Misti26

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 11:06 pm
It helps if you have a voice:)
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 11:06 pm
Misti26 wrote:
It helps if you have a voice:)

Oh I have it....but I'm not a trained voice....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 11:18 pm
What sort of tips? What are you, tenor, soprano?

I have a few soprano tips - but they ain't gonna work for basses...
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 11:33 pm
dlowan wrote:
What sort of tips? What are you, tenor, soprano?

I have a few soprano tips - but they ain't gonna work for basses...

I do it all...give what you got...
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 07:18 am
Sing... that's all.

You want some free, and almost painless training? Join a choir.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 07:24 am
Practice abdominal breathing. In order for your voice to sound rich, and to project, you need to sing from your belly, not your throat.

Haven't checked this out in depth, but I think that this site may have some possibilities for you!

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/vocalist_site_map.html
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 08:30 am
Sweet, thanks.
0 Replies

sparky

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 04:47 pm
Stage/practice time is good. Don't overdo it (hurt your voice), but the more you sing, the better you'll perform. If you are like me - not a 'natural' singer - it can also help your confidence to sing a lot.
0 Replies

nerd

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:30 pm
what type of music do you plan on singing. there is a big difference in screamo hardcore bands and the church choir
all singing tho takes good suported breathing. think of your ovaries (if you have any) as lungs and breathe deep filling them up with air. or thats how i think of it
also don't use your throat- ever- its a really ugly sound you'll make. and don't go Nasal- EW- thats my total pet peeve..... Mad
0 Replies

revengeofthecow

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:05 pm
Don't try to sound like something you're not. Example: if you're singing a song by, say, Maroon 5, do not try to imitate his singing style. You will never improve as a singer that way. Of course, the best advice (which I have surprisingly not found on this forum) is to have fun. Sing stuff you like. You'll never sound good if you don't like what you're singing. I stunk when I sang that song "So this is Cristmas... War is over..." song, whatever it's called. Sappy sap sap sap. All over. And give it your all. Really let go.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 01:27 pm
Be confident, and know what you're singing!!
Concentrate on what you are doing, and if you perform in front of an audience remember they are not there to see you fail!!!
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 02:18 am
What an interesting thread.

I go to clubs and groups entertaining as a "performance poet". Many of my poems I've put to tunes and so I have to sing them (fortunately they're comedy songs).

Although I'm a woman, to give you an idea of my voice, does anyone remember Alan Sherman of Hello Mudda Hello Father fame?

I've produced a CD of my work and I was told that my speaking voice is ALMOST good enough to make up for my singing voice!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:53 am
Tarah, I do remember Allan Sherman - my parents had his album "My Son, the Nut" and we played it often. It included Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh as well as "Eight Foot Two, Solid Blue (Has Anybody Seen My Gal?)" and "You're Getting to Be a Rabbit with Me". Very funny stuff.

How long have you been a performance poet?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:03 am
Tarah, my dad bought us that album when we were kids...I can't tell you how many time I listened to it Laughing
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 11:36 am
Hi Mac and hello again, colorbook.

I've been performing my poetry for about 3 years. I started with only writing poems but then started changed the words to songs. I was so nervous the first time I sang in front of a group but now I've even sung on the radio and it doesn't bother me at all.

I'm sure my breathing is wrong and I'm prone to going off-key but so long as the audience has fun that's all that matters.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 11:51 am
proper breathing is the most important thing you can have. It is what makes a voice sound the way it sounds. Don't force vibrato. I hate hate hate that. If you don't have it naturally, you shouldn't make it.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 01:55 pm
I always carry some altoids in my pocket for when my throat feels a little scratchy. When singing a song with different tempos i.e. Girl, you'll be a woman soon, sing a little highter than you normally would. My normal baritone can't hack it for a fast tempo.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 11:45 am
Take air in through your nose, but close the nose off for round tones,when exhaling. Go into a closet, or bathroom. and sing the scales over and over. eschew the vocal acrobatics, concentrate on tone and timing.
0 Replies

jessie venegas

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:08 pm
Hey
use you hart not only you lungs. even if it does not sound good people would glad you put your hart into it
0 Replies