Can anyone fathom this out!

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 03:28 am
Which famous film, through other films, TV or radio, links a fictional schoolmaster; a fictional Princess, a real life Queen, a "Dads Army" character, a "Sherlock Holmes" and a fictional hangman?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,397 • Replies: 24
No top replies

sophocles

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 05:37 am
@sophocles,
Impossible or what!
sophocles

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 07:12 am
@sophocles,
Anyone know of any fictional hangmen as that might be the way of finding the link?
0 Replies

puzzlesRus

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 07:15 am
@sophocles,
Again you are asking a question from GFQ when the setter has reqested that they are not asked on these sort of sites. Please do him the courtesy of abiding by it.
sophocles

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 08:46 am
@sophocles,
Answer is Gone with the Wind apparently. (found it at last!)
dumbo2

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 11:04 am
@sophocles,
Don't think so.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2012 03:07 pm
@puzzlesRus,
last year, aldobear wrote:
sopocles has been ruining this quiz for more than 2 years. As I said above, he's not the only one, but all those who have ignored the quiz rules have finally succeeded in bringing this quiz to a close.
http://able2know.org/topic/171199-1#post-4607792

your precious quiz is still going strong i see...
sophocles

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 09:18 am
@Region Philbis,
Does anyone know the answer yet. If they do could someone offer a clue to solving it. The question is a bit ambiguous, the bit thats confusing me is "through other films, TV or radio"
newbyquizzer

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 12:13 pm
@sophocles,
You said earlier you've solved it!
sophocles

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 12:35 pm
@newbyquizzer,
Sorry, I thought I had but the "Dads Army" character didn't fit. Been asking friends and family and googling for three weeks now and still no nearer to solving it!
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 12:53 pm
@sophocles,
Dad's Army refers generally to the British Home Guard during WW2, it was set up at the beginning of the war and consisted of men too young or too old to right in the regualar army, along with those in reserved occupations.

Specifically it refers to a BBC comedy by Jimmy Croft and David Croft, the main characters were Cpt. Mainwaring, Sgt. Wilson, Cpl. Jones, Ptes Pike, Godfrey, Walker and Fraser. There was also Hodges the ARP warden, a vicar and verger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dad's_Army
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 01:14 pm
@izzythepush,
I think it's The Hobbit. I've not yet found the fictinal hangman, but I've found the rest. The fictional princes is one of the characters, the real life queen is Barry Humphries who plays Dame Enda Everage, Benedict Cumberpatch is Sherlock Holmes, John Le Mesurier (sgt Wilson) starred in the BBCs production of The Hobbit. Cate Blanchet played a teacher in Notes On A Scandal.
newbyquizzer

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 01:30 pm
@izzythepush,
Don't think a film which isn't released yet can be famous can it?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 02:00 pm
@newbyquizzer,
What about the hype? It will be a sell out from the word go.
newbyquizzer

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 02:21 pm
@izzythepush,
That's as maybe, but it's not the answer.
sophocles

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 01:56 am
@newbyquizzer,
I take it you have the answer then! Care to give a hint! The fictional schoolmasters I have tried to find a link from are: Wackford Squeers, Mr Chips, Quelch in Billy Bunter school Greyfriars, MWB Pemberton Oakes (Jennings novels)
newbyquizzer

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 03:22 pm
@sophocles,
In the words of Kylie Minogue...
sophocles

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 05:22 am
@newbyquizzer,
Over 300 views of this question now and still no one has come up with an answer. Very intriguing.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 05:46 am
@sophocles,
Maybe people aren't that bothered. I've just dipped my toe in the water, I spent an hour coming up with The Hobbit, and I don't want to spend a lot more time on something that doesn't really intrigue me.

In the UK there was a long running school drama called Grange Hill, you might want to check that out for teachers, there was also a popular comedy called Please Sir, that might give you a few pointers as well.
0 Replies

newbyquizzer

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 09:22 am
@newbyquizzer,
Finally found the answer!!!! Smile