's life.

As far as second degree murder - (we will ignore your gambling red herring)
To you no. To the prosecutors, yes. To the jury, we will have to wait and see. You have made a decision that simply refuses to put the evidence together as a whole and then you argue minutia.

Quote:

Actually, it's very relevant. If I can't reasonably show someone got in the car then I certainly can't show they were driving it. We can assume they got in it if they got out of it but that still makes the getting in relevant.
parados

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 11:25 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

The fact that it doesn't say what you'd like it to say, does not make the meaning tortured.

Yawn... the law doesn't include the words "depraved heart" nor does it include the word "gamble" You are free to argue it means that but you are not free to argue the law says that.
parados

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 11:26 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Says the clown who can't point out any flaws in my position.

Says the clown that continues to argue that the flaws don't exist even when he acknowledges them.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 11:26 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
I need to apologize to you. I'm sorry for thinking you are being an ass on purpose; it has become apparent that you are merely a victim of your brain chemistry.

I shall not aggravate you further.

As above, your childishness is a poor substitute for knowing what you are talking about and formulating an intelligent argument.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 11:27 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Then point out the part of the law that requires "gambling" before 2nd degree murder can be charged. Point to the specific part of the law. No such law exists in Florida.

Sure it does. Look for the words depraved mind. In the context of depraved heart murder, the term "depraved mind" refers to callously doing something that you know has a very high risk of accidentally killing someone.

parados wrote:
Reckless disregard is NOT the same thing as gambling.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/reckless+disregard

Seems close enough for me.

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Not if it rises to 2nd degree murder.

Without intentionally putting Trayvon's life at risk for no reason (i.e. knowing that he was never in any danger from Trayvon), there is no way it can rise to second degree murder.

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
I have not seen convincing evidence that he is at fault

Except you have been arguing you have seen zero evidence. If you are only arguing you aren't convinced by the evidence then that is quite different from the majority of your statements.

If someone posts something they purport to be evidence, I'll address it.

If it turns out to not be evidence for what they are claiming, I will continue to say I've seen no evidence to back their claim.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 11:36 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

As far as second degree murder - (we will ignore your gambling red herring)

Pointing out what the law says is hardly a red hearing.

parados wrote:
To you no. To the prosecutors, yes. To the jury, we will have to wait and see. You have made a decision that simply refuses to put the evidence together as a whole and then you argue minutia.

No, I made a decision to look at what the law actually requires, and have pointed out that nothing Zimmerman did could possibly meet the requirements of second degree murder.

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Actually, it's very relevant. If I can't reasonably show someone got in the car then I certainly can't show they were driving it. We can assume they got in it if they got out of it but that still makes the getting in relevant.

Silliness.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 11:37 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Yawn... the law doesn't include the words "depraved heart"

It is very clear that they defined their second degree murder charge as Depraved Heart Murder.

parados wrote:
nor does it include the word "gamble" You are free to argue it means that but you are not free to argue the law says that.

Depraved Heart Murder is when you knowingly do something incredibly risky, which amounts to gambling with peoples' lives.
0 Replies