Who was the most dispicable character on the Sopranos?

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:54 pm
I vote for Ralph.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,246 • Replies: 15
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 01:04 pm
I always thought that Tony was the most despicable; he was the head of the operation.
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 03:31 pm
@contrex,
Tony was bad, but Ralph was a sadist.

To Tony, it was his business, Ralph not only enjoyed physically torturing people, but was a bully.
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 03:34 pm
@contrex,
Remember Tracy, the stripper that Ralph got pregnant?

Even though she wasn't that smart, and didn't have a great profession, she didn't deserve what she got from Ralph.
He not only killed her, but made her do perverse things for his pleasure.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 03:48 pm
They were all bad, and in some ways deciding who was worst is a bit like wondering whether Ted Bundy was "worse" than Jack The Ripper, except that all of the Sopranos characters were fictional. Given that, I find the idea of a man (Tony) who would cold bloodedly wipe out people for "business" reasons slightly more chilling than a beastly sadistic brute (Ralph) who at least could offer the excuse of being somewhat "sick".
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 03:55 pm
@contrex,
I think Ted Bundy was worse than Jack the Ripper.

Of all the Soprano characters, I think Bobby had the most going for him.
I don't remember him ever killing anyone unless it was a "me or him" situation. I could be wrong.

But Bobby had a lot of good qualities. He loved his wife Carol, and his kids. He married Janice when Carol died in a car accident so his kids could have a mother.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 03:57 pm
Ahhhh.....but my favoritest character ever was Furio!

I really liked him a lot.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 04:00 pm
@chai2,
oh, btw contrex, thanks for pointing out to me they were fictional characters, I never would have known.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 04:01 pm
@chai2,
Tony's mother Livia (portrayed by Nancy Marchand) was rather despicable.

A close second would be Tony's sister Janice (Aida Turturro) who then married Bobby Baccalieri (nicely portrayed by Steven Schirripa) . When Janice started doing some evil instant message things with Bobby's kids I knew it was going bad. Her entire thing was to get hitched and be with one of the big boys in her brothers group, she was beyond despicable because of what she was doing playing with the minds of children all for her own gain.

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 04:09 pm
@Sturgis,
Oh yeah, Livia and Janice.

Livia was one piece of work, wasn't she? The mother from hell. Especially when she and Junior put out a hit on Tony.

And Janice, she was going though all the guys one by one....Richie (who she killed), Ralph, then Bobby.

Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 04:26 pm
@chai2,
With Livia I tried to at least give her the excuse of age and her mind being warped from years in 'the family' but Janice was terrible and when she went after Bobby's kids playing head games with them I wanted her gone (and I don't mean on a month long trip somewhere).

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 06:27 pm
@Sturgis,
Pauley Walnuts was my nominee for the top antisocial character.
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 06:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Pauley Walnuts was my nominee for the top antisocial character.

He did have some of the funniest lines though.

Remember when he found out is mother was really his aunt, and his aunt the nun was his mother?

He called her a whore.
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 06:55 pm
@chai2,
Paulie was one cheap bastid though.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 12:05 am
I remember getting flamed on a discussion forum during the last-but-one season. The thread topic was something like "How do we want The Sopranos to end?". I said that Tony Soprano was a criminal who belonged in prison for life without parole. Along with his crew of murdering bastards. It seemed that many people thought otherwise. Also one or two people brutally reminded that he was a fictional character, and I suspected that some of the people posting had fantasies about being Mafia members.

I t6hink the point about them being fictional is a valid one. Real people do real things to real victims. Fictional characters don't.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 12:43 am
@chai2,
Was Ralph the pimp who beat his stripper to death? I'd vote for him, too.

Edit. I just read your other responses. He was. So yes, it's Ralph.
0 Replies