AP STATISTICS HW HELP

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 06:05 pm
I attached what the project is.
I know how to do most of them pretty much, except for question 5 i just dont know where to start, so if anyone could even point me in the right direction on that one i would be very greatful!!
if you feel like being even more generous, you can do the other ones too (no need to show work, simply to compare my answers)
http://i40.tinypic.com/dpgyrk.jpg <--the link of the assignment

I'm not trying to cheat or something i did all of them besides #5 myself. please just help me out!

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 07:49 pm
@anthonyg28,
To get started on #5 you need to combine the results from the B sections so that you end up with two proportions A and B. Combining the B successes and attempts gives you 104/179. Now calculate the proportion of successes for both A and B.

A = 167/279 = 0.5986 with a 95% binomial confidence interval of 0.5385-0.6566

B= 104/179 = 0.5810 with a 95% binomial confidence interval of 0.5051-0.6542

Depending on how your teacher has directed you to do hypothesis testing of binomial proportions you can look at the CIs to see if they're overlapping, or you can perform an analysis of two proportions based on the formulas you've been given. Confidence intervals that do not overlap are significantly different at a given alpha level. Be careful, though, intervals that overlap can still be significantly different. Do you have a formula for comparing two proportions?
anthonyg28

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:34 pm
@JPB,
well we dont really have formulas, we use functions of the ti-84 calculators like 2-sample intervals or 2-sample z-tests etc. etc.
also i have no idea if i did #1 right or not and have no way of checking. would you mind doing that out yourself and seeing what you come up with too?

thanksSOmuch
JPB

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:50 pm
@anthonyg28,
Sample size calculations can be pretty complicated. If you google "sample size margin of error TI84" then you'll see a word doc that you can download that will run you through an example. I'm not at all familiar with the TI84. It was the second google hit titled "Activity Overview"
0 Replies