The special relationship

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 07:02 pm
Firstly i must applogise if the content of this forum has been proferred before.As you may or not maybe aware the government in the UK has been pushed into a inquiry into the intelligence gathered before the second Gulf war .This seems to come directly after George Bush'announcement of simmilar enquiries in the US .My question is(and does not assume agreement or otherwise)is there or has there ever been an unwritten policy of support from the US to the Uk in matters of world stability,peace and safety.This is implies that the reciprical applies.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 472 • Replies: 1
No top replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:15 pm
I can't offer a authoritative answer to this question, and I doubt that anyone who could would speak about it. However the very close collaboration between the UK and the USA that began in the dark days at the start of WWII continued throughout the war and through most of the Cold War.

From the perspective of the U.S. military, no other nation was as closely connected to our weapons development and strategic operations. We shared information on the design of nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles, highly classified reconnaissance operations, and the movements of our submarines that we shared with no other nation, or NATO for that matter. There were certainly elements of such close cooperation with other nations, for example Norway and Turkey, in the conduct of surveillance operations over the Soviet Union, but none were so broad and systematic as those with the UK.

We routinely exchanged officers on ships and squadrons. In the mid '70s I checked out in Buccaneers in 812 squadron on the old Arc Royal (the real carrier, the one with catapults), and served in US Navy squadrons with Royal Navy officers,

There were certainly moments of real friction and disagreement - Suez and Vietnam are the most prominent - however apart from them there was, as far as I could tell a very close and enduring relationship that went well beyond our formal alliances.
0 Replies