A funny kind of lynch mob...

BillRM

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 09:18 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This has nothing to do with the Duke Lacrosse players (except for the point that inconsistencies between the facts and the narrative being told by police point to a problem that must be investigated).

The very same players who beaten the racial drums in the Duke case had shown up in this one from the New Black Panther Party to Al Sharpton with the same kind of wanted posters and claims that their targets had acted out of racial hatred.

In the case of the Duke players they was suppose to had been so unhappy that they did not get a white dancer that they rape the black dancer and in the case of Zimmerman he profile all blacks as likely criminals and could not wait to used his gun.

Take note that so far with all the spot light on Zimmerman no one had been able to show that he is a racist and he had have a number of very brave black friends coming to defend him in that regard.

And I will turn your question around do you have any reason to assume that the first police investigation was in error and that charges should be lay on this man?

He was after all the one who called over and over for the police where in Trayvon case even those he had a cell phone in his hands and talking on it he did not call 911.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 04:12 am
@BillRM,
Bill,

This thread isn't about the Duke Lacrosse team. It is about Trayvon Martin who was a teenager who was shot.

The basic problem is simple. The story being told by the shooter George Zimmerman and the police wasn't logical. It was contradicted by the facts. The more the facts came up, the more they didn't add up. Of course facts need to be carefully tested with a careful investigation leading to a legal proceeding.

And that was the issue, the police and the prosecutors made up their mind before doing a full investigation and then dragged their feet leaving Trayvon's family and friends hanging.

Trayvon's parents, friends and community have the right to demand that his death be fully investigated. That is the police's job and they clearly didn't do it competently.

So now, as we have insisted, a full investigation will happen. In this full investigation all of the facts are being collected and weighed in a careful process that will be handled in a court. Zimmerman will be represented and both sides will have access to all of the evidence.And we have an independent prosecutor that is putting her reputation on the line claiming that there is enough evidence to try Zimmerman. Of course you are right there is a risk that the prosecutor is being corrupted by the public nature of this case (this is as big a risk as the fact that the original investigation was corrupted by racial bias). But that is why we have a legal process where each claim will be carefully tried in a court of law.

This is what should happen any time there is a case with two competing stories of what happened-- especially when the facts don't match up with the original police narrative.

It seems you are basically saying we should stick to the original story for the sole reason that it was the police saying it.

It also seems to me that the legal process with evidence and due process and both sides being fully represented is the best way to make sure that justice is done.

That is if you really want justice.

djjd62

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 04:58 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
No I am concern that the legal system is being effected by a PR campaign

but wouldn't the PR's be on Zimmerman's side Razz
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 07:44 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This thread isn't about the Duke Lacrosse team. It is about Trayvon Martin who was a teenager who was shot.

This case is about the possible even likely misused of the legal system by people who had axes to grind such as the Al Sharptons of the world and the anti-guns crowd and so on.

Of charges being level on a man against the judgments of the first investigation and without even a Grand Jury involvement.

One have to wonder if the pressures was so great to lay charges on his man no matter what the facts happen to be that the prosecutor did not dare to even take the small chance that a grand jury would not issue a true bill over this shotting.

I have problems with the emotions of the mob, that had been stir up by people who had a history of doing so for their own reasons in others cases such as in the Duke case, affect our legal system once more.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 06:22 am
@BillRM,
I get it Bill. You are really upset about how black people like Al Sharpton acted during the Duke Lacrosse case. And, you have used this to construct your opinion about what happened in the Trayvon Martin case. It seems like you are prepared to stick with this narrative no matter what the facts say.

Or are you? Let me ask this Bill. At what point would you be willing to admit that you are wrong?

Is there any evidence that would shake your firm belief Zimmerman is innocent? Just to be fair there are several things in this case that could change my mind. There is the voice on the tape, there is the autopsy report and there is the matter of a broken nose and bloody clothes. All of these things are objective facts.

The facts matter here. It shouldn't be about a political cause.

There is a way to keep political prejudice (on either side) from corrupting the process. It worked very well in the Duke Lacrosse case. Get representation for both sides. Question the inconsistencies in the story. Gather the facts of the case and then let the legal proceeding do its work. It seems like you are claiming that the way to stop political prejudice is to stop the legal process from working.

All I am asking for is for the legal process to work with a fair and open trial. That way your political prejudice won't be able to impact the process any more than Al Sharpton's.

djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 06:36 am
@maxdancona,
al sharpton is a shyster and a charlatan, what anyone takes him seriously i'll never know

best thing he could have done was to choke to death on all those blueberry pies he ate when he was a kid Razz
maxdancona

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 06:45 am
@djjd62,
Your opinion of Al Sharpton (or any other black person) is irrelevant. This case should be decided on facts.
djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 06:48 am
@maxdancona,
not black people, al sharpton, and who cares about it's relevancy to the case, it's my opinion of the man

the blueberry pie comment is from a commercial that he runs on his cable show, in case you were implying any racism on my part
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 06:50 am
@maxdancona,
i agree the trial should be about the facts
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 07:14 am
@maxdancona,
An investigation should be about finding facts and leveling charges or not should have nothing to do with calming the mob down but instead the results of an investigation that show a high likelihood of a crime having been committed.

I would have no problem with a public outcry for a full investigation but that is not the case here the outcry was to arrested Zimmerman at once on the assumption this was not a case of self defense but a racial crime and where the first investigators was also racists.

Lots of special interests groups and persons around this case who concerns had nothing to do with Zimmerman being guilty of a crime or not guilty of a crime.

parados

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 07:34 am
@BillRM,
You seem to be willing to jump to a conclusion Bill. What evidence do you have that the prosecutor didn't do an investigation and charge based on facts? Will you admit you were wrong if the prosecutor gets a conviction? Or will you still argue that you are right and the people on the jury were wrong?
wandeljw

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 09:34 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
At what point would you be willing to admit that you are wrong?

Is there any evidence that would shake your firm belief Zimmerman is innocent?

That is a good question and one that we should all ask of ourselves.

I believe that the trial itself will be more reliable than media frenzy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 10:18 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Or will you still argue that you are right and the people on the jury were wrong?

Is that a rhetorical question?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 12:51 pm
@parados,
I am not the one who is jumping to any conclusion other then his arrested was driven by a public out cried to the point it did not matter greatly what the evidence happen to show or not show.

No grand jury and I am of the opinion that is due to the special politically appointed prosecutor not being willing to take even the small risk of the jury voting out a no true bill in this case.

Nor am I jumping to the conclusion that the first investigators was incompetent racists when it was declare an act of self defense.

maxdancona

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 08:10 pm
@BillRM,
Yes Bill, you are the one jumping to conclusions here.

This case happened on February 26. Nothing happened at for all for two weeks (except the parents asking for an investigation) and it was really March 12 that the national coverage happened. The national coverage happened because the increasing evidence of the case, including the 911 call which became public, didn't make any sense. It became very clear the official story being given by Zimmerman and the police had big holes in it.

The police are accountable to the public. In this case it is clear that for whatever reason they weren't doing their job.

When you have facts that contradict the police story, and the police are dragging their feet, something is really wrong. This isn't jumping to conclusions.

I have no problem with people "politically" demanding an investigation, or "politically" asking for the legal system to do its job for the people it is supposed to protect.

I do have a problem when people "politically" try to stop an investigation and "politically" ignore the facts that contradict their point of view.

BillRM

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 08:47 pm
@maxdancona,
Sorry the shooting was investigated when it happen and why would something happen if law enforcement was of the opinion it was self defense!!!!!!

Sorry this was once more an example of people such as Al Sharpton playing games with the help of the new media that love the story of a poor young innocent black male being kill walking home by a racist white man.

Just as they love the story of rich white racist college boys raping a poor young black woman at a college party.

No holes in the story that I know of have come out and once more in order to be of the opinion that this is not self defense you would need to assume that the police officers that did the investigation that night was themselves so racist that they would be willing to cover up a killing.

Of course that fly well with the same kind of people that had no problem thinking that a house full of college students with no criminal backgrounds would become rapists one night.

Not one student but three students and the others all become involved in the cover up.

By the way if Zimmerman was looking for a chance to confront Trayvon and pull that gun and show some black punk a thing or two I had yet to figure out why he kept trying to get the police to show up.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 09:02 pm
@BillRM,
You are really fixated on this Duke Lacrosse thing.

Angela Corey is well respected and tough. She has seen all the evidence and clearly believes the evidence is beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman wasn't acting in self defense. Skipping the Grand Jury phase is fairly common, and is actually a pretty brave thing to do. It means she is putting her personal reputation on the line rather than having a grand jury to blame if she doesn't have the goods.

You are making a political attack on her character.

Angela Corey is accountable and if you are right that she is bowing to political pressure she will be embarrassed nationally. From all I have read about her she she isn't stupid and is pretty confident she has enough evidence.

BillRM

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 09:25 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes I smell a misused of the legal system for political reasons and the Duke case have the same players as this one such as Al Sharpton and the new black panther party with the same theme poor black person being rape or in this case kill by evil racist white men.

An is it not strange that you have no problem attacking the characters of the police officers who did the first investigation while telling me that I should had respect for a prosecutor appointed by one of the most dishonest governor the state of Florida had in office for the last thirty years or so.

A man who was CEO of a company that overcharge the Federal government a hundred millions or so and try to get wide spread drug testings in place in Florida while owning stocks in the drug testing companies.
JTT

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 09:32 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
The people who lived at that address were an elderly couple in their 70's who had to move because of the threats against them.

Serves 'em right for living there.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 05:14 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
An is it not strange that you have no problem attacking the characters of the police officers who did the first investigation while telling me that I should had respect for a prosecutor appointed by one of the most dishonest governor the state of Florida had in office for the last thirty years or so.

I am asking you to have respect for the legal process and respect for the actual facts of this case (without bringing in your issues with other cases). The process will be open and accountable. Both sides will be represented and the evidence will be presented and considered carefully.

That way the political prejudice of Al Sharpton, black panthers, CEOs of companies won't matter. And your political prejudice won't matter either (which is really the issue here).

Now that we have the process going forward, the evidence and facts will be at the center of the case as they should be.

Let the process work.