The nature of time

Fido

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 01:18 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
Time is life, so be very warry of anyone who wants to trade your life for pennies...
Well put Fido

Incidentally yes it’s a typo but your observation holds also for anyone with the warry reaction
Thanks for the correction...
0 Replies

north

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 02:28 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Quote:
I can't stretch my imagination far enough to conceive a stilling of time*…….that does mean it can't happen, only that I cannot conceive of it, i.e., a motionless reality.
Agreed JL. As to its stopping with the stilling of motion: Suppose everything had stopped except one small particle, which nonetheless is slowing down: At what point in its slowing would we say time had stopped The impossibility of stilling notwithstanding, time would continue, I’m sure

NO time would not still continue

in stilling the Universe NOW was to demonstrate that time is the measure of movement by objects
dalehileman

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 08:42 am
@north,
Quote:
NO time would not still continue
I understand you position North and can’t refute it, mine’s only intuitive

It’s just hard to feature somehow with the braking of that last particle when it has slowed to 10^-26695 mph that when it finally then comes to a halt suddenly time also stops everywhere else in the Universe

Geo help me
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 09:21 am
Lets put it in layman´s terms shall we...
There´s a huge difference between things appearing n disparaging and non existence or non being...granted after some thought one comes to fully realize what does that mean which already requires a functioning brain, one ends up looking at time as a great real illusion very much like it happens with a film frame sequence...
Time is the result of perception regarding the phenomenology of what appears n disappears not of Existence or from Being (which is unbreakable) but simply from the here n now...
Now ?...now some of you sleep on that if u can ! Cool
Fido

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 09:41 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Lets put it in layman´s terms shall we...
There´s a huge difference between things appearing n disparaging and non existence or non being...granted after some thought one comes to fully realize what does that mean which already requires a functioning brain, one ends up looking at time as a great real illusion very much like it happens with a film frame sequence...
Time is the result of perception regarding the phenomenology of what appears n disappears not of Existence or from Being (which is unbreakable) but simply from the here n now...
Now ?...now some of you sleep on that if u can ! Cool
As Nixon used to say: Let me make this chrystal clear... Hand me the glass wax...
Do they still make glass wax???
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 09:43 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Now ?...now some of you sleep on that if u can !
Fil you seem to be emphasizing the subjective aspects of time. True the perception of its rate depends upon to brain size as I’ve speculated but the substantial nature of Einsteinian relativity—moving clock running slower, time-at-a-distance, etc very strongly endorses its objectivity

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 10:26 am
@dalehileman,
does it ? And how does it do it without previously having an idea of what time is ? U see u need a starting definition there...
U know the difference between a model that works because it addresses reality sufficiently and dealing with any of its specific variables in a more profound manner... Space/Time matter n Energy might well be the product of a fixed n frozen interaction of mathematical functions well established onto itself and Eternal as Existent against non existent or not possible...
I would advise u to read my previous post again because it is certainly not about brains although u might need one..."brains" is yet another function in the system...I see it much more as about maths on which brains n perception are just another type of function going on around...Time n Space may well be nothing else then a functional axis of information protocols on sets n master sets relational status...zeros n ones inside routes of zeros n ones...for all that I know one dimension suffices for that purpose...
dalehileman

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 10:39 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
does it ?
Yes

Quote:
And how does it do it without previously having an idea of what time is ?
Subjectively, intuitively

Quote:
U see u need a starting definition there...
If you mean a definition of “time” then

http://onelook.com/?w=time&ls=a

Quote:
U know the difference……...fixed n frozen interaction of mathematical functions well established onto itself and Eternal as Existent against non existent or not possible…
Sorry Fil but you’re ‘way ahead of me. I was merely suggesting that time was independent of the way we think about it and that things would proceed pretty much the way they did if we were all killed after an especially dirty nuke

Quote:
I would advise u to read my previous post again because it is certainly not about brains..."brains" is yet another function in the system…
Of corse, but your post seems to emphasize the subjective aspect of time and I was responding that yes, it is subjective in the nature of its relativity as related to brain size

Quote:
………. nothing else that axis of information protocols...
Sorry Fil but there seems to be a typo of some sort
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 10:45 am
@dalehileman,
Is there anything substantial at all in your reply ? this is a philosophy thread the purpose being on keeping questioning what is given as fact in other sciences...and theoretical physics is in deep need of it...but mind u that several sectors in theoretical physics are the ones coming up recently with this sort of ideas is not even big news any more...I just happen to look at some of these proposals as elegant and interesting or close to my own conclusions...I am not portraying any matters of fact here, but just making a case on how awkward some of these concepts might end up looking on close inspection...
dalehileman

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 10:56 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Is there anything substantial at all in your reply ?
Forgive me if it was a tad digressive

Otherwise thank you Fil, I agree most wholeheartedly although intuition itself is one of those very parcels, a subconscious rumination with often startlingly provocative inferences

Quote:
...and theoretical physics is in deep need of it...
I couldn’t agree more totally but I’d include intuition as part of the philosophical aspect while mine if not yours insists on time's objectivity and reality

..though as in many cases of this sort our differences may be 99 percent semantic as in the case of free will v determinism
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:08 am
@dalehileman,
indeed...and I would certainly agree that there´s something on the work that gives Time/Space the behaviour we see...the question being if we can brake it down further into any more substantial form or not...
dalehileman

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:12 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
if we can brake it down further into any more substantial form or not...
Thanks Fil, and that was a very clever play on words, with reference to my suggestion about the slowing of that last particle
0 Replies

Violentos

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:26 am
@dalehileman,
One of my favorite quotes from ancient Roman poet Ovid is "Time, the devourer of all things.". To me, that is the true nature of time.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 11:39 am
@Violentos,
...yes the 2 law of thermodynamics...in the here n now on all the here´s n now´s, from the less to the more complex, ends up being a good way of describing the experience of time passing by...
Diversity is a field of N potential complexity unfolding into existence !...Curiously whatever happens must be possible in the first place and that´s what makes me suspicious of the intrinsic value of Time as something on its own right...
dalehileman

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 12:12 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Yes Phil thanks, there is something mysterious about time since it is so essential as an underlying concept. However intuition seems to insist upon its independence. The cockroach of course has a somewhat diminished sense of time but because nothing is entirely anything while everything is part of something else, one might infer that quality to a germ, then finally to an atom where one must ask oneself with so little consciousness to perfuse the subject how its death stops time. Presume it’s when the electrons stop orbiting

If so we must assume the stoppage radiates from its nucleus it at speed c in which case we must now ask whether the Universe is infinite, in which case of course time never stops

In posts of this sort I reflect oh God, Lord, how can you give me only 10 mi nutes but I suppose you should welcome the limitation else my posts would b ecome too long and tedious

But incidentally re the edit box I note again how I wish you’d let me scroll but whilst typing this very post I note another glitch” At the right margin you cut a word in two. You shouldn’t do that, this is the very first instance in some 17 years I’ve noted forum software to do such a thing, setting me to wondeer each time whether that interloping space was mine or yours

But let me not pursue these facets of software, I mean no harm, I love you all, and I find ak. Oops what was that beep

…I find a?k (or is it “a2K” or “aqk”)

Edited to add, Ah thank you for the blue scroll bar but I’m not sure just what I did to deserve it. Some time you must look into that if you have a moment. I think it has something to do with the number of lines in the post, you don’t get it unless you‘ve typed 14 lines or some such arbitrary rule

Hey! When you gave me the scroll bar, you also let me scroll! Thank you!!! though some of the words are still cut in half

As I was saying I find a?k a very superior sort of forum except for some minor drawbacks, a few of which I have brought to your attention supposing of course that later there will be a few more though if I shouldn’t please let me know and I will cease my efforts at making the world a better sort of place, easier to navigate

Again thanks all, I dearly love you especially Ceili
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 12:28 pm
@dalehileman,
Death stops time to a given observer and conceiver of time...it stops his time but not Time...now whatever Time truly is if information is always conserved in this Universe Time does not stop...Time may at best take some time off ( Laughing ) till it emerges again some trillion trillion trillion whatever more years later...
What stops time from being time is understanding what underlies in its beingness...what is it that is not time that makes up the effect of time ?...
...if it just so happens that something as time does exist I see its passing as irrelevant...it wont bring anything from non possible or non being to possibility that much is sure...and whatever is the case to be possible in whatever field of potential no matter how improbable, if possible it already exists somehow, as it always will be, that which was once possible to exist !...

...but there is more n if infinity's are really the case, then we all end up repeating, as information that is, always was, n will be, possible to assemble in X, Y, way, n such that we will eventually be assembled time n again...so I guess that we all live forever we just don´t have the privilege (?) of memory...
dalehileman

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 12:38 pm
@dalehileman,
Oops I meant Geo and Ceili but you cut me off in the middle of a sentence. Please, please, isn’t there some way you could leave it at 10 minutes for everybody else but extend mine to indefinitely or even a few weeks, or for God sake, at very least 3 hrs

Thanks once again for your patience and kind attention to my ramblings….

But if for some reason I m violating a Rule, Admin, please feel free to ban me as with frdb. Maybe I can mend my ways. With FRDB however I was banned forever so if you feel you must, please give me a year or two to become a better person, then maybe I can sign up once more
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 12:40 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
mi nutes
That time however it was presumably me not you with the spurious space

Quote:
b ecome too long and tedious
that one, I’m sure it was yours not mine
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 12:50 pm
@dalehileman,
I get u alright... Wink
if u dont like "cuts" give me another "tool" to work with...because as far as speech and communication can be assembled, temporal references, and verbs n such, are the tools we have to express whatever we know or believe to be true...undoing time or reverse engineering it is a mind exercise that we ought to think about obviously all within Time...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2012 12:53 pm
@dalehileman,
But let me pose you a more significant question if I may...
What is it that moves Time along ? Time ? that would be a circular argument...and then if not...how can infinity´s be conceivable at all...

...now we come to truly understand what a Loop is...