The politics of hoodie wearing

Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:32 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
now there are witnesses? multiple witnesses?

Give it time, Al Sharpton will be swearing he saw it all.

The second he came along I knew the circus was in full performance.
djjd62

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:48 am
@Sturgis,
that's the one aspect of this case that bothers me the most, the fact that i might be on the same side as that fat shyster douchebag
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 09:52 am
Some of you guys might want to take a look at this:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-02/news/os-trayvon-martin-enhanced-video-040212_1_reporter-matt-gutman-abc-news-neighborhood-watch-volunteer-zimmerman
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 10:05 am
Doesn't look much like a wound to me on Zimmerman, even enhanced. While we're talking wounds, the undertakers who prepared Trayvon's body for burial said there was no evidence of scrapes or wounds or injuries to his hands. They routinely cover up things like that when they find them, so the body looks good for the funeral service. But they found nothing to cover up on Trayvon. You hit someone, you tend to open a wound on yourself. Skin on your hands is pretty fragile. Touch even a piece of paper wrong and you get a cut. Hit someone on a bony place, you're probably gonna skin your knuckles, at least. Nothing on Trayvon. No evidence he attacked anyone.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 10:08 am
@MontereyJack,
I wasn't able to find the "enhanced" images.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 10:15 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Doesn't look much like a wound to me on Zimmerman, even enhanced. While we're talking wounds, the undertakers who prepared Trayvon's body for burial said there was no evidence of scrapes or wounds or injuries to his hands. They routinely cover up things like that when they find them, so the body looks good for the funeral service. But they found nothing to cover up on Trayvon. You hit someone, you tend to open a wound on yourself. Skin on your hands is pretty fragile. Touch even a piece of paper wrong and you get a cut. Hit someone on a bony place, you're probably gonna skin your knuckles, at least. Nothing on Trayvon. No evidence he attacked anyone.
It would depend upon the level of force. If George Zimmerman saw the fist coming towards him and he flinched and pulled back at the last second, he may have only received a slight hit. If as is alleged Trayvon Martin was on top of him, is it possible that Trayvon Martin's body force came in contact with Mr.Zimmerman's nose causing it to bleed? Trayvon Martin was taller than George Zimmerman and his chest or chin might have hit George Zimmerman's nose. In the body tackle Zimmerman hit his head once, now if Trayvon then slammed Mr.Zimmerman's head a few more times there would not be evidence of that on Trayvon's hands. S0 maybe Trayvon Martin hit George Zimmerman once and only once. Not all punches yield wounds.

As for the funeral director, he may be breaking some law by discussing such personal matters especially in an ongoing case.
0 Replies

8th

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 10:16 am
@boomerang,
Hahahaha The Little rascles even had an old episode in which they had the child cast wearing bags on their heads. They then hold up cards With "K K K ?" Then the one black cast member is shown with his bag having a black face.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 10:18 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I wasn't able to find the "enhanced" images.

I went directly to abc news. You can google the information if this one below suddenly gets yanked. It's not a really great video, still a bit of a distance.
(warning, the video includes Al Sharpton)

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/george-zimmerman-enhanced-video-shows-injury-trayvon-martin-16053206
DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 10:23 am
@Sturgis,
Good lord.

Image enhancement is notorious for introducing artifacts. Without seeing the surrounding frames enhanced as well, there's no way to judge if this is anything except an artifact.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 10:56 am
@Sturgis,
Why shoot him? You have a gun to wave the attacker off with?

It certainly is a changing story. Trayvon was on top of him. Trayvon struggled for the gun. Trayvon turned to come back to beat him up some more? Which story will it be tomorrow?

The problem is Zimmerman wasn't that injured from his "fight". You can argue all you want about 'bleeding' but it takes more than a little blood to make one fear for their life.
Lash

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 02:06 pm
@snood,
It's fascinating to me that people are still arguing about Zimmerman's race - as if they'll lose something important to them if they can't say the shooter was white. I'm interested to move further through the event - how it happened WHY it happened - what we can learn from it - but LOL - it's too ridiculous to me to look at a picture of this man - and be silent when people say he's white. Why would I do that? Would you? It just stops me from moving forward.

If we negate facts about the event - the most basic preliminary facts - then how can we feel we've gained anything from further analysis, built on a faulty foundation?

I think everything about Zimmerman should be looked at honestly if we are going to know why this happened and attempt to use that knowledge to prevent repeats.

Lash

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 02:09 pm
@sozobe,
Definitely! But, why call him white? I think it's pretty clear racism drove the guy. I don't understand if the 911 dispatch told Zimmerman to stop following - and he didn't - why there haven't been charges. I thought that would supercede this Stand Your Ground thing....and also thought Trayvon was the one standing his ground...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 02:12 pm
@parados,
Parados.
You're being silly.
Your racial experience in the world is based on what you look like. You really need this guy to be white for your political purposes, don't you? Why not just cop to the fact? What happened to that child is no less wrong.
Lash

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 02:22 pm
@MontereyJack,
Really good point. If Trayvon had actually been able to defend himself, and Zim was dead - what would we be thinking? But, I am relieved at least we have Zim's 911 call...and Trayvon's gf's account (if that can be trusted).
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 02:57 pm
http://motherjones.com/politics/2012/03/what-happened-trayvon-martin-explained
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 04:10 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Parados.
You're being silly.
Your racial experience in the world is based on what you look like. You really need this guy to be white for your political purposes, don't you? Why not just cop to the fact? What happened to that child is no less wrong.

I am being ACCURATE, FACTUAL, CORRECT, PROPER.

He is by the standards of race, white. You are the one that has an issue with calling him white. I was only responding to you demanding that he NOT be white. I don't think it is my political purpose you need to worry about Lash.

He is also hispanic. Yes, that can color how one is treated. But you can NOT have an issue with the news referring to him as white when he IS white.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 04:38 pm
@Lash,
It's "fascinating" to you, but it seems you have been the one driving the conflict about what race Zimmerman is.
To answer your questions about whether I could be silent about his race... Yeah. Because in this case, his race doesn't matter.The person whose race served as any kind of stimulant in this matter was Trayvon. It doesn't matter what Zimmerman was, but that he (seemed to) have a problem with young black men. And that would still be true whether I call him white, Hispanic or whatever.

In other unjust killings in recent history like that of Sean Bell - killed by off duty police officers while leaving his batchelor party - some of the shooters were black or hispanic. The thing that caused all of them to tragically overreact was the race of the boisterous young black men they shot. I wouldn't give half a shyt if any of those shooters had been misidentified as Asian, because in that case as in this one, their race doesn't matter.

It is the defenders of Zimmerman (not saying you are, but you seem to have this in common with them) who are making a big deal out of the fact that Zimmerman is Hispanic and not white. They also never miss a chance to throw into the discussion that Zimmerman had black acquaintances and friends. They make these points to attempt to deflect and mitigate the evidence that says he acted out of racial bigotry toward young black men. Not saying you are making the point about his race for the same reason, but you have making the point in common with them.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 04:41 pm
@snood,
Great post, snood. I couldn't agree more.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 05:07 pm
@snood,
I for one have little interest in what Zimmermans motives might have been, because they don't matter. The central point is was the killing justified, which means did Zimmerman need to use deadly force in order to preserve his bodily health....or not, as I think is much more likely.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 05:40 pm
Well, I have been clear that race was a component re Zimmerman getting out of that car but have thought the policeman wannabe thing was primary. Just how racist he is or not, I've no idea, and it's true that friends have defended him on that for whatever it's worth. Now that I read about more people being sure about hearing the coon business on the recording and whatever is quoted about these guys running away I see it as an amalgam of the two.

Among the aspects of this is, as Free Duck said, why didn't he just roll down the window and ask him what he was about? Fear of black guys in hoodies? Panic in Gateville?

Few of us are saints but I have trouble seeing the scenarios that Trayvon was the aggressor are in any way likely - he was the one being 'stalked' and even if he did hit out, which I don't just buy, it would be a defensive stand.

I'll be interested in the denouement of all this.