HULLO OUT THERE -- this is earth calling !!!

jespah

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:16 am
I am here for you. The sun is over the yardarm somewhere and the Lovatts people are out in force.
dlowan

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:43 am
@jespah,
What the hell is that? Or...who the hell are they?
djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:44 am
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:47 am
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

K, conspiracy of the Titanic.

Was it really the Titanic, or its sister ship that wasn't insured and had issues.

Why were there very few life boats verses the amount of people on board.

And, wazzzz the Captain drunk and retired to bed alone, maybe, not sure.

Ha! I read a report of some research into who survives shipwrecks.

The Titanic is an unusual example of where the myth of women and children first actually held true. Because the captain ordered that men be shot if they grabbed the life boats first, which is apparently what normally happens.

From this I deduce that he was awake.
jespah

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:02 am

My apologies in advance. It was in my head; now it's in yours.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 09:58 am
@dlowan,
In plain Merkin it means its Miller Time somewhere and the folks whose lives circle about these inane crosswords that promise BIG CASH (but dont deliver) are all over the boards.

We must watch for our POE
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 10:55 am
@farmerman,
I have no desire to see how some engineer thinks things should be assembled.

and I don't read Chinese...
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 03:34 pm
@dlowan,
First I now have a song playing over and over in my mind, "Hello, is it me you're looking for " Smile And, secondly, so that leaves one only left.... Was it the Titantic or her sister who was damaged Smile

Now, I'm thinking of Princess Diane and that conspiracy Smile
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 03:42 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FS, you'd best stop thinking. Smile
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 03:51 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Do you grow pistachios in Hawaii? I couldnt live in a place that was pistachio-free. Our plans for inva----uh visitation to HAwaii are dependent upon this information.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 03:53 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
LOL's... At 6am? My mind goes a hundred miles an hour, maybe that's the Gemini in me...

I digress Smile
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 03:54 pm
@farmerman,
We tend to prefer the Macadamia nuts, Regalian. Try it; you'll like it.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I have friend who retired and bought a small coffee growing (you call em farms?) he had several macadamia nut trees in a small (2 acre) grove. He sends us macadamias and while they are OK , they are too much work for the flavor, I need my pistachio fix and we are eating the hell out of em now that they are reativey cheap. When I ived in the San Juaqin Valley of CAlif, they had all kinds of pistachio groves and wed buy these huge bags of em and eat em in our rental cars and turn the cars in with about a foot of pistachio shells on the floor.
He says that he gives a lot away to a food bank, do they use macadamias as a major food group over there?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:15 pm
@farmerman,
It's a commercial product, not necessarily all that popular among the locals. Most of the macademias grown here are packaged and sent to the mainland. There are a few fairly sizeable farms here on the Big Island that grow them. Locally, you're more likely to find them chocolate-coated in candy bars rather than being eaten by the handful from a bag. I'm sure some pistachios must be grown here as well but I don't think it's a major agri-industry. Macademias are fairly major. But, since the virtual demise of the sugar cane industry (there's only a very small handful of plantations and processing plants left), coffee is king.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
There I go seeking out only real sugared sodas. I buy Puerto Rican sodas and Mexican Coke and CAnadian sodas that use real sugar instead of that corn syrup crap.
Sugra is digested in the stomach and then the products are distributed through the system. Corn syrup goes right through and is distributed as a fructose right to the circ system. Its a semi reason weve got a diabetes pandemic.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:35 pm
@farmerman,
I'm totally with you on the sugar issue, fm. I just don't know whether any of those imported soft drinks you mention are available locally. In Honolulu, maybe. But I'm not that much of a soda drinker anyway. I swill coffee til bedtime and insist on real sugar in my joe. Those saccharine products like Sweet'n'Low and Splenda and what's-that-third-one are atrocious and potentially carcinogenic. In lab rats, anyway. Always amazes me how many people don't even realize that cane sugar is a natural sweetener, not much different from honey.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:43 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That "sugar is sugar" ad that the Corn Industry sponsors is a big lie. Even though sucrose (cane sugar) is fructose and glucose stuck together, its in a different molecular shape than is the form of fructose in high fructose corn sysrup. Our body breaks down sucrose in the intestine by an evolved enzyme "sucrase" . We dont have an enzyme "fructase", and as an aside, also most people dont have a" lactase" enzyme to break down milk sugar , lactose.

SO, theyve fed water with High fructose corn syrups to mice and then did a control where they fed a different batch of mice on sucrose-water. TheHigh Fructose corn syrup mice got waaay fat and the sucrose mice didnt.

The heath effects associated with the metabolizing of these sugars is causing the spike in obesity and diabetes.

I PREDICT--in the next buncha years a huuge case will be brought against the High Fructose Corns syrup mafrs and users because of the huuge rise in obesity and II diabetes.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 06:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I PREDICT--in the next buncha years a huuge case will be brought against the High Fructose Corns syrup mafrs and users because of the huuge rise in obesity and II diabetes.

I sure hope so. Maybe was can all get in on the class action.
0 Replies