Gay Marriage

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 01:14 pm
hehehehe

i'm going to have to notify a lot of sites about their error
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:18 pm
It's sometimes scary to see how religion can influence political decisions in the US...with the "God bless America" thing as one of many examples...like also the thing about gay marriage...ever heard of secularism people :wink: ? Think Dutch: the CDA (Christian Democrats) , the leading party here at the moment, ignore most of the decisions of the Church Cool , better: they are in power, but do nothing against mercy killing, gay marriage...not that I want these things to change... call it: Dutch Christianity :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:19 pm
The constitutionality of banning gay marriage is being severely tested now in California. We should see this bounced up to the USSC very soon, before Dubya has a chance to stack the court. If Scalia/Cheney, the most ideologically right judge on the court can justify the 2000 election decision based on equal rights under the law with banning gay marriage, we can expect perhaps a hollow bronze statue of him near the facade of the Lincoln Memorial?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:20 pm
Perhaps that should be a three headed statue with Ashcroft being the third head.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:23 pm
Einstein should stop telling God what to do.

-- Enrico Fermi
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:28 pm
Acutally, until Walter started the grab-ass here, i had come to report on something i heard on the local news. Several gay couples arrived at the Franklin County Probate Court (Columbus, Ohio) this afternoon, and demanded marriage licences. When they were denied, they began a noisy demonstration. I have, unfortunately, no further details. If any become available, i will let y'all know.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:32 pm
ooooooooooooooh
a revolution in Ohio!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:41 pm
You say you want a revolution
Well-ell you know
We'd all love to see the plan . . .
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:49 pm
I am an antichrist
I am an anarchist
Don't know what I want but
I know how to get it
I wanna destroy the passer by cos i

I wanna be anarchy !
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:50 pm
Walter... Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 05:33 pm
Walter - Yes, it seems I stumbled upon a source that had it wrong, and so got it wrong myself. Fair enough. Now, was there a reason for your incivility in pointing this out, or do you not need a reason to be rude?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:31 pm
Scrat wrote:
blatham wrote:
The negative here is that the 'christian right' is organized nationwide...

Is it likewise a negative that gay rights groups are likewise organized and fighting for their position? Or is it only a negative when people support positions with which you disagree? :wink:

Scrat

Fair enough, but...

First, the level of organization (people, funding) is not comparable, it's not even close. Gay groups are not engaged in taking over school boards, hospital boards, local political machinery, or establishing media networks, etc.

Second, and this gives the first point its relevancy, those gay organizations are not seeking to limit or constrain the rights of others. They are not, we'll note, pressing for legislation outlawing heterosexual marriage. The entire purpose of their existence is identical to that of womens' sufferage groups, or civil rights for blacks organizations - to extend the principles of equality and individual rights to groups/individuals who have, for reasons of arbitrary cultural bias and prejudice, previously been denied such.

The entire purpose of those groups seeking such legislation (where it doesn't exist) or seeking to strengthen such legislation (where it is already in place) is to deny equal rights to people they don't like, people who they do not believe deserve equality (as women didn't deserve the vote, and as blacks didn't deserve equal membership in society).

On one hand, then, a large and effective organization of bigots. On the other, an organization of people seeking to cast off the constraints those bigots would create or enforce, constraints which are deeply inimical to the principles of liberty which your constitution seeks to uphold and forward.

These are not mirror-image differing opinions sitting in balance.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:57 pm
The latest FRC Washington Report on the subject.

Quote:
February 13, 2004
No Boston Tea Party

There was no tea party in Boston yesterday since the Massachusetts Legislature adjourned at midnight without passing an amendment that defines marriage as the union of one man and one woman. Lawmakers could not agree on language for an amendment, and are now scheduled to reconvene March 11.

But on a positive note, other states have had their eyes glued to Massachusetts this week, pondering the harmful effects of homosexual "marriage," and have fortunately taken steps to amend their own constitutions. Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma, Georgia and Kentucky have introduced some version of a Marriage Affirmation and Protection Amendment in their respective states, while Illinois and Alabama are considering amendments. This is a tremendous encouragement for FRC and other members of the Coalition for Marriage in our on-going fight to save marriage from the outstretched arms of tyrannical, unelected judges who continue to legislate from the bench.

The Massachusetts Legislature may be taking a break, but FRC Action (the legislative lobbying arm of FRC) will be gearing up for the next round, lobbying key Massachusetts legislators and securing the votes we need to pass an amendment that defends marriage. And, at the national level, it is time to get the Federal Marriage Amendment moving in Congress. The threat to marriage is clear and the time for our elected officials in Washington to act is now.

Additional Resources
Protect Marriage (www.protectmarriage.org)
http://www.frc].org/index.cfm?i=PG03J01&f=WU04B11
New Zogby Poll Reveals More than Two-thirds of Massachusetts Voters Want to Vote on Traditional Marriage
http://www.frc.org/index.cfm?i=PR04A03&f=WU04B11
Marriage Laws: State by State
http://www.frc.org/index.cfm?i=IF03I01&f=WU04B11
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:04 pm
They protest too much.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:02 pm
My thoughts are that gay marriages should be allowed, for the simple reason that I work with a few gay people who can't stop blabbing on and on about it. If they just legalized it, maybe I'd get some peace and quiet. There, my hat is now officially in the ring.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 10:11 pm
blatham wrote:
Scrat wrote:
blatham wrote:
The negative here is that the 'christian right' is organized nationwide...

Is it likewise a negative that gay rights groups are likewise organized and fighting for their position? Or is it only a negative when people support positions with which you disagree? :wink:

Scrat

Fair enough, but...

First, the level of organization (people, funding) is not comparable, it's not even close. Gay groups are not engaged in taking over school boards, hospital boards, local political machinery, or establishing media networks, etc.

Second, and this gives the first point its relevancy, those gay organizations are not seeking to limit or constrain the rights of others. They are not, we'll note, pressing for legislation outlawing heterosexual marriage. The entire purpose of their existence is identical to that of womens' sufferage groups, or civil rights for blacks organizations - to extend the principles of equality and individual rights to groups/individuals who have, for reasons of arbitrary cultural bias and prejudice, previously been denied such.

The entire purpose of those groups seeking such legislation (where it doesn't exist) or seeking to strengthen such legislation (where it is already in place) is to deny equal rights to people they don't like, people who they do not believe deserve equality (as women didn't deserve the vote, and as blacks didn't deserve equal membership in society).

On one hand, then, a large and effective organization of bigots. On the other, an organization of people seeking to cast off the constraints those bigots would create or enforce, constraints which are deeply inimical to the principles of liberty which your constitution seeks to uphold and forward.

These are not mirror-image differing opinions sitting in balance.

No offense, but I love the loaded language you use. Again, when it is a group with whom you disagree, running for office, being heard, voting as they see fit... these are nefarious acts to be feared.

And you throw the word bigot around rather freely. I had a pedophile call me a bigot once on-line because I disagreed with his assertion that having sex with children was "just another lifestyle choice". I don't know... maybe you're right, but I suspect that there are people who don't support the notion of same-gender unions who are not bigots.

The reason these opinions are not "sitting in balance" is because the position with which you disagree is in the majority. My opinion happens to be in the minority on this, but I don't need to demonize those with whom I disagree or pretend that it is wrong when they act politically to see their position win out.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 10:29 pm
LOL, kickycan. Your reason is as good as anyone's.

Quote:
The threat to marriage is clear and the time for our elected officials in Washington to act is now.

That part of the quote from the FRC is at the heart of this debate. The "threat" to marriage is non-existent. Heteros lose nothing if gays gain the right to marriage. And gays gain the right to form lasting and stable relationships with all legal rights that pertain to marriage, which situation ought to appeal to conservatives and traditionalists.

In earlier times, when most gays were unable to come out, if a gay person wanted children and a family, he or she had to marry someone of the opposite sex and go through the motions. (literally...) In these more accepting times, gay people do not marry someone from the opposite sex and, instead, partner up with a same-sex mate and have children in ways that work, such as surrogacy, adoption, or ivf. These children have two parents to love and raise them, unlike the children of many single or divorced fathers and mothers.

If we deny that such families can thrive and raise good children, then we deny the evidence of children raised by grandparents (if a couple dies in an accident,) by a widow and her sister who might raise children after a sudden death, and countless other instances of untraditional families from which happy and healthy children come. The key here is stability. The children who suffer in this country are ones who are the cast-offs from selfish parents who divorce serially with no thought to what they have produced. The threat to "marriage" in this country is not from gays, it is from uncommitted, self-serving, immature people who are unable to delay gratification long enough to form a child-raising union.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:16 am
Marriage is a binder for society. I don't know myself if its lasting forever is a worthwhile component or work of the irish devils. (Found performing at.....)

Why is there such vileness against binding love?

Okay, okay, I know, it's because it isn't a man of the faith and a woman of the faith.

Time now, folks, to accommodate to changes yet reaffirm the idea, the binding by those willing to attach.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 05:38 am
Quote:
No offense, but I love the loaded language you use. Again, when it is a group with whom you disagree, running for office, being heard, voting as they see fit... these are nefarious acts to be feared.

scrat

Denying women the vote, or keeping blacks to the back of the bus, were nefarious policies merely in the minds of those who disagreed with those policies?

Quote:
And you throw the word bigot around rather freely.
A quick and honest estimation (it will be close) is that I've used the term 'bigot' perhaps five times total in any and all discussions here on a2k. That's two years, and (my god!) over five thousand posts.

Shall we assume that the term has an appropriate referent in the world? Websters Abridged (98) defines the term as:
A person who regards his own faith and views in matters of religion as unquestionably right, and any belief or opinion opposed to or differing from them as unreasonable or wicked. In an extended sense, a person who is intolerant of opinions which conflict with his own, as in politics or morals; one obstinately and blindly devoted to his own church, party, belief, or opinion.
Are you to argue that ANY two 'opposing' opinions are, in all case, both instances of 'bigotry'? If not, if you concur that there are real instances of bigotry to be found, what criteria do you use to measure its presence?

Once again, I'll repeat the two points made earlier, which correspond with the definition above:
- first, the push to suppress gay behaviors and status originates preponderantly from faith groups which hold they are in possession of the one true faith (all others are wrong)
- second, there is NO push from those in the gay movement, or from folks who support the fundamental goals of that movement, such as myself, to suppress ANY behavior of ANYONE around us within the community - no calls for outlawing heterosexal acts or domestic arrangements. You could, most uncarefully, say that we attempt to suppress too, and are thus equally bigoted, in seeking to suppress the rights of some faith group to establish law. But to argue that is to argue that your founders were bigoted in setting up any and all constitutional guarantees towards free expression, free association, and liberty of personhood.

Quote:
The reason these opinions are not "sitting in balance" is because the position with which you disagree is in the majority. My opinion happens to be in the minority on this, but I don't need to demonize those with whom I disagree or pretend that it is wrong when they act politically to see their position win out.

Do you still maintain the first sentence here, scrat? All opinions are equal instances of bigotry (the term thus losing any meaning at all)? Or will you argue that 'bigotry' has meaning, but does not apply to what faith groups are doing here? If so, please carefully draw out your reasoning.

As to 'demonizing' those with whom I disagree, your use of that term is not appropriate as there is nothing I've said which corresponds with the definition of the term (you can check). Unless, of course, you want to do the 'all opinions are equal' thing, thus all arguments against, or negative terms used in an arguments, are all equal examples of 'demonization'.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 08:08 am
Scrat,

I think we've been over this on other threads. The problem with the Christian Right being so organized is that I DO disagree with them on most things. But it's an understatement and quite misleading to limit my feelings about them to a word like "disagree." The problem for me is that I fear their motivations and intentions. I don't want to be under their hammer. I don't want them making amendments denying gays and lesbians their rights as human beings. I don't want them interfering with progress simply because it makes them feel uncomfortable. The idea of them being in control of our government freaks me out.

I agree with you that not everyone agrees with me. Members of the Christian right think they're ideas are positive and worthwhile. It is a simple matter of a difference in our ideas about what is good in human relations. My alert about the Christian right and their very successful organization to take over our government is aimed at those who agree with me, those who will be hurt by it, those who fear their policies as much as I do.

I think there are plenty who are alarmed already and many more who would be if they knew the extent of the organization and what their real goals are. It's my mission to expose their treachery. Why treacherous? Because in my opinion they shouldn't be trying to control us in this way. And I'll do everything I can to try to stop them. Those who agree with their goals are, I'm sure, as happy as pigs in a puddle with the organization's success.
0 Replies