90 day probationary period (work)

Angel23

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 07:24 am
The handbook said something about 90 day probationary period. I'm now 60 days on the job. So a few days ago, I asked my boss what happens after 90 days. Basically, what she said is that 90 days is just a number (she didn't say it word for word, btw.) People could be canned b4 their 90 days is up if they fvck up bad enough. And just bc ppl passed their 90 days doesn't mean they couldn't be canned later. As long as I'm performing well, I shouldn't worry. She also said although I'm kinda kicking @ss, I still have room for improvement, like everyone else. I used to have performance issues but no longer. Now I'm like confused. WTF is 90 days anyhow? WHy am I so worried when I shouldn't be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,656 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 08:34 am
Most jobs have a probationary period. The idea is that if you turn out to be useless, they can fire you without employment law problems. During your probationary period your manager should be watching your performance and how you fit into the team. He or she should be offering help and guidance during this initial period to help you get through the probation. If you are failing badly the manager should offer help to bring your performance up to standard. This is normal. Since nobody is perfect, everybody will have somewhere they can improve. It does not sound like you are failing. If you were your manager would be saying things like "if you carry on like this you will fail your probation". You are probably worried because you like your job and want to keep it. If you had serious performance or attitude or fitting in issues your manager would be spelling it out clearly so you could not later say "nobody told me!". It does not sound like you are in that situation. A good manager will give you feedback about how you are doing and whether you are likely to pass your probation. Maybe you should ask them for a short meeting to set your mind at rest. Usually at the end of the probationary period you would be called into a meeting with a manager or HR person who would say "I am pleased to tell you that you have passed your probationary period", or maybe you would get a letter. Different organisations have different practices. If you pass the probation it does not mean you can then slack off!

Angel23

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 08:37 am
@contrex,
She didn't seem to say it like that, no. She said I'm kicking ass (but she didn't curse.) I hope I could make further improvements though.
0 Replies