Computer help - anyone? Please?

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 07:14 pm
I have Norton System Works and Sygate Security installed on my computer. I get pop up windows asking whether I want to allow different programs to access my computer, but I have no idea which ones I should allow and which ones I should deny.

Generally, I say no. I think I say no too often and disallow important programs to access my system. How do I figure out which ones to allow in?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,153 • Replies: 47
No top replies

pueo

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 07:21 pm
bookmarking

hi lil'k!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 07:22 pm
For example, this Sygate log was listed today when I denied access to someone/thing wanting to get in. Should I have allowed it?

Quote:
Application has changed since the last time you opened it, process id: 1952
Filename: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
The change was denied by user.

The Sygate icon was flashing red so I looked in to see what was wrong, found the above log and a grid with info in it that says:

Quote:
_________|___Security Type___________|Severity_|________|____|__
date/time |Executable File Change Denied| Major | Outgoing | TCP | remote host address
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 07:22 pm
Hey Pueo!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 08:37 pm
Good question littlek. I've wondered about this myself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 08:42 pm
we'll all wait together...
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 09:23 pm
Quit all the applications. Then startup an application legitimately installed one at a time, and allow requests to connect to the Internet.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 09:26 pm
oh my gawd, are you serious?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 09:33 pm
"One" at a time.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 09:33 pm
waaaaaaaaah!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 09:39 pm
Other than applications, Windows System may request a connection to the Internet, and it must be allowed once and make it default.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 11:47 pm
sigh.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:12 am
I say "no" to all of it, unless I'm at a particular web site, say Microsoft, downloading something and the request is coming from Microsoft. In other words, if it's unsolicited, I say no. I have no idea though, if this sort of request can spoof the IP address of a legitimate request. Always better to be safe than sorry. Sometimes I sacrifice convenience for safety, but I don't have a problem with that. It seems to me that too many convenience features just open you up to abuse from someone trying to gain access to your computer.

Just my 2ยข Smile
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 04:56 am
Do not say "no" too many times. Otherwise your connection to the Internet is very limited.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 05:04 am
I've had a similar thing with zone alarm. Not that I think it's much help anyway, because I keep getting a system soap security warning asking me if I want to download their software (at a price).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 05:05 am
I have Zone Alarm, so I don't know the particulars about Sygate. But I get the same type of messages. If I am doing something, and the alert refers to something I am doing, I will allow access. If I am not sure, I will say "no". Then I will go to Google, and type in the name of whatever it is that is attempting to gain access. I will read the info on it. If it is OK, the next time it appears, I will let it in.

0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 11:32 am
have no idea
Thanks, Phoenix! Your answer may be applicable to the problem I have with firewalls in general, i.e. they give me a long Internet bunch of numbers, but don't tell me what it is that's trying to access my computer (or my computer itself is trying to access).

So, if I want to know what's trying to get to my computer, could I copy the info that the firewall provides and type it into Google?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 11:35 am
I burn an incense that pleases the appropriate god, make a circle of goat urine around my desk, drink from my gourd of power, log on, and hope for the best. So far, so good, so clearly this is working. Or perhaps its the constantly muttered incantations...
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 02:05 pm
satt_focusable wrote:
Do not say "no" too many times. Otherwise your connection to the Internet is very limited.

I get to go everywhere I want to so far...so no limitations. And if a page doesn't display as fully as it might otherwise? Oh well. Them's the breaks! Very Happy
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 02:06 pm
patiodog wrote:
I burn an incense that pleases the appropriate god, make a circle of goat urine around my desk, drink from my gourd of power, log on, and hope for the best. So far, so good, so clearly this is working. Or perhaps its the constantly muttered incantations...

*LOL*
0 Replies