Singing Tips?

pink thespian13

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:56 am
I definitely suggest practicing classical music A LOT. I take voice lessons and all I sing there is classical. It has helped so much in perfecting my natural voice and helping reach notes I never thought I could. Practice classical music and practice it OFTEN.
0 Replies

toune1601

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 03:15 pm
Things I've heard
Hey! I'm not a expert or anything but I've heard a couple of tips for singing. For example, never eat chocolate before a performance. It may sound stupid but it will give you chucks of mucus or something like that in your troat and you won't be able to sing as well. Also, drink lots of warm water. I'm not sure why, but that's what the music teacher always tells the singers here. Also, get into your song, that way you will touch the audience more. If your song is sad, look sad, and vice versa. Be confident in yourself. It's just normal be nervous but remember why you're there. If you're going to perform it's surely because you have a talent. I'm not sure where I heard this, but I remember hearing that running a lot is good for your voice. It gives you more endurance or something, not sure. It's worth a try though. Another than that, practice, practice and practice...I think I have never seen a day that I have not sang, and that helps a lot. Practice high notes, even if you don't get them the first time, you'll get it eventually if you believe in yourself.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 04:01 pm
Toune,
.....That chocolate thing is a new too me, but it makes sense. I would imagine that milk would be worse. Warm water or tea are like oppsite of milk products, they loosen phlegm.
.....About that running: I'm self taught as a singer myself. I started out in Show Business as a dancer. We did flash, and limbo dancing, two very strenuos, and accrobatic forms. When I was deep into my training as a singer, I would test my wind by breaking into song as soon as I came of stage, and entered the dressing room. I was surprised to know, (at first) that I was hitting high notes, better than any time of the day! So that running thing confirms my discovery.
....As for practise, I do a regimen of scales, then start off in R&B tunes, then blues, and finish with difficult American Classic tunes (Jazz), in this order. "The Masquerade Is Over', "Sophisticated Lady", and finally, the sixty-four bar vocal roller-coaster, "Stardust".My list of songs should be used as a guide and/or starter. since singing songs you like is important. you can replace, immediatly, or eventually with sogs if equal difficulty. I also like to use "A Very Good Year", and "Shadow Of Your Smile". I believe different genres or important, because of the different aspects you learn from them...rhythmn, timing. improvisation, melodic integrety, etc.,
0 Replies

DevlishGal

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 04:21 pm
Re: Singing Tips?
It helps to not eat any dairy for the day, then try. In this case practice helps... Just get your favorite CD and listen to it first, then sing to it the best you can. Do this about 2ce a day until you get sick of it. Then when you think you are ready, start singing quietly when someone is near you. if they twitch, get a new CD and do this again.
0 Replies

u2

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:36 am
revengeofthecow wrote:
Don't try to sound like something you're not. Example: if you're singing a song by, say, Maroon 5, do not try to imitate his singing style. You will never improve as a singer that way. Of course, the best advice (which I have surprisingly not found on this forum) is to have fun. Sing stuff you like. You'll never sound good if you don't like what you're singing. I stunk when I sang that song "So this is Cristmas... War is over..." song, whatever it's called. Sappy sap sap sap. All over. And give it your all. Really let go.

ya i agree you should sing in your own voice while still maintaning the same tone to the song.
0 Replies

u2

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:40 am
Re: Things I've heard
toune1601 wrote:
Hey! I'm not a expert or anything but I've heard a couple of tips for singing. For example, never eat chocolate before a performance. It may sound stupid but it will give you chucks of mucus or something like that in your troat and you won't be able to sing as well. Also, drink lots of warm water. I'm not sure why, but that's what the music teacher always tells the singers here. Also, get into your song, that way you will touch the audience more. If your song is sad, look sad, and vice versa. Be confident in yourself. It's just normal be nervous but remember why you're there. If you're going to perform it's surely because you have a talent. I'm not sure where I heard this, but I remember hearing that running a lot is good for your voice. It gives you more endurance or something, not sure. It's worth a try though. Another than that, practice, practice and practice...I think I have never seen a day that I have not sang, and that helps a lot. Practice high notes, even if you don't get them the first time, you'll get it eventually if you believe in yourself.

thanks man that actually helped alot. but can i ask you something? i have sang in choirs but i cant bulid up the self confidence to sing solo the best i do is to ing infront of a mirror is this normal? and do you have any tips on how to build up self confidence
0 Replies