What does claims mean here?

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 05:35 am

Context:

Having no pretensions to the high and commanding claims of my predecessors, whose names are so much more conspicuously identified with our Revolution, and who contributed so preeminently to promote its success, I consider myself rather as the instrument than the cause of the union which has prevailed in the late election. In surmounting, in favor of my humble pretensions, the difficulties which so often produce division in like occurrences, it is obvious that other powerful causes, indicating the great strength and stability of our Union, have essentially contributed to draw you together. That these powerful causes exist, and that they are permanent, is my fixed opinion; that they may produce a like accord in all questions touching, however remotely, the liberty, prosperit

More:
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/inaugurals.php
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 509 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
PUNKEY
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 05:37 am
Having no pretensions to the high and commanding claims of my predecessors = contrary to the great things my relatives say about me, . . . .
oristarA

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 06:03 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Having no pretensions to the high and commanding claims of my predecessors = contrary to the great things my relatives say about me, . . . .

Excellent!
What does "in favor of my humble pretensions" mean?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 06:10 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Mistaken. Your predecessors are not your relatives; they are people who came before you.

This is from President Monroe's inaugural address of 1817, as oristarA has (as usual) omitted to tell us.

The claims are those which Monroe's predecessors (as President) were entitled to make, of having helped to found the nation.
0 Replies