there is a fundamental reality

JLNobody

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 09:05 pm
@Cyracuz,
Yes, because an illusion (any illusion) is a REAL illusion, a part of Reality which simply IS no matter what it is. I learned this from Frank himself.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 09:07 pm
@Cyracuz,
Yes, because an illusion (any illusion) is a REAL illusion, a part of Reality which simply IS no matter what it is. I learned this from Frank himself.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 09:07 pm
@Cyracuz,
fresco

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 02:07 am
@JLNobody,
Always the diplomat!

Frank's earlier dogmatism about the "reality" of the heliocentric model is evidence that he has no concept of what you (and I) imply when we use the word "reality"in its experiential sense. This is underscored by his occasional "parting company" with you on the basis of "your blind guesses".

In my reading of Derrida there is a piece about the significance of "a signature" which he argues comes from an institutionalised social convention. Here the text is illustrated by a photo of the British PM, Chamberlain returning from his 1938 meeting with Hitler triumphantly waving a piece of paper with Hitler's signature on it and his own. I suggest the piece of paper resulting from the "REALITY IS... conference "has approximately the same status.

JLNobody

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 03:09 pm
@fresco,
Well, I just wanted to post a tryptich.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 04:06 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

The only thing you are hammering at is that we (as animals who plan ahead) all operate as though there was a fixed reality independent of our physiology and interests.

yes

Quote:
You appear to have no understanding that the "details" of such a reality are under constant revision and what may be universally accepted as functional " at one level is open to speculation at another level. For example, Newton's laws work at for macro-objects (as defind by us) at "normal speeds" but give way to relativistic laws at the micro-level and higher speeds. There is no theoretical limit to the potential need for this giving way.....i.e. there is no axiomatic bedrock on which we can ultimately rely. Such a position would involve a TOE (theory of everything) and general opinion was that even Einstein wasted his later years on that one !

Here endeth the lesson writ bold !

oh I'm aware of the speculation of reality on another level

but the point you seem to keep missing , is that the everyday fundamental reality that we have to deal with everyday is based on the periodic table and space

you talk of " theoretical " but it is just that , theoretical

[/quote]
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 04:32 pm

Quote:
there is no axiomatic bedrock on which we can ultimately rely.

there is and thats what I have being trying to point out

no matter what theory is out there , the periodic table stands , none of the theories suggest that the periodic table changes in their properties

JLNobody

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 06:53 pm
@north,
Was the periodic table found in a burning bush?
north

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 11:52 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Was the periodic table found in a burning bush?

very funny JL

whats your point ? or is there one ?
JLNobody

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:51 pm
@north,
Is it a codification of observations by humans making human-bound observations resting on human-bound theoretical assumptions or is it an absolute code presented by God (or any other source of absolute truths) to humans as were the tablets to Moses in the burning bush?
north

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 01:10 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Is it a codification of observations by humans making human-bound observations resting on human-bound theoretical assumptions or is it an absolute code presented by God (or any other source of absolute truths) to humans as were the tablets to Moses in the burning bush?

" codification " ?

Human observations and experiments and experience
JLNobody

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 02:55 pm
@north,
If the periodic table is the historical result of human observation/experience/codification it is best described as a relativistic creation serving provisionally the function of an ("absolutistic") "axiomatic bedrock on which we can ultimately rely".
Is the bush still burning?
north

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 04:13 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
If the periodic table is the historical result of human observation/experience/codification it is best described as a relativistic creation serving provisionally the function of an ("absolutistic") "axiomatic bedrock on which we can ultimately rely". Is the bush still burning?

first , whats with this " codification " ? what the heck does this mean ?
fresco

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 05:03 pm
@JLNobody,
Smile
Your patience here reminds me somewhat of the policeman in this episode of Father Ted.
Quote:
Father Dougal: Ahh, lets see, I'll have the Hindu Curry, Steak and Chips, and a glass of Coke thanks.
Policeman: Do you know where you are? You're in a police station.
Father Dougal: Oh right. Well, in that case, I'll just have the Satay Chicken
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 05:10 pm
@fresco,
...fair is fair and to each its own, that last post of yours is actually fun and well put in context I could n´t help but laugh...North is a marvellous creature, unique ! Laughing
north

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 05:35 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
...fair is fair and to each its own, that last post of yours is actually fun and well put in context I could n´t help but laugh...North is a marvellous creature, unique ! Laughing

Thanks Fil

north
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 05:42 pm
@north,
Surely you have a dictionary.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 05:42 pm
@north,
Surely you have a dictionary.