Do any of you have Ukrainian ancestry?

Sturgis

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 06:30 am
In a manner of speaking I am currently connected to a Ukrainian heritage. Let me explain this. In the years preceding World War1 there was a town called Lemberg. One day my grandfather was born in Lemberg. At the time it was part of the Austrian Empire. A few years later my father was born but this was after WW1 and on his birth certificate it states his father was from Poland. My father was born in a land far from Poland(Bordeaux, France...hence exists my French Connection Laughing .. Over the years, as you may be aware the town of Lemberg was renamed. The basic from my Grandfather's birth on has been Lemberg>>Lwow>>Lvov>>L'Viv (Lviv). Also during that time due to repartitioning and the such and two world wars (1 and 2), the same place went from being Austrian to Polish to its current status as part of the Ukraine. I have no definites on this but my understanding is that in most incarnations...possibly even its current one...the language of choice and majority has remained Polish. My grandfather considered himself Polish first and foremost and that is how I was raised with a proud Polish heritage (along with the Welsh and Belgian from Mother's side). These days though if I were to go back to the homeland it would mean a stamp on my Passport which would show I had been to the Ukraine, not Poland.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 06:53 am
Sturgis

Your grandfather came from the same region as my parents. All my life I've heard Poles & Ukrainians here in Oz arguing about whether it's Poland or the Ukraine. These disagreements often get quite heated. Perhaps we should liven up this thread with a screaming argument about it? Laughing
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 07:06 am
msolga wrote:
Sturgis

Your grandfather came from the same region as my parents. All my life I've heard Poles & Ukrainians here in Oz arguing about whether it's Poland or the Ukraine. These disagreements often get quite heated. Perhaps we should liven up this thread with a screaming argument about it? Laughing

http://www.flagfocus.info/worldflags-large/flag-PolandState-detail-lg.gif

Poland I tell you! It's Poland gosh darn it, confound it, etc,

Poland now and forever, long live Lech Walesa! Solidarity for all!
Polska!

I suppose it all comes down to when a person was born and their long term heritage and how they were brought up as to what a person considers themselves to be. For me it's got to stay Polish, I never really think of it any other way. How about you Msolga?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 07:14 am
What's the matter with you, Sturgis !!!!!!

That is the UKRAINIAN MOTHERLAND you have the nerve to call Poland!!! Evil or Very Mad

YAY, Ukraine!!!!!

The blue & the yellow forever!

(Would I DARE see it any other way in the family I grew up in Sturgis? No way! Too dangerous by far! I'm not silly! Razz )
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 07:16 am
Dzień dobry!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 07:17 am
Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 07:17 am
The sky and the wheat, not the scrawny KFC chicken.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 07:19 am
farmerman wrote:
The sky and the wheat, not the scrawny KFC chicken.

Of course! You're right, you know! Laughing
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 07:24 am
That's not a scrawny chicken! and to think we gave the world a Pope! You'll notice Pope John Paul2 had no trouble stating he was POLISH! I think you need to realize it's Poland that matters! Who wants to listen to a frozen Ukrainian? Poland ought to stretch from sea to sea as in from the Atlantic to the Pacific Oceans.
Doesn't Poland just sing to your senses?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 07:31 am
No, no, NEVER!!!!

PHTTTTTTTTTTTT to Poland! Evil or Very Mad

http://home.judson.edu/academic/spinner/ukraine/prapor.gif

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

shortncute11185

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 09:24 am
yayyyyyy for the blue and yellow Very Happy

and the red white and blue meaning the U.S. Russia and France
0 Replies

shortncute11185

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 10:42 pm
Dobryy vyechir, msolga...I'd like to know more about Ukrainian geography. Top 10 most populated cities in Ukraine: I know Kyiv is the most populated city in Ukraine but what are the last nine? Also what is the largest minority and predominant religion there?

Spasibo!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:34 am
You're on the RIGHT SIDE, shortncute! Wonderful taste! :wink:

That was fun, Sturgis, even if the pro-Ukrainian arguments turned out to be superior to your pro-Polish propaganda! Laughing :wink: You're a good sport! Very Happy

Do you wanna know something, s'n'c? A sad but true confession? I'm no expert on Ukrainian anything, apart from migration to Oz! Sad True, I'm afraid. So for answers to your questions I'd do the same as you: Google! UNLESS, one of those really knowledgable folk from another A2K Ukrainian thread appear! Now THEY know their stuff!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 05:44 am
Actually msolga, I am sadly no expert on my POLISH heritage either. It was never discussed much at home and for some reason was even held to the side.

Oh and one other thing, if you admit to being POLISH you get to claim a connection to Copernicus. What does a Ukrainian heritage have to offer on that front?

That said let us all join in singing Dabrowski's Mazurek! (hope you know the words, because I sure don't Sad )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 05:56 am
The words? You think I might know the words? Laughing

I'm sure there are MANY perks available to Ukrainians, all over the place, Sturgis! Why, folk are just falling over themselves to get us to join their clubs & organizations, to attend their functions. We're so desirable & lift the tone, you see! But, er, right now I can't think of any.... I'll get back to you on that one, OK? :wink:
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 06:01 am
Well I must admit that when given the choice when visiting friends in New York I am prone to select the Ukrainian restaurant over the Polish one so I suppose in some demented and utterly twisted way you have gained a point in your favor even from a man who is proud to say his Grandpappy came from Poland.

Oh, the inhumanity of it all.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 06:06 am
A true gentleman you are, Sturgis! Valiant in defeat! :wink:

And yes, Ukrainian food is wonderful! Though for some strange reason, my fellow A2K Ukrainian, farmerman, thinks it's quite horrible! Confused Hates the stuff, apparently.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 06:12 am
msolga wrote:
And yes, Ukrainian food is wonderful! ... farmerman, thinks it's quite horrible...

<I must admit that I like more the "Central European Versions" of Borschtsch, Mlinzi, Pirogi, Wareniki, Golubzi to the original Ukrainian kind, too :wink: >
0 Replies

shortncute11185

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 06:17 am
I've finally discovered the top NINE populated cities in Ukraine and here they are in case anyone hadn't known before and is curious to find out:

Kyiv--2.61m
Kharkiv--1.47m
Dnipropetrovsk--1.07m
Odesa--1.03m
Donetsk--1.02m
Zaporizhia--815,000
Lviv--733,000
Kryvyi Rih--669,000
Mykolaiv--514,000

source: http://www.ucrainica.info/intro/distribution.htm

demographics:
Ukrainian 77.8%