Do you think Zimmerman will be convicted of murder?

mysteryman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 08:04 am
@snood,
I am making a public apology to Snood for asking the question the way I did. It was poorly worded and I didn't explain my reason for asking it.
If Zimmerman is convicted, I will accept that and not complain, because the system will have worked the way its supposed to.
Likewise if he is aquitted.

So to Snood. I am issueing a public mea culpa, and no matter what the verdict is I will accept it and move in, as confident as I can be that the system worked the way it should.?
snood

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 08:05 am
As I said early in this or another Zimmerman/Martin thread, I don't care what race the shooter or the decedent is. In this case what's important was whether or not the shooting can be justified in court. Initially I did have a lot of problems with the fact that law enforcement would never have even arrested Zimmerman without a National outcry. I think that aspect of it may have had some racial undertones (would the shooter be so taken at his word had the races of the parties involved been reversed?). How "stand your ground" laws are interpreted and enforced after this case is the central thing, IMO.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 08:07 am
@mysteryman,
I accepted your apology in private and do so in public. I think its important that eveyone try to be clear-eyed about the precedent that this case sets, and race is just not the central concern there.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 08:17 am
@Krumple,
I suspect that they're very callusly trying to walk a fine line. A lot of their money is coming from folks who are happy that he shot a black kid. If he starts distancing himself from that, that money dries up.
BillRM

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 09:31 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Actually he did call 911 but he was cut off by zimmerman.

Please back up that claim with links.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:12 pm
@mysteryman,
I admire you for making that public apology, MM. You're a true gentleman.
snood

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 05:12 pm
@firefly,
It certainly was a class move. Kudos, MM.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 03:35 pm
Quote:
Zimmerman judge wins high marks in poll
July 26, 2012|
By Rene Stutzman, Orlando Sentinel

Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester Jr., who presides over the George Zimmerman murder case, is one of the highest-ranked jurists in Central Florida, according to a recent poll of criminal defense attorneys.

Lester, a 15-year veteran of the bench who works in Sanford, received uniformly high marks for his legal knowledge, demeanor, impartiality and diligence.

His overall score was 4.55, closer to "excellent" (5) than "good" (4) on the five-point scale used by the Central Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.

The group annually polls its members, other defense attorneys and prosecutors, asking them to rate area judges who handle criminal cases on their legal knowledge, impartiality, demeanor and freedom from bias.

This year, they rated 70 judges.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-07-26/news/os-zimmerman-judge-poll-20120726_1_lowest-rated-judge-poll-participant-george-zimmerman
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:04 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Krumple wrote:
Why lump trayvon into a example as if he were guilty of some crime?

Assault with an attempted to do serous damage is a felony so off hand I would say he was likely guilty of a crime.

Second note following someone on a public street is not a crime attacking someone for daring to follow you is a crime..............

Actually, it is possible that they were both attacking each other in self defense, both having misunderstood the intentions of the other. In such a case, neither committed a crime.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:05 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
"The funny thing is" that following someone is something only "silly people" would interpret to be "the right of self defense".

The self defense didn't come when Zimmerman was following Trayvon. The self defense came when Zimmerman was being violently assaulted.

firefly wrote:
If someone is a threat or a danger to you, you don't follow them, you try to get away from them

Not if you want to keep tabs on their location for the police.

firefly wrote:
avoiding getting closer to the possibly dangerous person would be true self-defense.

If you're really interested in self-defense, you use your brain, not your gun

No, guns work best for self defense.

firefly wrote:
you use your brain, not your gun--although, in your case, that woud be admittedly hard to do.

Childish insults are no substitute for a factual argument.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:11 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
There are facts in the case that prove that zimmerman followed and gave chase to trayvon.

Only until the dispatcher said they didn't need him to follow Trayvon.

After that, it looks like Zimmerman stayed in the same spot for three minutes until the confrontation ensued.

Krumple wrote:
However; you want to ignore these facts.

I haven't ignored any facts that I've seen presented to me.

If there are any facts that you feel are not in evidence here, feel free to present them.

Krumple wrote:
Things like dropped items such as cellphones and papers. It paints of picture of zimmerman actually moving from his car to chase down travyon.

Does that picture account for Zimmerman not following Trayvon for the three minutes between "when the dispatcher said he didn't need to follow" and "when the confrontation occurred"?

Krumple wrote:
Not only that but there is a witness which is travyons girlfriend who he had called. She told him to run when travyon said to her that he thinks this guy is following him. He told her he didn't want to run and look suspecious but she kept pleading with him to run which he finally did but it was too late because zimmerman had caught up to him and thats when travyon dropped his phone.

If Zimmerman caught up to Trayvon, how come the confrontation occurred in the same area where, three minutes earlier, the dispatcher advised Zimmerman that they did not need him to follow?

Krumple wrote:
I have seen pictures of the crime scene and they document where items belonging to both travyon and zimmerman were found and according to the police when these items were in their possession and most likely dropped in their opinions. It shows that zimmerman was the chaser here while travyon was trying to flee the scene unsuccessfully.

Did the police have any explanation for Zimmerman staying in the same area for the three minutes before the confrontation ensued?

Krumple wrote:
Not only this but neiborhood watch programs specifically suggest that you never follow or persue a suspect if you think they have been involved in a crime. Instead you are suppose to just report to the police what you have witnessed. This is the number one rule that zimmerman broke and should have followed yet neglected to consider because he has a complex. Either he is racist and assumed trayvon was guilty of something or he wants to be a police officer and have a power trip on controling other people.

Nah. He just wanted to help protect his neighborhood.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:13 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
BillRM wrote:
Following and giving chase is not one and the same thing and in any case nether actions would justify his assault on Zimmerman.

If he was concern he had a cell phone to call for help either to the police or to his family and he did neither.

Actually he did call 911 but he was cut off by zimmerman.

Why haven't the news media been reporting the logs of this call?

And how was he calling 911 at the same time he was on the phone with his girlfriend? Did he have two phones?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:19 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
I don't like that a national outcry had to be raised before this killing even got real scrutiny from law enforcement.

I don't think that is the case. They took Zimmerman in for interviews. They tried to get the prosecutor to bring manslaughter charges against him. The prosecutor empaneled a grand jury to hear the case.

What sort of scrutiny were they not giving him?
firefly

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:22 pm
Quote:
The New York Times
July 27, 2012
Those ‘On the Job’ Who Go Unarmed
By FRANCIS X. CLINES

John Hyland is the epitome of an urban cop, his Bronx accent biting as he names the precincts he’s worked — “the five-oh, the four-eight, all of them.” His street savvy undeniable after 28 years in uniform: “When you been there and done it, you kind of know the situation.” Except he was never a cop, only a New York City auxiliary policeman, one of the corps of more than 4,500 civilian volunteers who can be seen patrolling the streets any night of the year. They show a reassuring presence in N.Y.P.D. blue, fully equipped with precinct radios, incident notebooks, a baton on their belt and a seven-point-star badge.

But no gun. Absolutely no gun.

“That Florida shooting — very bad news,” said Mr. Hyland, ruing the behavior of George Zimmerman, the self-appointed neighborhood watchman who drew his pistol and claimed “stand your ground” self-defense in killing Trayvon Martin, an unarmed 17-year-old. The case, which has consumed the nation, made Mr. Hyland count the blessings of not packing a gun in his rounds.

“The people chat us up, thank us. We let them know we’re around, watch after them, roll by the synagogue during Passover,” said Mr. Hyland, whose record before he retired from the auxiliary force included saving lives, like the driver of a flaming car, a venture that won him the force’s Award of Valor.

Out-of-towners may imagine New York as a Sam Peckinpah variation on Dodge City, but the men and women auxiliary officers — some people affectionately call them wannabe cops — seem a far better, certainly less lethal way to have a neighborhood watch. They are extensively trained and work firmly in the control of precinct officers, with no pay except an allowance for the uniforms they smartly wear.

And absolutely no gun.

Auxiliary Sergeant Hyland, whose day job was 33 years with the phone company, figured prominently in that policy after two auxiliary officers were fatally shot five years ago. A blue ribbon committee considered changes, and he was a member as the president of the Auxiliary Police Benevolent Association.

“I recommended no guns — make it across the board, absolutely no guns for us,” Mr. Hyland said. “I mean, some guys might be good with them, some not good,” he explained, terse but proud enough about the city’s neighborhood watch.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/opinion/those-on-the-job-who-go-unarmed.html?scp=1&sq=no%20guns&st=Search

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:29 pm
@firefly,
I dont know that Zimmerman patrolled with a gun, I only know that he had it one day as he was going to Target.

The facts keep getting in the way of your agenda dont they......
firefly

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I dont know that Zimmerman patrolled with a gun

He sure did the evening he spotted, followed, and killed, Trayvon Martin--as he allegedly was performing his neighborhood watch duties...
oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:45 pm
@mysteryman,
snood wrote:
I won't have a warm fuzzy that justice has been done. If they acquit him, I will have to accept it.

. . . .

But yeah - if they cut him loose, I won't be raising a big stink about racism. If they convict him, I trust we won't be hearing a peep out of you, and you'll quietly accept that the system has worked.

mysteryman wrote:
If Zimmerman is convicted, I will accept that and not complain, because the system will have worked the way its supposed to.
Likewise if he is aquitted.

. . . .

no matter what the verdict is I will accept it and move in, as confident as I can be that the system worked the way it should.

I think both of you are wrong here.

If it looks to either of you like the verdict does not reflect the facts, by all means, speak out, and speak out loudly. You can bet everyone will hear from me if I find the verdict unjust.

Now, you should also provide a reason why you believe the verdict is unjust.

Not just "I think it was wrong."

But rather "I think it was wrong because...."

But if you think it's wrong, speak up. This belief people have that jury verdicts should just be accepted without complaint is insane.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:47 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
I dont know that Zimmerman patrolled with a gun

He sure did the evening he spotted, followed, and killed, Trayvon Martin--as he allegedly was performing his neighborhood watch duties...

I love *sarcasm* how willing you are to massively change the definition of words to suit you....

Quote:
patrol

a : the action of traversing a district or beat or of going the rounds along a chain of guards for observation or the maintenance of security
b : the person performing such an action
c : a unit of persons or vehicles employed for reconnaissance, security, or combat

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/patrol

He was on his way to Target and stopped because he saw something suspicious...he was not by any reasonable definition "on patrol"
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 11:00 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
I suspect that they're very callusly trying to walk a fine line. A lot of their money is coming from folks who are happy that he shot a black kid. If he starts distancing himself from that, that money dries up.

Nonsense. That presumes that the people who send money to Zimmerman are just as despicable as you are. I doubt that.
BillRM

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 06:14 am
@oralloy,
I love Firefly and others trying to sell the idea that following someone on the public streets call for an attack on the follower and yet on the other hands an all out attack does not allow for self defense.

Or to but it another way if you are being follow on a public street you are allow to try to kill your follower but if you are knocked down with someone trying his best to pound out your brains on top of you there is no right to self defense.
0 Replies