What the Public Knows about the Political Parties Pew Research News IQ Quiz

raprap

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 08:35 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
To BumbleBeeBoo0gie

To some extent--I remember the south when my grandmother was the only white, female registered Republican in her township in South Carolina. As a result she was a 'Yankee'- nearly a curse word in the 50's and although she had moved to the Carolinas just after WWI (that's one) she remained a 'Yankee' the rest of her life . As she said her acceptance into Southern Culture rested on her ability to play cards (she was a Bridge 'master') which allowed her a great deal of acceptance in the Myrtle Beach community.

But I remember the racism---I remember separate bathrooms, segregated restaurants, Jim Crow and the activism of Harry Golden and the young Billy Graham. I also remember Eisenhower and the progressive Republicans (Lodge, Rockefeller, Romney). I also know that the Party changed, a little during Nixon and Ford, more with Reagan and Bush the Greater, and a lot after that---but the Democrats have changed too as the Conservative Democrats became Republican (as a result of desegregated).

I guess I kinda have simplified view of the parties as Republicans want the Government out of the Boardroom and want it in the Bedroom and the Democrats want the opposite. IMHO it s too bad we can't have a viable political faction that wants the government out of both rooms.

As for the Bible Belt I'm at a disadvantage here my Grandmother was Jewish---a subscriber to the Harry Golden and remembers that the early Billy Graham Crusades were one of the first integrated southern events.

Ah Well--I thought Racism had finally ended in 2008, but all I have to do to realize it still exists is read the comments to any Fox news item. It made me realize that Jesus has become a means of hate.

I'm rambling.

Rap
BillRM

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 08:58 pm
@raprap,
Quote:
IMHO it s too bad we can't have a viable political faction that wants the government out of both rooms.

Too bad that every time we reduce government oversight on businesses we get Enron or the home mortgage bubble or out of control Pronzi schemes all such costing the taxpayers and citizens tens of billions up to trillions of dollars.
0 Replies