Computer help - anyone? Please?

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 06:03 pm
Sounds like Caprice and I have to same tactic. I should follow-up Phoenix style....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 07:18 pm
Oy. So, I deleted some file I shouldn't have deleted and I now have to rebuild my computer. My brother-in-law saved my c-drive to disk, added a better driver or hard drive or something, and got the old box running again. I know am in the process of reinstalling (or trying to) all my old programs and files.

One problem is that my disk drives aren't working right. The install wizard says that a device that they rely on to work is not working.

And a question: I still do not know what I deleted. How do I know files are safe to delete. I mean, I assume that I can delete any files I create, but what about windows or MS files? Are they all necessary? Seems like they take up way too much space......

Thanks for any help.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 07:57 pm
It is not safe to delete files in the "Winnt" or "Windows" folder (the name depends on what OS you are using). Only files you can delete are those with ".bak", ".tmp" or other several extentions.
If you are on W2K or XP, where "plug and play" works, you can boldly delete any hardware device, except for ones used for booting, through "Hardware wizard." After rebooting, system can install those deleted devices automatically in a refreshed manner. Sometims this can work for a bad device, if a device driver is already updated.
(Caution: In the process of installing you may be asked for a folder where driver files are located. In that case you do not need to be embarrased, and simply search those driver files through "Find" option.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 08:00 pm
Satt - thanks. One of the updates that my BIL installed was a newer version of installwizard with plug and play - or at least I think the plug and play aspect is new. Good to know what it does!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 08:48 pm
Ok, when I try to use installwizard to make them recognize one or both cd drives I get this error message:

This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (code 31) where would I find the definition of code 31?

The 2 cd-drives are the only 2 hardware devices found to have problems. I don't want to bother my BIL tonight, so unless anyone here has a clue, we'll all have to wait until tomorrow to find out why.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:10 pm
http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/wc091802/devicemgrerrcodes.htm?gssnb=1
Quote:
Windows was unable to load the driver. Try updating the driver for this device.
On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

In this case, you can try updating drivers for CD devices. Try updating option found at "driver" tab in CD devices found in "Device Manager" from "Control Panel."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:27 pm
Satt - you're a genius! It worked! Or so it seems, time to try it out.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:35 pm
shoot! didn't work.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:50 pm
I tried a couple differnet angles to satt's suggestion - still no-go.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:02 pm
How is the CD device shown in Device Manager?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:31 pm
there's a list of devices, then the 2 cd drives are indented under the heading "DVD/CD-ROM drives" with yellow exclamaition points overlaying them. I have no idea if this is the type of answer you're looking for.....
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:33 pm
I believe that means some sort of conflict.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:35 pm
mmm, but what kind...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:39 pm
Highlight it and click on properties. You may get some info.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:39 pm
littlek wrote:
there's a list of devices, then the 2 cd drives are indented under the heading "DVD/CD-ROM drives" with yellow exclamaition points overlaying them. I have no idea if this is the type of answer you're looking for.....

Let me advice you that you should delete the DVD/CD-ROM drives through "Hardware Wizard" in "Control Panel." Before that, be sure that driver file is updated. Then reboot your computer.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:50 pm
astt - tried it already - it was the suggestion by the wizard (I think) itself.

Wilso, I'll go see..... it has info. It says it can find a new driver or do a driver update - the same sort of thing I did at Satt's suggestion, I'll try it again, but it didn't work the first time.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 02:34 pm
ok, had to del 2 filters....?

Anyway. Then we lost internet. then we got it back (after a long phone call with LynkSys). Now the only internet connection I can make is with A2K. I'm glad that's my one connection, but google and hotmail would be nice too. Anyone have any ideas why this might be? A2K is my homepage, if that gives any clues.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 05:44 pm
What do you mean by "2 filters?"
Is it an Internet connection that has a problem?
Can you use some mailing softwares?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 05:48 pm
satt, sorry, I can't really help you with explaining the whole thing. My BIL sent me through some steps and I deleted 2 filters from somewhere in my computer.

The internet connection was an entirely different problem.

mailing softwares?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 05:54 pm
You can connect to the Internet, and you can only open A2K pages, but cannot open pages of other sites? .. Is that right?
With that connection can you read/send an email? I mean, if it is right, then that the problem is in the browser not the connection itself.

And you may have to check up the firewall setting.
0 Replies