Boobs In The News

Ethel2

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:58 pm
Really............Ann Coulter is pathetic. Why bother with her opinion?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:01 pm
Hmmm - depends on how many people listen t her, I guess, Lola. How powerful an opinion former is she? or - does she simply preach to her own converted - as so many political commentators do?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:07 pm
I, for one, do NOT believe the stories of Ann Coulter having sex with farm animals. Nor that her law degree was issued by the Los Angeles Upstairs University.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:17 pm
deb

I'm afraid that this lady is quite high-profile, with a number of books (same style as the column quoted above, or my parody of her) that have gained high sales, and she's on talk-TV fairly often. Many on the right (eg Tucker Carlson and David Brooks) despise Coulter, but she has a significant following among people who are not terribly bright nor very well educated.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:21 pm
Deb, I think she preaches to her choir, don't you? They probably enjoy her attempts at humor. But I don't think she provides any backbone to her cause. She's just too lame. And the farm animals issue is to be considered as well.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:35 pm
Quote:
She's the female Al Franken.

brand

That's a modern commonplace, but it isn't an apt analogy. Read Franken's two chapters on Coulter (from "Lies...") and then read Coulter again (for balance, if you wish, she'll have written on Franken I'm sure). Quite aside from her style (logical fallacies abound), her annotations, if she even bothers to make them, are sloppy and careless...the epitomy of high screed and no scholarship.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 11:14 pm
kjvtrue wrote:
Most of America was outraged by the half-time show produced by MTV and broadcast by CBS. (Both CBS and MTV are owned by the same parent company.) Some are turning to the government and demanding action by the FCC. Others are taking immediate action. Did you know that your cable company MUST remove MTV from your cable service if you demand they do? Many cable companies tell customers that MTV is part of basic service, but they are required to put a trap on your line and block it. MORE IMPORTANT. Every time just one home has MTV blocked that company receives thousands of dollars less in advertising revenue each year. If you have MTV on cable or satellite, call and stop this sewer line of sex and profanity from running into your home. Meanwhile Congressman Fred Upton (R-MI) of the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee has introduced the Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act (HR 3717) that would increase fines for indecency on broadcast programs such as the Super Bowl from $27,500 per violation to $300,000 per violation.

Enhanced readability version.

Which is still much ado about nothing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 11:17 pm
Oh - her books are even here - goddammit - but, who is Al Franken?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 01:32 am
Quick pic. Our Annie, before putting on her lippy and eyeshadow.....

and wig......

removing the Borg implants........

http://mario.lapam.org/voy/gifs/7of9-03_s.jpg
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 05:17 am
But she can still get a hot date with our own Slappy!!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 09:15 am
Al Franken is a Saturday Night Live person who now writes very funny political satire. He wrote Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot and his latest is Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them (or something like that) I loaned my copy to a friend. Al Franken is funny. But Ann Coulter is merely insipid.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 09:17 am
not only is Al Franken funny he researches his fact unlike Ann Coulter and her ilk.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 09:40 am
Here you go, kjvtrue........here's the Feb. 6 Washington Update from the Family Research Council. Tony Perkins is now the director of this political interest group of Evangelical Fundamentalists.........this is his version of the Janet Jackson titty episode.

Quote:
House Bill Calls for Increased FCC Fines

The fallout from Sunday's Super Bowl halftime show continues. Janet Jackson's stunt, in which she bared her right breast before 89 million viewers, caused such outrage that FCC hearings have been scheduled for February 11. Jackson, who was scheduled to be a presenter at this Sunday's Grammy Awards, is reportedly no longer a part of the program, while CBS has hurriedly enacted a 5-minute delay system for the broadcast in hopes of preventing any future shocking stunts.

If CBS is held liable, they could be faced with fines of up to $27,500 or, if applied to each CBS station, the fines could run in the millions. Of course, this is little more than a slap on the wrist. But there is a bill currently in the House (H.R. 3717) called the Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act of 2004, which calls for a 10-fold increase of fines from $27,500 to $275,000 per violation or each day of a continuing violation. Sponsored by Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI), the bill is a direct result of FCC Chairman Michael Powell asking Congress to increase the statutory maximums, a request he made long before the Super Bowl.

FRC supports this legislation, but we think it could go even further. In fact, I believe that fines for a program should be double the average cost of commercial time. So, for a commercial spot during the Super Bowl that costs $2.5 million, the fine should be $5 million, with no limit on the total amount of a fine for a program. Such a fine would truly serve as a deterrent and bring much-needed decency back to the airwaves.

This exemplifies even better than the Ann Coulter piece how dependent the fundamentalists are on the concept of crime and punishment. They have little respect for autonomous expression. You can imagine how they handle their toddlers and teen agers, thus producing kids who are either terribly inhibited about their bodies, sexuality and honest spontaneity of expression, or who rebel and behave in dangerous (or as in Janet Jackson's case, ludicrous) destructive behavior.

Over dependence on external controls, rules, laws, etc....rarely result in the desired effect of a thinking, productive member of society.
0 Replies