Do you think Zimmerman will be convicted of murder?

oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 10:22 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
The fact that you refuse to acknowledge any deficiencies does not mean that they do not exist.

The fact that no one can point out any deficiencies is telling however.

Maybe not so much in your case. You have no idea what you are talking about, so your inability to point out any flaws in my argument is more a reflection of your general incompetence than anything else.

However Parados has an idea what he is talking about, and note the way he is just sort of arguing in circles with nonsense about "me being Florida" instead of directly confronting any errors that I might supposedly be making.

If I were making any real errors, Parados would be pointing them out.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 10:23 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Orally can barely function in reality, let alone hypothetical situations.

Says the clown who can't point our any flaws in my position.

Your position that you are Florida?

Don't be silly.

parados wrote:
I think that flaw has been pointed out and you ignore it.

I've never claimed to be Florida. I prefer to deal with challenges to the position I actually state.

parados wrote:
Florida doesn't define it's law as depraved heart. It never uses that definition in it's law. When you claim they do, it is a flaw in your position.

No, it is very clear that Florida defined second degree murder so that it is Depraved Heart Murder.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 10:24 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:
Is it 2nd degree murder if you play Russian roulette and someone shoots themselves?

In a state that defines second degree murder as depraved heart murder, oddly enough, probably yes.

Are you saying that if they put someone in a position where they may be hurt even if you don't intend to kill them that is 2nd degree murder?

Well, it is Depraved Heart Murder (assuming it was done with a severe degree of callousness).

And in Florida, second degree murder is Depraved heart Murder.

parados wrote:
Are you saying the person charged with 2nd degree murder is in no danger? Heck, they don't even have to pull the trigger.

No. I don't think that would matter either way.
oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 10:25 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
oralloy, if you assert that your comments are fact based, and connected to reality, cite some references from Florida case law to support your statements regarding what the state of Florida has to prove in a 2nd degree murder charge.

Why? The language of the statute is clear enough.
oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 10:28 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
oralloy fails to see that, by charging Zimmerman with 2nd degree murder, they also intend to prove that he created the dangerous condition that led to the death of Martin.

That will likely include Zimmerman's getting out of his car, following, and confronting Martin--which are all provocative actions, which point to Zimmerman as the instigator and creator of the dangerous condition for Martin. What made the condition most dangerous for the unarmed Martin was the fact that Zimmerman was armed with a weapon while doing all of those things. And, after provoking Martin into a fight, Zimmerman needlessly killed him with that weapon while Martin was trying to defend himself from someone he saw as menacing him.

Now all they need is some sort of evidence that Zimmerman confronted Trayvon, and provoked the fight.

firefly wrote:
And, what motivated Zimmerman's actions to respond to Martin as "suspicious", to call the police, and to follow and confront him, seems mainly based on racial profiling--he was a young black male wearing a hoodie, and fit Zimmerman's perception of criminal types in that housing complex--and fit Zimmerman's perception of the (criminal) person he was shooting at when he killed him. Acting on such erroneous perceptions--and the animus inherent in them--would also constitute a "deranged mind".

No, to prove a depraved mind, they would need to show that Zimmerman shot Trayvon for the fun of it, without seeing him as any threat whatsoever.

firefly wrote:
And, if oralloy would bother to look at and read the evidence which has been made publicly available, he would see that there is evidence to back up a charge of 2nd degree murder based on that sort of scenario, and to challenge Zimmerman's claim of justifiable self-defense.

The scenario you described justifies a manslaughter charge, not second degree murder.

And no, there has not been much in the way of evidence to back up that scenario.

firefly wrote:
The state may, or may not, be able to convince a jury at trial, but they do have evidence to support a 2nd degree murder charge.

No. There have not been any plausible scenarios presented where Zimmerman shot Trayvon for the fun of it, without any fear that he was in danger.
firefly

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 10:51 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

The language of the Florida statute is quite clear, but you haven't been referring to, or using, the language of the statute.

Nowhere in the statute does it refer to "depraved heart".

oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 10:53 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
What Orally fails to see is that sites like free republic are full of nutjobs talking to nutjobs, and are completely disconnected from reality.

Well, since I've never thought much about them to begin with, if your description of them were true I guess it would stand to reason that I'd fail to see it.

That said, I'm sure they don't share your tendency to babble about things they have no hope of understanding, so that's something they have going for them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 10:57 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
oralloy wrote:

The language of the Florida statute is quite clear, but you haven't been referring to, or using, the language of the statute.

Well, since the language just describes Depraved Heart Murder, it is generally easier to refer to Depraved Heart Murder by name.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 11:04 am
@oralloy,
Except that an alligator egg is not the same as a chicken egg.
firefly

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 11:05 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Now all they need is some sort of evidence that Zimmerman confronted Trayvon, and provoked the fight.

They have it--that's why the girl who was on the phone with Martin, while Zimmerman was following him, and when he finally confronted Martin, is an important witness.

You are simply unfamiliar with the evidence in this case.
Quote:
No, to prove a depraved mind, they would need to show that Zimmerman shot Trayvon for the fun of it, without seeing him as any threat whatsoever.

Laughing You have to be joking--you can't possibly be that clueless about the law, can you?
Prove you're not that clueless by citing actual Florida law to back up that statement.

oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 11:12 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
oralloy wrote:

They have it--that's why the girl who was on the phone with Martin, while Zimmerman was following him, and when he finally confronted Martin, is an important witness.

Her phone call does not prove that Zimmerman confronted Trayvon.

firefly wrote:
You are simply unfamiliar with the evidence in this case.

No, I have a good handle on it.

firefly wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Laughing You have to be joking--you can't possibly be that clueless about the law, can you?

I accurately stated what would be required for a depraved mind.

The only one who has no clue about the law here is you.

firefly wrote:
Prove you're not that clueless by citing actual Florida law to back up that statement.

Not necessary. The statute is quite clearly referring to Depraved Heart Murder.
oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 11:12 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

If you have some sort of plausible case that Florida's second degree murder statute is somehow not depraved heart murder, feel free to present that case.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 11:30 am
@oralloy,
You're the one insisting that they're one and the same. I have no interest in what a "depraved heart murder" is, because I can refer directly to the Florida law.

It's some kind of bizarre mirror to the strawman fallacy.

firefly

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 11:36 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:

To oralloy, an egg is an egg. He's not a deep thinker. Laughing

He also seems unaware that a jury is given a copy of the Florida law defining 2nd degree murder--exactly as it is written. And the state, and the judge, will define all elements of that statute for the jury--according to Florida law. The jury is not free to make up their own definitions, or interpretations, as oralloy is doing.

firefly

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 11:43 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

No, you did not cite actual Florida law on the meaning of "depraved mind"--or how it has been interpreted in actual Florida case law--so there is no factual basis for your claim of accuracy.
oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 11:45 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
You're the one insisting that they're one and the same.

Well, since they are the same, I might as well tell the truth about it.

DrewDad wrote:
I have no interest in what a "depraved heart murder" is, because I can refer directly to the Florida law.

If you don't know what Depraved Heart Murder even is, it seems pretty silly to keep claiming that it is different from Florida law.

DrewDad wrote:
It's some kind of bizarre mirror to the strawman fallacy.

No, it was just me pointing out reality again, as I am wont to do.
parados

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 11:48 am
@oralloy,
So in other words if someone acts in a callous fashion with a loaded gun that leads to the death of another that is 2nd degree murder.

Zimmerman loaded a gun. He went out with it even though he shouldn't have when performing neighborhood watch duties. He followed someone he thought might be committing a crime and did so even though advised not to and neighborhood watch rules so to not follow. That leads to the conclusion that it fits the definition of 2nd degree murder. Zimmerman committed a series of acts that when totaled can show he had a complete disregard for safety of others. He showed a callous disregard when he ignored the protocol of not carrying a gun when on neighborhood watch. He showed a callous disregard when he followed Martin instead of staying in the car. It is not a single act. It is the totality of what Zimmerman did that leads to the charge of 2nd degree.
oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 11:54 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
He's not a deep thinker. Laughing

You trash shouldn't run around falsely accusing your betters of your own simplicity.

firefly wrote:
The jury is not free to make up their own definitions, or interpretations, as oralloy is doing.

You are the only one here who has been concocting fake definitions for legal terms.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 11:57 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
oralloy wrote:

No, you did not cite actual Florida law on the meaning of "depraved mind"--or how it has been interpreted in actual Florida case law--so there is no factual basis for your claim of accuracy.

No one has made any plausible case that Florida uses a different meaning for "depraved mind" from the meaning used by rest of the world.

Therefore it is enough for me to merely point out the way the rest of the world uses the term.

Now, if you want to present some sort of case that Florida defines all their terms in a way that is incompatible with the way they are used in the rest of the legal universe, maybe that would justify some extra effort to look up their "special definitions".

Otherwise, it is safe to just assume that their legal terms mean the same thing that they mean in any other legal system.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 12:14 pm
@oralloy,
I have read the Florida law, and it does not match with what you're describing. I have no need to research your blather.

God, you're boring.