Do you think Zimmerman will be convicted of murder?

gungasnake

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 11:19 am
@parados,
The thing which amazes me more than anything else about pistols is how easy it is to totally miss a basketball-sized target from 40' away. I wouldn't know how to do that with one of my hunting bows.
firefly

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 11:26 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
There is no indication that Zimmerman "confronted" Martin; Zimmerman was returning to his vehicle and Martin confronted and attacked him.

Why was Zimmerman even outside of his vehicle?

He saw someone he thought was acting suspiciously, and he called police, who were on their way to investigate. This was not an urgent situation. Martin wasn't bothering anyone, including Zimmerman. As a "neighborhood watch" Zimmerman's obligation was simply to report his observations to police, not to follow, or investigate, or intervene on his own--in fact, doing such things is contra to neighborhood watch guidelines. There was no reason for Zimmerman to have been outside of his vehicle, other than his poor judgment and lack of impulse control.

This wanna-be cop couldn't control himself until the real police showed up to do their job, and he provoked a senseless, and needless, killing of an unarmed teen because of his poor judgment and his lack of self control.
Quote:
Martin had been thrown out of school for possession of burglary tools, was going about some business with two of the basic ingredients for the drug concoction called "purple drank" in his possession, and may actually have taken Zimmerman for another burglar impinging on his (Martin's) turf.

The damage sustained by Zimmerman for so vanishingly near zero provocation strongly indicates that lives other than Zimmerman's were likely saved by Zimmerman's cutting this young career criminal's criminal career short at the age of 17.

And what have you been smoking that helped to generate those fantasies?

Zimmerman was the one with a criminal arrest record...

Zimmerman was the one with a legal history of aggressive behaviors...

At his first bail hearing, Zimmerman also showed the world he has no compunctions about lying, even in court --after he tried to conceal his assets by transferring his money between accounts.

Zimmerman is the one with credibility problems....
BillRM

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 11:34 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
The thing which amazes me more than anything else about pistols is how easy it is to totally miss a basketball-sized target from 40' away. I wouldn't know how to do that with one of my hunting bows

A hunting bow with razor sharp hunting tip arrows are a far more deadly weapon then most handguns with far greater range beside.

Of course it is hard to conceal such a weapon.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 01:27 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Yeah, our 'takes' are about the same.

No, they are not. But I can read behind the sarky lines and will move on.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 01:49 pm
The tragedy is that this whole deadly conflict would never have happened had Trayvon simply been armed himself.
BillRM

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 02:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The tragedy is that this whole deadly conflict would never have happened had Trayvon simply been armed himself

LoL first we do not allow 17 years olds to have CC license in florida, second the whole thing would not had occur if Trayvon had not attacked Zimmerman.

When you attacked someone and placed them in fear of serous harm or death assuming they have the abilities to fight back you are placing your life in their hands as they surely do have a right to killed you if need be to stop the attack.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 02:31 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Why was Zimmerman even outside of his vehicle?

Because several houses in that neighborhood had recently been burglarized by people whose appearances were entirely similar to that of Trayvon Martin.

Zimmerman was trying to keep the police apprised of Martin' whereabouts, which is entirely legal and posed no danger or threat to Martin. Zimmerman did not provoke the attack; the attack was brought on by drugs and attitude problems and, as I noted, it appears likely that Martin took Zimmerman for another burglar and was protecting what he viewed as his turf in much the same manner as lions take offense at other/unrelated lions moving into their hunting territories.
firefly

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 02:31 pm
Quote:
Dec 4, 2012
George Zimmerman Lawyers Say Bloody Nose Photo Creates Doubt
ABC News’ Seni Tienabeso (@SeniABC) reports:

Lawyers for George Zimmerman believe that a newly released color photo of injuries their client sustained during his fatal altercation with Trayvon Martin and an alleged conversation involving Martin’s father create doubts about the strength of the murder case against the former neighborhood watch captain.

The color photo, which was released months ago in black-and-white form, shows Zimmerman’s swollen and bruised nose with blood dripping down his mouth. The image was released on the Zimmerman defense website, gzlegalcase.com. His attorneys released the image publicly Monday, along with a separate motion asking Sanford police investigator William Irwin to take another deposition because of comments he made that came to their attention after his first deposition.

Zimmerman’s attorneys say in the document that they learned after initially taking Irwin’s deposition that he told Sanford police Captain Robert O’Connor about overhearing a potentially damaging conversation between Martin’s father and lead investigator Chris Serino.

In the alleged conversation, Irwin, who took the voice stress test on Zimmerman after his deadly confrontation with Martin, said he heard Tracy Martin, the unarmed teen’s father, tell Serino that the still unidentified screams in those now-infamous calls did not belong to his son.

In the stress-test and throughout various interrogations, Zimmerman maintained that he acted in self-defense when he shot and killed Martin because he believed the teen, who he says attacked him, was going to cause severe bodily injury to him if he did not do something. Zimmerman maintains that he was screaming for help, and shot Martin, 17, only after being repeatedly pummeled by the teen, who was walking back to his father’s girlfriends home from 7-Eleven after buying Skittles and tea.

Zimmerman’s attorneys call the conversation in the motion “significant,” saying “the primary issue in this case, if not the sole issue to be decided either by this court at a Self Defense Immunity hearing or by a jury at trial is whether Zimmerman was acting in self-defense.”

The elder Martin has disputed this police account in the past with both he and the teenager’s mother saying that they believed the cries for help belonged to their son, and any misstatements happened during the early confusion of not knowing what happened to their son.

Audio test of the screams on the 911 call, which was placed by a neighbor near the scene, have not conclusively linked the cry for help to either Zimmerman or Martin, casting another layer of doubt in this story.

This latest information was released as Zimmerman’s defense continues to gather evidence it will use in a “Stand-Your-Ground” self-defense hearing next year that, if the court sides with Zimmerman, could mean he never actually goes to trial for second-degree murder, as charged.

In the past few weeks, his defense has been interviewing officers involved in the early investigation, many of whom believed there was insufficient evidence to arrest Zimmerman.

Serino, the lead investigator who recommended charges be filed early on, hired Casey Anthony attorney Jose Baez in a highly unusual move last week. Audio and video taken days after the shooting showed that Serino was tough on Zimmerman during several interrogations, openly questioning his self-defense claim.

“You ever hear of Murphy’s law,” Serino asked during a Feb. 29 audio interrogation. “This person was not doing anything bad.”

Serino then questioned the extent of Zimmerman’s injuries, telling him that they didn’t appear consistent with someone involved in a life-or-death struggle

A few weeks later, in a March 13 affidavit, Serino wrote, “I believe there exists probable cause … charging George Zimmerman with Manslaughter.”

In a separate interview with the FBI, however, Serino told agents that he was feeling the pressure to file charges against Zimmerman.

Zimmerman’s defense has already listed several members of the Sanford police department as potential witnesses, and has stated it will claim that public pressure and a lack of evidence led to charges being filed against their client.

All this activity comes as Zimmerman remains in hiding and low on cash. A message on his defense website saying that he would sign “Thank You Cards” to supporters who donated to his fund has been publicly ridiculed.

Donations to his fund have dwindled in recent months, and the once-large reserve he had never fully recovered from the new bail he posted after being re-arrested for making false claims in court about the state of his finances.

Those claims also briefly landed his wife, Shellie, who still faces perjury charges, behind bars.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/12/george-zimmerman-lawyers-say-bloody-nose-photo-creates-doubt/

I don't think that either the new photo, or any comments made by Martin's father, help to raise reasonable doubt. There was a brief physical altercation immediately prior to the shooting, but Zimmerman did not receive any life-threatening injuries, nor any serious injuries for that matter, and the photo does nothing to dispel that impression--it suggests nothing more than a punch in the nose.

The new photo does not answer the question of whether Martin reacted defensively--because he was in fear of Zimmerman, a stranger who had been acting in a possibly menacing manner by observing, and following, him on a dark rainy night, as Martin was returning to the residence where he was a guest. It is easy to imagine why a teen might have felt threatened in that sort of situation--and it is consistent with what Martin said to the girlfriend he was speaking to on his cell phone at the time. Zimmerman had been pursuing him--and Martin had every reason to believe that Zimmerman might have intended to harm him.

Zimmerman's lawyer is obviously trying to drum up support, and donations, for his client. I'm not surprised that donations to the legal defense fund dwindled after the revelation of Zimmerman's deceptiveness at his first bond hearing. That self-inflicted wound to his own credibility casts doubt on his credibility in general, including the credibility of the often conflicting accounts of events that he gave to the police. That might make many people more reluctant to throw more money his way.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 02:47 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
the attack was brought on by drugs and attitude problems...

On Zimmerman's part perhaps. He was the one we know had an attitude problem--he had been court-ordered to take anger management classes in the past, and he was the one on psychiatric medication for poor impulse control.
Quote:
it appears likely that Martin took Zimmerman for another burglar and was protecting what he viewed as his turf in much the same manner as lions take offense at other/unrelated lions moving into their hunting territories.

Right, iced tea and a bag of Skittles are well known burglar tools. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 04:14 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
There is no indication that Zimmerman "confronted" Martin;

As far as I can tell, there is really no evidence at all about that critical moment either way. My scenario involves guesses on what I think most likely happened at several stages.

Unless others are privy to information I have missed they are all doing the same, and guessing what they think most likely happened in the gaps of knowledge the available evidence leaves.

My guess is that Zimmerman pursued Martin, my guess is also that Martin attacked Zimmerman for racially profiling him or because the confrontation startled him (I suspect the former because I think he knew he was being observed and racially profiled from the truck), and my guess is that Zimmerman was getting the worst of a fight when he shot Martin (as opposed to it being a more cold-blooded scenario I have seen others propose).

Those are all guesses and as far as I have read there is no strong evidence to resolve any of those key points, making this a Rorschach test of a case. In my case I just go for the poker-style method of picking what I think was most probable of a situation in each case. Of course the most probable thing doesn't always happen, and over 3 guesses even if each of my guesses is 75% probably there is almost a 60% chance that I am wrong on one of them. And being wrong on any one guess can make the difference between whose culpability you subscribe to.

I think what you have seen in the Rorschach test says more about you than the case. And that your strength of conviction about it is unfounded.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 05:10 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The law is not about what we suspect, it is about what can be proven. Not having any way to determine for sure what happened here the state should have never arrested zimmerman. This is abuse of a citizen at the hands of the state.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 05:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

The law is not about

hawkeye10 wrote:
determine for sure

Speaking of "the law," "the law" is not about "determin[ing] for sure," either.

Usually, our laws refer to "reasonableness." Like, self-defense is justified when "a reasonable person" would believe their life to be in danger.

The burden of proof is "beyond a reasonable doubt," not "beyond any question of a doubt."

I suspect that the prosecution will be able to show that a reasonable person would not believe their life to be in danger from a skinny seventeen-year-old armed with Skittles.
oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 05:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
There is no indication that Zimmerman "confronted" Martin;

As far as I can tell, there is really no evidence at all about that critical moment either way. My scenario involves guesses on what I think most likely happened at several stages.

Unless others are privy to information I have missed they are all doing the same, and guessing what they think most likely happened in the gaps of knowledge the available evidence leaves.

There was a map from some blogger that Parados posted, which estimated the path/timeline.

It was intended to be anti-Zimmerman, but the estimated position for when Zimmerman was advised that they did not need him to pursue, is pretty close to the spot where the shooting occurred three minutes later.

If the map was accurate, that seems to indicate that Zimmerman halted his pursuit when advised.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 06:04 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
The burden of proof is "beyond a reasonable doubt," not "beyond any question of a doubt."

so when the evidence makes no conclusion, as seems to be the case here, the state should have nothing to say on the matter.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 06:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
Because the prosecution always releases its entire case prior to trial.....
firefly

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 07:15 pm
Zimmerman claims Martin grabbed his head and pounded it on the sidewalk, yet none of Zimmerman's DNA was found on Martin's hands.

Trayvon Martin's DNA was not found on Zimmerman's gun.

With all the punching Zimmerman claims he received, none of his blood was found on Martin's hoodie.

The lack of DNA evidence to support his version of events, raises serious questions about Zimmerman's credibility regarding self-defense.
Quote:
Sep 28, 2012
TheWashingtonPost
George Zimmerman’s bloody mess
By Jonathan Capehart

What Mark Osterman and his wife, Sondra, write in “Defending Our Friend: The Most Hated Man in America” isn’t exactly new. Their book on George Zimmerman, the killer of Trayvon Martin, is an amplification of what Mr. Osterman told agents from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) on April 26. Zimmerman and his wife stayed with his mentor, a former Seminole County deputy, in the weeks after the Feb. 26 shooting.

But Osterman’s retelling of Zimmerman’s retelling of the tragic event raises serious questions about what really happened that rainy night. Chief among them: Where is the DNA evidence to corroborate Zimmerman’s story? For a man claiming self-defense in a life-and-death struggle, there appears to be precious little of it.

We know what Zimmerman says happened: Trayvon punched him in the face. There was a struggle, but the unarmed 17-year-old got on top of the 28-year-old and started slamming his head into the concrete. Curses were hurled. A flurry of punches were thrown at Zimmerman’s head and face by Trayvon. Zimmerman’s mouth and nose were covered by Trayvon. Zimmerman said he shot the teenager before he could get a hold of the neighborhood watch volunteer’s gun.

In that April interview with police, Osterman added some details Zimmerman had not. According to the report from FDLE, Osterman said that Trayvon “then observed or felt the handgun on Zimmerman’s side, took his other hand away from Zimmerman’s nose and reached for the handgun stating, “You’re gonna die tonight, m-----f-----.” Zimmerman then “slapped Martin’s hand away from the handgun, rotated the weapon and fired one round.”

In Osterman’s book, this detail is added to the Zimmerman recounting.
Somehow, I broke his grip on the gun where the guy grabbed it between the rear sight and the hammer.

The DNA evidence released by the prosecution two weeks ago revealed that Trayvon’s DNA was not on Zimmerman’s gun. Actually, that evidence had been among DNA evidence released earlier. Its significance was lost on me then. But given all that we know now, those DNA reports are a treasure trove of information that collectively raise more questions about (or poke more holes in) Zimmerman’s story.

Trayvon’s hands — how they were found versus what Zimmerman said he did with them — have long fascinated me. Now, there’s Trayvon’s fingernails.

Zimmerman claimed that Trayvon grabbed his head and slammed it into the sidewalk. Yet, “Exhibit ME-2,” fingernail scrapings from Trayvon, only showed the presence of blood from his right hand. “No DNA results foreign to Trayvon Benjamin Martin ...were found....” Translation: Zimmerman’s blood isn’t present.

For all the punching claimed by Zimmerman and the injuries he suffered — the bloody nose, the bloody back of the head — “Exhibit ME-12,” Trayvon’s hoodie, had no traces of Zimmerman’s blood on it. There were three stains, two of which “gave chemical indications for the presence of blood.” Only one had a partial DNA profile that matched Trayvon. The right cuff, left cuff and lower sleeves of both arms of the hoodie found “No DNA results foreign to Trayvon Benjamin Martin....”

Of the four stains that “gave chemical indications for the presence of blood” on “Exhibit ME-8,” the shirt Trayvon wore underneath his hoodie, only one matched Zimmerman. Two matched Trayvon. The major and minor contributors for the fourth stain “could not be determined.” The right cuff and lower sleeve of the shirt had no DNA “foreign to” Trayvon. The left cuff and lower sleeve had “the presence of at least two individuals.” It is “assum[ed]” that Trayvon is the major contributor. But because of “the limited nature of the results . . . no determination can be made regarding the possible contribution" of Zimmerman to that DNA mix.

According to Kendall Coffey, former U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Florida, under normal circumstances, “ambiguities about DNA evidence favors the defense.” But he added, “This case has a distinction. That George Zimmerman says Trayvon Martin was trying to kill him. In a self-defense case, ambiguities in DNA can undermine a case of self-defense.”

Those ambiguities that undermine Zimmerman’s claim of self-defense don’t only apply to Trayvon’s clothing. They apply to Zimmerman’s, as well. And as you’ll see in my next blog post, the case where nothing makes sense — nothing —makes even less sense.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/post/george-zimmermans-bloody-mess/2012/09/28/e204d598-09a4-11e2-858a-5311df86ab04_blog.html

Quote:
George Zimmerman’s bloody nose
Posted by Jonathan Capehart on December 3, 2012

Lawyers for George Zimmerman, the killer of Trayvon Martin, released a photo today of their client’s bloody nose taken moments after he shot the unarmed teenager. As the Orlando Sentinel reports, this photo isn’t new. A grainy photocopied version was in a batch of evidence released by the prosecution months ago. Yet to see Zimmerman’s clearly battered and bloodied nose in vivid color is bracing.

Once again, we are confronted with a visual reminder of the confrontation, the struggle and the killing that took place on that rainy evening on Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla. This the latest in a series of photos showing Zimmerman’s injuries that will surely renew questions about what happened that night. No doubt his supporters will say they prove him innocent of the second-degree murder charge against him.

But today’s bloody photo doesn’t solve the mystery of Trayvon’s hands. There were “No DNA results foreign to Trayvon Benjamin Martin” found on them. Also, in a written statement, during a jailhouse interview and a reenactment the next day, Zimmerman said that he pulled the dead teen’s arms away from his body after killing him. Yet, the police officer who arrived on the scene noted in his report, “The black male had his hands underneath his body.” Until that question — among many — is answered, Zimmerman’s dubious claim of self-defense will remain suspect.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2012/12/03/george-zimmermans-bloody-nose/
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 07:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
The law is not about what we suspect, it is about what can be proven.

Nowhere did I say otherwise, I merely stated my own speculations and you decided it was something you wanted to make this straw man out of.

And the law just doesn't work with the absolutism that you seem to think. Many times people are convicted without airtight evidence and any functional legal system necessarily must include a greater degree of doubt than your absolutist position.

The deal is not "prove it beyond the shadow of a doubt". Just beyond what the law considers to be a reasonable one and the interpretation of what that is is a living breathing thing.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 07:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You know, if we had some way that both sides could be presented in a fair way to a panel of unbiased citizens who would hear and consider all of the facts before making a decision...

I think that would be the way to settle these questions. If only we had something like that all of this half-baked speculation wouldn't be necessary and may even seem foolish.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 07:43 pm
@maxdancona,
That's silly. Just because courts are the naturally correct place this case should be adjudicated does not mean we should not (or are foolish for) speculating to our curious hearts' content.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 07:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You know, if we had some way that both sides could be presented in a fair way to a panel of unbiased citizens who would hear and consider all of the facts before making a decision...

We do have that--it's called a trial. And Zimmerman now has a trial date.