Where did I go wrong reciting my selling points at work?

Angel23

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 01:24 am
K so like, I give out samples at Sam's club and we have to get customers to buy what they tried. However the greater emphasis is on greeting the customers, telling about the product, and encouraging the customers to buy. Basically, reciting selling points is the key, even if they don't end up buying. I started out completely freaked out approaching ppl. Then I kinda engaged them more, although I let some customers pass by. Now I can actually lure them to my cart and I don't let anyone slip by ungreeted. Well, maybe 9 or 10 out of 100+.

What really pisses me off is that despite my improvement, I failed my audit reciting my selling point. I gave it my best shot and everything. We get audited daily, so idk y I sucked yesterday. Was it bc I asked customers to try a product instead of telling them to? This is what happens after I nearly got chewed out for letting customers slip by? I just need to know.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,683 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 01:52 am
@Angel23,
I don't have your answer, but I do know that large retailers do have their little check points, and you need a check in every box. It probably works out with millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of employees, but it sure doesn't allow for a top notch demonstrator that doesn't follow the script. You are probably doing a fine job, but you will have to get 'on script' if you plan to stay with Sam's.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 07:46 am
If you flunked a "test," then you know what you did wrong.

You sound like you are in the dark about what is being asked of you to do.

Your supervisor should have told you what to correct.

PS - I find that a big smile and friendliness is the main key. People will flock to anything free, so all you have to do is offer what you have. Once they grab the item, then you can start your "script" of info you need them to know.

Angel23

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 08:16 am
@PUNKEY,
I had no problem being friendly and positive. The girl who audited me said I'm supposed to tell customers to come try, not ask them to. I didn't know that would do me in though. Btw, I actually had a few customers buy my product that woulda passed by if I hadn't lured them to my cart.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 11:16 am
If you ASK people, they can say No. (Do you want to taste this piece of cake?")

If you DIRECT people, they may follow your directions. ('Try this taste of chocolate cake imported from France. I know you'll like it.")

Angel23

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 12:14 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thank you. My supervisor said the exact same thing. Now it's all about getting past the mental block Smile
0 Replies