What does the sentence mean?

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:10 am
Does "People bummed out by the features that Apple did not put into its freshly baked tablet computer weigh in" mean " People join in discussion because they are disappointed by the features (blah blah blah)"?

Context:
Then the mood shifts. People bummed out by the features that Apple did not put into its freshly baked tablet computer weigh in. No extra storage or expansion options, no smaller-screen model to compete against the likes of Amazon's Kindle Fire. Still no Adobe Flash, and no camera flash, either. Not even Siri, the chatty personal assistant who, depending on where you are coming from, either charms owners of the iPhone 4S or bugs them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 938 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
roger

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:14 am
@oristarA,
Bummed out does mean disappointed, usually to the point of being mildly depressed.
oristarA

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 01:52 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Bummed out does mean disappointed, usually to the point of being mildly depressed.

Thank you.

The major sentence is "People weigh in"(people begin to discuss)?
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 02:42 am
@oristarA,
Yes - to discuss. I have no idea where these idioms come from, but weigh in means to express their opinions - in this particular case.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:43 am
In my country, the UK, where the idiom "weigh in" is well understood, before taking part in a boxing or wrestling match the two opponents have to be stand on scales to confirn that they are within the limits for the weight class they are fighting in. This is called "weighing in". I believe the idiomatic use, to mean entering a dispute or contest on one side or the other, may come from this.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 03:25 pm
I think it means that they are giving their opinion on this product.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 08:01 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
People bummed out by the features that Apple did not put into its freshly baked tablet computer weigh in.

People really disappointed by the features that Apple did not put into its freshly baked tablet computer give their candid opinions.
0 Replies