Dumb questions about tags

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 10:51 am
This is going to sound like a dumb question to you computer guys, but if I tag a thread “Business”, would it then appear under “Business And Marketing” or would a new forum be created, just “Business”

And if the former, suppose I tagged it just “And.” Would it then appear under every forum whose title included that word

Then suppose I wanted it to appear under both Relationships and Riddles. Would I type both names or would I have to separate them somehow in order to avoid creating a new forum called “Relationships Riddles”

When I Ask a Question or Start a Discussion first of all to whom an I talking or does everybody have access to it

Second I don’t see a link to the tag box so how do I know in which forum it will appear

Again apologize for being so massively ignorant in these matters

But hey I have this great idea which however I hope wouldn’t be to difficult to implement: I note the 48 most popular forums listed below. Instead of the need to laboriously type the name of the forums in which you wish your thread to appear, why not instead make it possible to just click on the desired title

Thanks again all for your interest in my dumb q's

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 11:34 am
@dalehileman,
You might want to review the tutorial I've given you links to. It will help clarify the answers to these questions.

Here's a link to it again in case you've misplaced it. You might want to bookmark it for future reference.

http://able2know.org/topic/152761-1

Ceili

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 11:41 am
@dalehileman,
I'm having a hard time understanding why any of this matters. Why do you care? Is it for your own filing purposes or are you considering the audience??
Tags do two things.
The help you organize the things you write and the threads you want to read. I tagged one of my threads spamalot. There is no spamalot forum per se, but if someone searches spamalot, they might find it. I don't care if anyone searches for the thread or not, or if they use the spamalot tag or not. It's their choice.
Forums are general catchalls. If you want to align your topics to a forum, GREAT. Awesome. If you don't, c'est la vie.
If you write a thread on cooking, sure put tag it as a cooking thread, or don't. Chances are some one will anyway. Somebody else might tag it Chinese food, or snuflufageous. In the end, if it means something to someone, they'll tag is how they see fit or they wont. It's only important if you want it to be. I hardly tag anything. If I want to find something, I'll either use the search button or look in forums or ask, sometimes other people, esp. Butterflynet have great memories and can find anything.
As for Discussions and Questions and the difference... One of them has the red ribbon, the other doesn't.
Tags are linked from your profile page.
Again, you are WAAAAAY over thinking this. Relax.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you But for that link, it’s very comprehensive

Incidentally it mentions email notification link but I’ve been advised by other participants that it has been decommissioned or is out of order so I wonder if you could comment
dalehileman

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:56 pm
@Ceili,
Hi Ceili good to hear from you once again

Quote:
I'm having a hard time understanding why any of this matters. Why do you care? Is it for your own filing purposes or are you considering the audience??
As an erstwhile writer and inventor it’s just my nature to want to improve things but I’m misinterpreted as an iconoclast

Quote:
Tags do two things.
The help you organize……. I don't care if anyone searches for the thread……. It's their choice.
Yes I fully comprehend

Quote:
Forums are general catchalls. If you want to align your topics to a forum, GREAT. Awesome. If you don't, c'est la vie.
Yes I understand that but I’m curious in which if any forum my thread appears ifs I don’t select one. Of course I realize it will be cited in New Posts

Quote:
If you write a thread on cooking, sure put tag it as a cooking thread……..if you want it to be. I hardly tag anything.
Me neither

Quote:
As for Discussions and Questions and the difference... One of them has the red ribbon, the other doesn’t.
That’s what I had assumed. Are they also cited in New posts

Quote:
Again, you are WAAAAAY over thinking this. Relax.
It’s a terrible habit but I’m hopelessly addicted. I love you and wish we had met when I was younger and that you had been born earlier, and somehow in my bailiwick

But doesn’t bother you that you can’t scroll in the edit box

I can hardly believe I’m the only participant to notice that particular glitch, very annoying
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 04:53 pm
@dalehileman,
The other participants are correct.

I will be removing it from the tutorial the next time there is a major change in A2K to warrant all the work that goes into it.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 04:55 pm
Dale,

Which brand of internet browser are you using and which version of it?

Also, which operating system are you using?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 05:26 pm
@dalehileman,
You might also like to click on the tagging forum - I gave you the means to do that already.

You don't seem to listen to our answers to your questions.

Since you don't, I'll just give you the link for some thirty threads on tagging -
http://able2know.org/forum/tagging/

You're an aggravating poster, dale. You don't listen, you don't seem to explore, and you tend to blame others for your not getting stuff. We try to help, since many of us have been perplexed somewhat sometime on dealing with the internet, but you make it hard.. as you don't listen and tend to blame.

When you create tags at the time you start a question or a discussion, you put commas between the tag subjects. This instruction is right there in the place where you are starting the question or discussion. Instead of complaining, please read the form.

Could you keep these sort of questions to one thread and not start new ones? It makes it hard for the rest of us to refer to any comment made earlier.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
I will be removing it from the tutorial
Sorry But but removing what
dalehileman

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Which brand of internet browser are you using and which version of it?
Sorry But don’t have the foggiest idea
Quote:
Also, which operating system are you using?
Does Macintosh sound right
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 07:14 pm
@dalehileman,
Are you using Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari or something else?

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 07:16 pm
@dalehileman,
If you click on the blue link in the upper left corner of the post where it says @butrflynet) you are confused about, you'll see that it is in response to a question you asked me about some of the content in the tutorial.

Those blue links in the post take you directly to the post that is being responded to.

This was demonstrated in the tutorial. Click here to read it again. It starts with the title "Anatomy of a topic thread."

http://able2know.org/topic/152761-1#post-4167400
ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 07:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
I think, with others who have tried to clue me in, that we have a pest.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 07:38 am
@Butrflynet,
Safari
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 07:41 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Those blue links in the post take you directly to the post that is being responded to.
Thanks But for that tip, I’ll remember it next time
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 07:44 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I think, with others who have tried to clue me in, that we have a pest.
Oss if that’s an insult and if it’s directed at me I apologize most profusely, I only mean to b e helpful. However I won’t be the least offended if the participant who is troubled or perplexed by my postings simply don’t read them

0 Replies