spin = fabricate?

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:11 pm

Context:
Assad emails: father-in-law gave advice from UK during crackdownCardiologist told Bashar al-Assad how to spin Syrian uprising, including rebuttal of apparent child torture footage
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 453 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 12:04 am
@oristarA,
No. Genuine spin is not a fabrication. It just portrays an event in an extremely positive manner.

Here's an old joke to illustrate the idea.

There was a footrace staged between only two countries: the U.S. and Russia. The Russians lost, but they applied a little spin. As they reported the story, The USA finished next to last, while the Russian team finishe in second place.

Second place sounds pretty good, if you forget there were only two teams. Notice they didn't lie or fabricate anything.
oristarA

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 12:30 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

No. Genuine spin is not a fabrication. It just portrays an event in an extremely positive manner.

Here's an old joke to illustrate the idea.

There was a footrace staged between only two countries: the U.S. and Russia. The Russians lost, but they applied a little spin. As they reported the story, The USA finished next to last, while the Russian team finishe in second place.

Second place sounds pretty good, if you forget there were only two teams. Notice they didn't lie or fabricate anything.

Very Happy It seems we all apply such little spin quite a lot.
roger

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 02:08 am
@oristarA,
Of course we do. Most people hate to tell a direct lie, but I doubt I know anyone that doesn't apply a little spin, misdirection, or at least allow us to draw false conclusions.
0 Replies