The politics of hoodie wearing

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 03:16 am
@aidan,
It is bullshit to attempt to pretend that the discussion about gun crime was one of absolute numbers. It wasn't, it was about percentages all along, so the greater population of the United States does not explain why there his a higher percentage of gun crime than in Canada.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 03:21 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Aidan says:
Quote:
I'm afraid of guns in the hands of criminals. I'm not any more afraid of the average unarmed American as I am of the average unarmed Brit or Italian or Spaniard, etc.

Ah, but ARMED American citizens are the ones you've got to watch out for. Like the student at the CHRISTIAN college in California this week who was turned down for a nursing program, so shot and killed seven people. Hey, you gotta take out your disappointment on someone, don't you?

Or the guy who was mad at the way his wife cooked his eggs so he got his gun and killed her and the two neighbors she ran to for help. David said it was her fault because she wasn't wearing a gun while she cooked breakfast.

Or the guy who shot and killed a Japanese exchange student who came to his door because he was lost and was looking for directions to a Halloween party and didn't speak great English.

If you see an American with a gun, get out of Dodge fast.
U r a lot more likely to get hit by a car.
According to Ted Kennedy, maybe about 20 years ago,
there r about 8O,OOO,OOO gun owners in America.
When these alleged events happened,
what percentage of us were in error??
Most of the rest of those 8O,OOO,OOO remained peaceful
and we do not relinquish our defensive rights to keep and bear arms.

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 03:33 am
David, you are constructing more and more strained scenarios out of whole cloth, in the absence of any evidence, to exonerate someone who shot and killed an unarmed kid. Zimmerman apparently lied about where the murder took place. He lied about who was crying for help on the tape. He was the one who accosted Trayvon, not the other way around. He was the one who pushed a confrontation when Trayvon ran from it. You ASSUME he was attacked when the evidence points the other way. And to go from something that didn't even involve fists to killing someone would be completely unjustifiable in any state more sane than Florida. Trayvon also was completely within his rights to wear a hoodie, to walk where he was walking, to do what he was doing, to ask why someone was following him. Youre saying he lost his life because he wasn't polite. Being impolite is completely within his rights. If he in fact was. I'd say he was probably more in fear of his life than Zimmerman was, but he didn't have a gun. Would you be defending him if he'd had a gun and killed Zimmerman? I seriously doubt it. He lost his life from someone;s paranoia and resort to predatory violence.. That is barbaric. Someone who supports that is barbaric. You really are.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 03:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Is there any objective, impartial evidence on that point??

This is from a very interesting article I was reading for work as we're getting quite a few soldiers returning from Afghanistan who are having trouble reintegrating into society:
Here's the link:
http://www.military-sf.com/Killing.htm

I think this excerpt really covers just about all of the influences of social, emotional and cultural distance Zimmerman exhibited that he felt toward Trayvon through his own words:
Quote:

Emotional and physical distance can also allow a person to kill his foe.
Distance can be classified as mechanical, social, cultural and emotional distance.
Physical distance has to do with the distance. It is much more difficult to kill someone when you can feel his breath and see the fear in his eyes as you ram home a knife. It is very traumatic at such close range.

Distance from the other human directly affects how easy it is to kill him.

Emotional distance allows a person to kill at closer ranges and allows him to justify it more easily. Cultural distance is defined as viewing the enemy as an inferior life form. The enemy is dehumanized and considered inferior. Like the Nazi's classified Jews and blacks as inferior and subhuman, putting them outside the human species and thus little more than an animal to be killed.

Moral distance is classifying the enemy as morally wrong. US troops fighting the Nazi's or Japanese had moral distance to help them kill. The Nazi's were butchers, cruel and vicious. The Nazi's were guilty and had to be punished by those who were right and just.

Social Distance is a form of classifying others as lesser beings. For instance, in the medieval ages of Knights and men-at-arms, the Knights, the nobility were the primary killers. A soldier could look across the line at another soldier just like him, terrified and unwilling to kill. A Knight would look down at the serf/soldiers as lesser beings who simply could not compare to himself and their loss was not important because they were not as great as he was.

I mean, Zimmerman just assumed that Trayvon was doing something wrong and so was able to convince himself that at least morally - he was distanced from him. Even if he wasn't racist and culturally distanced from Trayvon by viewing him as lesser - why did he look at him and assume he was 'up to no good'?

aidan

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 03:43 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
It is bullshit to attempt to pretend that the discussion about gun crime was one of absolute numbers. It wasn't, it was about percentages all along, so the greater population of the United States does not explain why there his a higher percentage of gun crime than in Canada.

Uh duh...I was simply making that one point- actually acknowledging that what I wrote was confusing and not what I meant.
Leave me the **** alone.

I think I've said about ten times now is I think it's a mixture of things - most importantly that there is easier availability to guns in the US .
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 03:56 am
David says:
Quote:

10,000 or so of you don't remain peaceful every year. And that's just counting gun murders.
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 04:01 am
@aidan,
I'm not going to "leave [you] the **** alone" as long as you're spreaing bullshit. The greater population of the United States does not explain why there is a higher percentage of gun crime than in Canada. Dance all you want, that's bullshit. All i want to see is acknowledgement from you.
aidan

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 04:26 am
@Setanta,
I think I've said about ten times now is I think it's a mixture of things - most importantly that there is easier availability to guns in the US

You should read that stuff about the psychology of killing - only substitute the word 'bullying' for 'killing'- you might find it applicable to your own behavior.

For about seven years now you've followed me around maligning my character and intelligence, usually calling me derogatory and debasing names (not this time I admit), all without ever having to look me in the eye - even when I told you I'd meet with you and your girl to have it out.
No - you'd rather keep your safe and anonymous distance to debase me as a human being.

I don't think Americans are genetically more predisposed to violence, but I do know guns are more readily and easily available - which is especially dangerous given certain tensions that are the reality in our country, borne out by our history, as opposed to certain other countries - namely Canada.

Do I have to say it again? I do not believe it is because there are more people - but I do believe it is because there are more guns, and more historical and racially based tension than might be present in other countries.

I think it is complicated - but just as I don't believe black people or any other race or nationality of people are more genetically prone to violence, I don't believe Americans are either.
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 04:30 am
@aidan,
You consider being told you are wrong to be bullying? Why the hell bother to post here at all? If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

You've never offered to meet me face to face, nor with "my girl." I certainly would go to no trouble or expense to grafify your paranoia. You badly need to get over yourself.

You were wrong, i pointed it our, and now your peeing in your panties over it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 05:04 am
@aidan,
DAVID wrote:
Is there any objective, impartial evidence on that point??
aidan wrote:
This is from a very interesting article I was reading for work as we're getting quite a few soldiers returning from Afghanistan who are having trouble reintegrating into society:
Here's the link:
http://www.military-sf.com/Killing.htm

I think this excerpt really covers just about all of the influences of social, emotional and cultural distance Zimmerman exhibited that he felt toward Trayvon through his own words:

Quote:

Emotional and physical distance can also allow a person to kill his foe.
Distance can be classified as mechanical, social, cultural and emotional distance.
Physical distance has to do with the distance. It is much more difficult to kill someone when you can feel his breath and see the fear in his eyes as you ram home a knife. It is very traumatic at such close range.

Distance from the other human directly affects how easy it is to kill him.

Emotional distance allows a person to kill at closer ranges and allows him to justify it more easily. Cultural distance is defined as viewing the enemy as an inferior life form. The enemy is dehumanized and considered inferior. Like the Nazi's classified Jews and blacks as inferior and subhuman, putting them outside the human species and thus little more than an animal to be killed.

Moral distance is classifying the enemy as morally wrong. US troops fighting the Nazi's or Japanese had moral distance to help them kill. The Nazi's were butchers, cruel and vicious. The Nazi's were guilty and had to be punished by those who were right and just.

Social Distance is a form of classifying others as lesser beings. For instance, in the medieval ages of Knights and men-at-arms, the Knights, the nobility were the primary killers. A soldier could look across the line at another soldier just like him, terrified and unwilling to kill. A Knight would look down at the serf/soldiers as lesser beings who simply could not compare to himself and their loss was not important because they were not as great as he was.
I find little merit in this fellow 's opinions, Rebecca.
Thay seem to be subjective. I did not see citations to objective tests.
I don't believe his assertions.
When I came under gunfire, personally, I did not begin to assess
"inferiority" and distance was relevant only for lining up a shot
(which I was not able to do because of the speed with which predators fled
when I took out my own gun, in stainless steel mirror).
My thawts went to ending the threat; I certainly did not care
about the humanity of the perpetrators, nor about "social distance".

aidan wrote:
I mean, Zimmerman just assumed that Trayvon was doing something wrong and so was able to convince himself that at least morally - he was distanced from him. Even if he wasn't racist and culturally distanced from Trayvon by viewing him as lesser - why did he look at him and assume he was 'up to no good'?
I guess that he looked like he was casing the houses.
Mr. Z probably thawt that his hood was being used as a mask.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 05:11 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

David says:

DAVID wrote:
MontereyJack wrote:
10,000 or so of you don't remain peaceful every year. And that's just counting gun murders.
I understand that turf battles between competing gangs
for drug sales territory comprise a substantial proportion of that.
If the criminals kill one another, that is not necessarily too bad.

David
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 06:56 am
@aidan,
Comparing violent crime between countries is difficult because they don't always use the same definition of what constitutes a violent crime.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:02 am
@snood,
Quote:
Boomerang shared a video showing Geraldo putting forth the opinion that Trayvon's apparel choice that night was as much to blame for his death as anything.
And it would be nice if we could return to that theme, I include myself in the 'we' as I have veered well off topic myself.

Quote:
I just thought I'd recap - since the thread had devolved at the hands of Lash, Finn, Omsick and Birdseye into a lamentation about how much conservatives love Dr King, and how racist blacks with victimhood mindsets and deceptive liberals are subverting the pursuit of justice.
Don't forget yourself Snood, you have also been part of it and it'd be unfortunate if you didn't receive honorable mention along with the others. They may approach from one side, you make an equally strong approach from the other.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:12 am
@Sturgis,
I have never thought of Snood as a white conservative. But, I suppose if they can do it to MLK, they can do it to anyone.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:17 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
The 911 calls alone provide enough, but when coupled with the police report and the accepted fact that the kid is dead and had no weapon, the rest is easy to deduce. There's always the possibility that some new fact could come out that would change my perception, but it's not likely. These are the very basic facts and they were not obtained from watching television. You are welcome to see it otherwise, but your judgment doesn't pursuade me.
djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:21 am
@Irishk,
a few news agencies ran with stories that comedian Colin Quinn posted on his twitter account, and then had to retract the statements, classic stuff

i used to love it when Captain Janks (sp) used to prank the news and then send the tapes to Howard Stern, many times he'd get through on breaking stories and pretend to be an authority, the best part was he almost always used his home phone, and a simple check would have shown he couldn't possibly be the fire chief for San Bernadina (sp) live on the scene of a huge fire when his phone number was from Philadelphia
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:22 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
The 911 calls alone provide enough, but when coupled with the police report and the accepted fact that the kid is dead and had no weapon, the rest is easy to deduce. There's always the possibility that some new fact could come out that would change my perception, but it's not likely. These are the very basic facts and they were not obtained from watching television. You are welcome to see it otherwise, but your judgment doesn't pursuade me.
Well, fortunately, it appears that Mr. Z is safe.
Justice has been served.

David
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:27 am
@FreeDuck,
What makes this story a big deal to me was the cavalier attitude taken by the police and prosecutors. The shooter wasn't arrested. The scene wasn't really even treated as a possible crime scene. There are lots of shootings that don't rise to the level of national outrage. But that's because normally our justice system does its job.

The reason race comes into play is that when white teenagers are shot, there is much more urgency taken by police, and local media, to get justice.

Had this killing been treated like a crime from the start, this would not have been a national story. Had the teenager who was killed been white, it would have been treated like a crime from the start.

The main calls are for Zimmerman to be arrested and get his fair trial in a court just like any other killer. This seems like a very reasonable request.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:35 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
What makes this story a big deal to me was the cavalier attitude taken by the police and prosecutors.
The shooter wasn't arrested.
He did not do anything rong.

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:50 am
@aidan,
Quote:
I was looking at my son the other day standing there wearing his baseball cap under his sweatshirt jacket with the hood up and thinking, 'It could have been him'.

This is where I find myself too -- even though Mo is white. People are sometimes afraid of teenage boys, no matter what their skin color is.

I get that what Geraldo said sounds very "blame the victim". He went on to say that Trayvon was not at all to blame for what happened. I think his point was that how people perceive you changes things -- it doesn't change you, it changes them, and you can't control that.

Frankly, as the parent of a young man, hearing people on this thread say that Zimmerman was justified for shooting Treyvon scares the **** out of me.