A funny kind of lynch mob...

wandeljw

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 03:28 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Sturgis,

Your "lynch mob" consists of Spike Lee (who later apologized profusely) and Mike Tyson (who is already famous for biting off someone's ear).

That doesn't say anything about the thousands of people who were peaceably marching to demand a fair trial for Trayvon's killer.

The address was made public on Twitter. The elderly couple received thousands of threats and were forced to move. You seem to be ignoring that fact.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 05:23 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
The elderly couple received thousands of threats

Could you back this statement up with a source?
djjd62

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 05:32 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Many of these people aren't marching for anything remotely resembling justice. Most don't care if there is order or arrest leading to fair trials.

yep, i see these sort things as just an excuse to **** on the system

thankfully the system gives me endless chances
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 05:42 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
wandeljw (Post 4954569)
Quote:
The elderly couple received thousands of threats

maxdancona wrote:

Among other things the couple, who are in their 70s and in no way related to George Zimmerman, received hate mail, death threats, and were forced to leave for their own safety.
Reports go that a California man tweeted to several celebs. and then Spike Lee decided to tweet it to over 250,ooo who follow him. It took over a week before he issued an apology. I guess this must be his new version of 'Do The Right Thing'.
Anyway maxdancona, it's on the Internet, a simple search of "elderly couple receives death threats' will bring you dozens upon dozens of articles.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/29/spike-lees-incorrect-tweet-causes-elderly-couple-to-flee-home/
http://gothamist.com/2012/03/29/spike_lee_apologizes_for_retweeting;php
http://the-american-journal.com/spike-lee-retweet-new-black-panther/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-57407018-10391698/spike-lee-settles-with-couple-after-retweet-blunder/
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 05:53 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Your "lynch mob" consists of Spike Lee (who later apologized profusely) and Mike Tyson (who is already famous for biting off someone's ear).

That doesn't say anything about the thousands of people who were peaceably marching to demand a fair trial for Trayvon's killer.

No. My mention of lynch mob mentality, included Tyson(I did not mention Lee in my first post).

Read a paper, listen to a radio, watch television and you see the actions and statements from plenty of people who are calling for George Zimmerman to be put to death. There are those who have marched peaceably; but, to their discredit, the majority have not condemned or even spoken against the actions and words of those who have decided vandalism (An early march included high school children vandalizing a pharmacy) and threats against the lives of George Zimmerman and others are perfectly okay. Or have you found your pal Al Sharpton denouncing the actions of Spike Lee or the words of Mike Tyson and others?

As to Spike Lee, his apology came a week later and was more from pressure to do so. If he'd truly regretted it, why didn't he apologize at the start?

(and if you want more links max, find them yourself. You still haven't provided links to back up your opening post, so why should I do more of your homework?)
maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 06:44 am
@Sturgis,
The issue here is that an unarmed teenager was shot, the killer was known, and it still took them a month to investigate seriously enough to make an arrest. If you don't understand why this is a problem then I don't know how to explain it to you.

It was the parents of the victim who started crying for justice, as would you. They had a simple request. Arrest their son's killer and give him a fair trial under our justice system.

The parents were joined by the civil rights community which included Jesse Jackson and the head of the NAACP. They had a simple request. Arrest this man who shot an unarmed teenager and give him a fair trial under our justice system.

I don't understand how people can have a problem with this. It is a responsible message and non-violent marches calling for an arrest are a perfectly reasonable response even if you don't agree with it.

Very very few people have called for violence (and if you read the comments you will find a lot more vitriolic racism directed at the victim than calls for violence toward the shooter).

And then there is this thread. There are claims of "thousands of threats made against this couple". We all agree that this was irresponsible and damaging, but why the hyperbole. Now you are claiming this widespread calls for violence and citing an unsupported incident of vandalism (I would appreciate a credible source of this claim).

The message of the civil rights movement was justice. The goal was a lawful arrest and fair trial. The opposition to the civil rights movement responds with hyperbole and rumor.

Sturgis

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:20 am
@maxdancona,
Once more max you are changing topics and rearranging to suit your own agenda.

Facts being what they are, the case was being examined and looked at from the start and it was being examined thoroughly and in a serious manner.

Back at the beginning, people were raging and going on that George Zimmerman had not even been taken into custody. Then video emerged, showing he had been, as evidenced by the handcuffs. Then the scream became 'arrest and charge'. Soon after it became, 'jail him for life'. Along with that, were the threats against his life and others, including a threat against the Sanford Police Dept. (indirectly but still a form of a threat).

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-cruiser-shot-trayvon-martin-neighborhood/story?id=16103091#.T4gh86uXRd8

Quote:
Six shots were fired into an empty police cruiser early today in the Florida neighborhood where black teenager Trayvon Martin was shot and killed as the mayor warned that the town has become a "kindling box."

No one was injured in the 4:30 a.m. shooting at the Retreat at Twin Lakes in Sanford, Fla. Police removed the vehicle and have begun an investigation.

The shooting occurred as tensions continue in this small middle class city. One official told ABC News tension could soon reaching a boiling point. ABC News has learned that the emergency operation centers of three counties have been activated at Level II, the same level of preparedness used ahead of a hurricane.

You want a link on the protest turned to vandalism? Here.

High school students who went from protest to vandalizing a Walgreens:

http://www.cbs12.com/news/features/raw-news/stories/vid_11.shtml
Quote:
Trayvon Martin protest turns to vandalism in North Miami Beach Walgreens
NORTH MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- We're getting a closer look at some South Florida students trashing a Walgreens store during a protest march for Trayvon Martin.
North Miami Beach High School students scheduled a walkout march in North Miami Beach last Friday.
During the march, you can see here in surveillance video dozens of students running into the store.
Police say about 100 students were inside the store, running through the aisles, pulling items off the shelves and knocking over displays.
An assistant principal showed up moments later and ordered them to leave.
The damage is estimated at 1-thousand dollars.
Friday, March 30 2012, 10:22 AM EDT

None of your friends like Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton have denounced this.

For the longest while, people said George Zimmerman had no injuries, now it's been shown in documented form, that he did have injuries.

Then the screaming went to nobody knowing where he was and he would never be arrested, yet, within hours of the charges being filed, there he was. He wasn't running away.

As I stated elsewhere, at the start, George Zimmerman could not turn himself in if there were no charges against him.

I believe the fact that it was decided not to empanel a grand jury showed the 'evidence' was flimsy at best against George Zimmerman. This followed by a prosecutor filing stronger charges than would normally have been filed in this sort of case tells us even more about how pressure has foiled justice. There will be no genuine justice in this. The State, and even the Feds. will make sure that George Zimmerman is convicted of every last charge they can think of.

Look up your own links max, I've spent far too much time doing this for you.
BillRM

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:36 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
We don't usually engage and shoot unarmed teenagers in self defense.

Oh and a young man can not kill a person by pounding his head into the sidewalk?!!!????

No person is ever kill or seriously harm by such a beating is that your position and the only way to be get is by the use of a weapon?

Second note who engage who is still an open question that was answer by the police on the scene as the young man not Zimmerman.
BillRM

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:39 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:

There is no a question that an elderly couple was force from their home in fear as I said them being interview on national TV.

Seems at one time a son-in-law with the same name as Zimmerman years before had live with them.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:44 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Facts being what they are, the case was being examined and looked at from the start and it was being examined thoroughly and in a serious manner.

This is the big question, and I really doubt it. There was a very long time between the killing and any movement on the investigation. We will see any discrepancies between the facts available to the police, and the police behavior come out at trial.

But the real issue is that it took then more than a month to make an arrest. I found this deeply troubling, as did many Americans.

Quote:
Back at the beginning, people were raging and going on that George Zimmerman had not even been taken into custody. Then video emerged, showing he had been, as evidenced by the handcuffs. Then the scream became 'arrest and charge'. Soon after it became, 'jail him for life'. Along with that, were the threats against his life and others, including a threat against the Sanford Police Dept. (indirectly but still a form of a threat).

The calls from me, and from people around me were always the same; Justice for Trayvon. We wanted an arrest, a thorough investigation and a day in court. I think many of us would be happy with a manslaughter conviction (assuming the facts that come out at trial support it).

Now we finally have what we wanted, a day in court.

Yet defamation of the thousands of us who simply wanted equal justice continues.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:47 am
Not all of the protest can be described as peaceable. In those instances, lynch mob is a fair description.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:50 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

Oh and a young man can not kill a person by pounding his head into the sidewalk?!!!????

Why do you believe this is true? This is an unarmed teenager we are talking about who wasn't involved in a crime and had no history of violence. He has no motivation to pick a fight with George Zimmerman. Did you go around try to kill strangers when you were a teenager?
BillRM

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 08:00 am
@maxdancona,
Sorry that was the information that was released and the police/legal system gave it credit until the pressure mount to not do so.

I am not assuming that the police on the scene was racists and or incompetent as you and others are so fast to assume.
djjd62

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 08:01 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
I am not assuming that the police on the scene was racists and or incompetent as you and others are so fast to assume.

well, they were Floridians
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:05 am
@maxdancona,
If you had bothered to read the links, you would have seen that there have been no arrests in either case I mentioned.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 10:57 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

The calls from me, and from people around me were always the same; Justice for Trayvon. We wanted an arrest, a thorough investigation and a day in court. I think many of us would be happy with a manslaughter conviction (assuming the facts that come out at trial support it).

Now we finally have what we wanted, a day in court.

Yet defamation of the thousands of us who simply wanted equal justice continues.

The item you quoted mentions threats were made against Zimmerman's life and against the police department. Would not that indicate a lynch mob mentality?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 02:55 pm
@mysteryman,
In once case, the police have stated the attack is a crime. They don't have identity of the attackers.

In the other case, we can only wait and see if charges are filed. But, the facts point to the person shot: hit the car, took several swings before he was shot and killed. The only similarity is that it's another case of the "stand your ground" law allowing people to shoot and kill and be protected.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 07:35 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Sorry that was the information that was released and the police/legal system gave it credit until the pressure mount to not do so.

So let me get this straight. You are upset that people didn't just accept the police story without question?

This wasn't a rush to judgement with no evidence. This story sat for weeks while Trayvon's parents were trying to get answers about how and why their kid died. They didn't start protesting until they were unsatisfied and the investigation was going nowhere. It was only when it became clear that the police weren't doing their job that people started protesting.

After the story broke, people noticed the facts didn't match the police behavior. That's what caused the real anger.

There were the eyewitness reports. Then claim of injuries to Zimmerman (including a broken nose) without receiving medical care. There were reports that not only wasn't Zimmerman held, but there wasn't even a in depth investigation. And there was the horrible 911 tape with what was believed to be (and now apparently was) Trayvon's voice pleading for help.

And of course there was the fact that the story being told by Zimmerman and the police simply didn't make sense. Teenage boys don't randomly try to kill strangers. And, neighborhood watch volunteers aren't supposed to be carrying guns.

All of this isn't enough to jail Zimmerman, but it sure as hell is enough to warrant investigation. And it was the lack of investigation that I found the most absurd and obscene.

It seems like the only reason you accept Zimmerman's story in spite of all of the contradictions is that you think that police shouldn't be questioned (as if police have never screwed up or misled during investigations).

It is funny that although you accept the police story completely and get upset that anyone dares question it, you now are willing to wholesale reject the independent prosecutor who is looking at the evidence in depth in a way the police never bothered to do.

Are you going to reject any new evidence now that contradicts Zimmerman's account? Or can you accept when the new evidence actually means you were wrong and Zimmerman is guilty.

BillRM

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 08:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
So let me get this straight. You are upset that people didn't just accept the police story without question?

No I am concern that the legal system is being effected by a PR campaign aiming to paint one man as an innocent victim and the other as a gun carrying racist killer and charges are being brought not on the basic of evidences but instead on the emotions of the mob that is being shape and control by people who could care less about the guilt or innocent of Zimmerman.

It just a repeat of the Duke story of the rich white boys who "gang rape" a poor black woman working her way through college by dancing at parties.

A nice story to get the emotions all in a boil no matter how must truth is behind it..

If it turn out that Zimmerman is just a man who needed to defense his life those people will disappear into the woodwork as they did in the Duke so call gang rape case but doing great unneeded harm in the mean time

maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 08:54 pm
@BillRM,
This has nothing to do with the Duke Lacrosse players (except for the point that inconsistencies between the facts and the narrative being told by police point to a problem that must be investigated).

I understand your concern, to an extent.

But you really haven't provided any rational reason for your belief that Zimmerman is telling truth other than that the police believed him at first (which may not even be true as there are reports that at least on detective wanted to keep him in custody).

So now you have given yourself an excuse to reject any evidence, no matter how convincing, that contradicts your beliefs. That's very convenient, but not very intellectually responsible.

I trust the legal process. That's all I wanted in this is to have a fair legal process.

There are lots of things that could happen that would change my mind about this case. The voice on the 911 tape could be found to be Zimmerman's. There could be forensic evidence, injuries to Zimmerman and marks on Trayvon's fist that would back up his story. If any of these happens I will be open-minded and change my mind in the story. After all the facts matter.

Right now the evidence, and the reports from responsible officials, seems to contradict Zimmerman's claims.

The attempts to stop this trial are ludicrous.