Listening to the Supreme Court hearings on Obamacare. . .

revelette

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 08:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
From what I am presently hearing though, if states don't comply with the Medicaid expansion, the federal government can't take their money away but I think they have to pay a penalty. I think. Wink
Thomas

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 08:47 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
I think this shows that bad oral arguments don't necessarily lose cases.

It does. I just learned something.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 08:48 am
@revelette,
Yes, you're right: the only provision of the law that didn't survive was a rule allowing the government to withhold Medicaid funds from states that didn't comply with the Medicaid expansion provision
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 08:55 am
PDF copy of the opinion now available:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/11-393c3a2.pdf

Quote:
The Affordable Care Act’s requirement that certain individuals pay a financial penalty for not obtaining health insurance may reasonably be characterized as a tax. Because the Constitution permits such a tax, it is not our role to forbid it, or to pass upon its wisdom or fairness.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 09:04 am
I'm pleased as punch right now, when I think about all the hours that I spent arguing that this was indeed Constitutional, online. And when I think about the vehemence with which every elected Republican claimed this was unconstitutional.

Cycloptichorn
revelette

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 09:05 am
@joefromchicago,
According to an article left by, BBB, it was part B argument which won the case.

Quote:
The Obama administration had argued that mandating that everyone in the country have insurance was constitutional under the Commerce Clause of the Constitution. That was the administration's "A argument," as Ari explained. The "B" argument was that the individual mandate was constitutional under the federal government's ability to tax. During debate in Congress and in the law itself, the mandate is called a "penalty." It was up to the Supreme Court to decide whether the penalty was indeed a tax.

source
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 09:12 am
it was http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/28/how-will-supreme-court-rule-on-health-care-law/?hpt=hp_t1

Stupid cnn... see what I get for having a job? I miss the whole story.
revelette

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 09:19 am

Quote:
On the Medicaid issue, a majority of the Court holds that the Medicaid expansion is constitutional but that it would be unconstitutional for the federal government to withhold Medicaid funds for non-compliance with the expansion provisions. Here is the quote: “Nothing in our opinion precludes Congress from offering funds under the ACA to expand the availability of health care, and requiring that states accepting such funds comply with the conditions on their use. What Congress is not free to do is to penalize States that choose not to participate in that new program by taking away their existing Medicaid funding.”

source

So, the federal government can't take away all money for Medicare from states who refuse to comply with the Medicaid expansion, but they can take away funding meant for that expansion and they can expand it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 09:20 am
@McGentrix,
As a famous Texas statesman once said: "oops."

Quote:
CNN and Fox News were left with egg on their faces on Thursday, as they got the Supreme Court's ruling on President Obama's health care law wrong.

The trouble started early for CNN. Congressional correspondent Kate Boulduan read out part of the Court's ruling, which said that the individual mandate could not be upheld using the Commerce Clause. Disastrously, though, it failed to pick up the other part of the ruling, which said that it could be upheld as a tax.

Here's a tip for all aspiring legal correspondents out there: don't read court opinions from the top to the bottom. Read the ending first and then go back to the top. That's what I do. Saves a lot of time and cuts down on misunderstandings.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 09:29 am
At the time of my posting, that's all they had to say. Then I had to step out of the office to perform some job thing for an hour. I get back and look what happens. Left with a small smile of vindication, sat back down with a grumble. Smile
Thomas

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 09:57 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
I think this shows that bad oral arguments don't necessarily lose cases.

Maybe not bad oral arguments, but definitely bad arguments. The worst part of Verilli's performance was that he had no answer to the strongest Commerce-Clause challenge. He had no argument that clearing Obamacare under the Commerce Clause would not create unlimited federal powers. It now seems that the weakness of Verilli's oral argument goes back to his brief, and that it did cause Roberts to strike down the Commerce-Clause justification.

Chief justice Roberts, on page 27 of his opinion, wrote:
The Government argues that the individual mandate can be sustained as a sort of exception to this rule [that Congress can't create commerce in order to regulate it], because health insurance is a unique product. According to the Government, upholding the individual mandate would not justify mandatory purchases of items such as cars or broccoli because, as the Government puts it, “[h]ealth insurance is not purchased for its own sake like a car or broccoli; it is a means of financing healthcare consumption and covering universal risks.” Reply Brief for United States 19. But cars and broccoli are no more purchased for their “own sake” than health insurance. They are purchased to cover the need for transportation and food.

Any health care economist could have told Verilli's team what the real distinction is: Unlike a failure to buy cars or broccoli, failure to buy health insurance makes health care less accessible to those who want it. That's a substantial effect on interstate commerce (certainly greater than growing corn for your own cows) that certainly justifies regulation. Apparently Verilli never consulted any health care economists.

When Obamacare was first challenged about two years ago, I thought the lawsuits were spurious. I still do, and I still find it hard to believe that Obamacare only made it by the skin of its teeth.
Irishk

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 09:57 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm pleased as punch right now, when I think about all the hours that I spent arguing that this was indeed Constitutional, online. And when I think about the vehemence with which every elected Republican claimed this was unconstitutional.
Wait. As I understand it, it's unconstitutional under the Commerce Clause, but constitutional to impose it as a 'tax'.

Or, did I, as per usual, misunderstand AGAIN???
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 09:58 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Wait. As I understand it, it's unconstitutional under the Commerce Clause, but constitutional to impose it as a 'tax'.

Or, did I, as per usual, misunderstand AGAIN???

Pretty sure that's how they ruled.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:08 am
@Irishk,
You got it right.

The US constitution enumerates and thereby limits the powers of the federal government, while reserving all remaining powers to the states and the people. The question before the court was whether any of the enumerated powers justify Obamacare. The Justice Department claimed there were two: the commerce power and the taxing-and-spending power. The Supreme Court held that only the taxing-and-spending power justifies Obamacare. That the power to regulate commerce doesn't justify it will likely affect future cases, but has no practical consequences for Obamacare.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:30 am
@McGentrix,
Don't worry about it, McGentrix. If you had not posted it, many of us would not have known about CNN's big goof because they've totally covered it up.

Thanks.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:32 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

[Updated at 10:06 a.m. ET] In a landmark decision that will impact the nation for decades, the Supreme Court on Thursday struck down a key provision of President Barack Obama's health care law, ruling that requiring people to have health insurance violates the Constitution.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__xQRsYhanvI/SPyl-QV0xMI/AAAAAAAAAp4/f4SYwYoTt28/s400/Dewey.bmp

http://dailydish.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e2016767f276fe970b-550wi

Cycloptichorn
revelette

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:36 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
The most straightforward reading of the individual mandate is thatit commands individuals to purchase insurance. But, for the reasons explained, the Commerce Clause does not give Congress that power.It is therefore necessary to turn to the Government’s alternative argument: that the mandate may be upheld as within Congress’s power to “lay and collect Taxes.”Art. I, §8, cl. 1. In pressing its taxingpower argument, the Government asks the Court to view the mandate as imposing a tax on those who do not buy that product. Because “every reasonable construction must be resorted to, in order tosave a statute from unconstitutionality,” Hooper v. California, 155
U. S. 648, 657, the question is whether it is “fairly possible” to intepret the mandate as imposing such a tax, Crowell v. Benson, 285
U. S. 22, 62. Pp. 31–32.r
4. CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS delivered the opinion of the Court with respect to Part III–C, concluding that the individual mandate may beupheld as within Congress’s power under the Taxing Clause. Pp. 33–

source

It seems to me that the government gave two arguments, the SC rejected the first but went with the second. Good thing they had an alternative justification. Still surprised they accepted any arguments at all.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:46 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
From what I am presently hearing though, if states don't comply with the Medicaid expansion, the federal government can't take their money away but I think they have to pay a penalty. I think. Wink

Obamacare accorded extra money to the states in return for extra obligations. It threatened to withdraw all Medicare money for states that don't meet their extra obligation. Today's decision removes this threat. "Congress may offer the States grants and require the States to comply with accompanying conditions, but the States must have a genuine choice whether to accept the offer." As I understand Roberts, Congress can withhold the extra money that finances the extra obligations, but it can't withhold all Medicaid money altogether.
Thomas

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:48 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Laughing What would we do without Photoshop!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 11:58 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Maybe not bad oral arguments, but definitely bad arguments.

No question about that.

Thomas wrote:
The worst part of Verilli's performance was that he had no answer to the strongest Commerce-Clause challenge. He had no argument that clearing Obamacare under the Commerce Clause would not create unlimited federal powers. It now seems that the weakness of Verilli's oral argument goes back to his brief, and that it did cause Roberts to strike down the Commerce-Clause justification.

Without a doubt, the SG should have been expecting the "broccoli question" from Scalia. That was something conservative commentators had been asking for weeks prior to the oral argument. That he completely flubbed the answer during oral argument is inexcusable. I haven't read the briefs or the opinion, so I don't know how bad the government's argument was or how much it influenced Roberts's opinion. The portion that you cited certainly suggests that the commerce clause argument could have been better made.
0 Replies