Obama willing to concede to Russia (but only after he wins reelection)

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 07:03 pm
In an "off the mike" comment, Obama stated:

Quote:
President Obama: "On all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this, this can be solved but it’s important for him to give me space."

President Medvedev: "Yeah, I understand. I understand your message about space. Space for you…"

President Obama: "This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility."

President Medvedev: "I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir, and I stand with you."

Obama has once again stepped on it and will again face accusations of appeasing those who antagonize the US while forsaking our allies. Poland is justly disturbed thinking that Obama is contemplating "trading Poland for the missile shield. "

However setting that aside, I am more troubled by the hubris that he can seemingly solve these issues unilaterally after the election. Why does he speak as an individual "I need more time"'; "I'll have more flexibility"? Is he an all-powerful monarch that need not worry about the other branches of the government nor will of the people after he wins reelection? Or is he the head of a democratic nation? Does he speak for the nation or for himself? I'd be far less concerned about this if he'd spoken about the "space" the US people need and "flexibilty" they can offer in the future.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,102 • Replies: 0
No top replies