I dont get it

SqUeAkz

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 04:35 pm
If a parent gives their child not enough freedom, they are most likely to rebel, get angry, or it may damage there self-esteem. If a parent doesn't want there child to no cuss words, it'll damage their self-esteem when there get mad fun of in school, and they'll prob. hear it anyway in school. So what is the big deal about cuss words, and sex? If you teach your child to talk to you, maybe you can REALLY know them. ThoughtS?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,420 • Replies: 17
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 04:50 pm
All kids rebel, it's a part of growing up. The smart parent knows when not to raise a stink and when to grant the freedom.

The problem, IMO, is that there is a time and a place for everything. Many parents either try to hang on to long or just give up entirely to early.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 01:18 pm
Not all children rebel. The problem is that most parents try to make their children like them instead of allowing them to grow up to be who they are. If parents would stop trying to make their children conform to who they, as parents, are then most problems would dissipate.

Cussing is rude. It isn't right for anyone to do it. It is degrading to society. I am not saying that I have never cussed, because everyone gets mad and you hear those words and they come out with anger, but they are not right for children to use. I think kids who cuss don't have good enough parents.

The kids who cuss may want to disagree but if their parents let them get away with that then they are most likely to let them get away with a lot more. Parents know if their kids cuss. I am talking about the big cussers, every other word. They can't get through a conversation without letting one drop.

Freedom is a earned thing when you are a child. You earn freedom. But when you lie then freedom is restricted. Children are not free. They don't deserve to be free. They are learning until they leave the house. And even when they are 22 and still in the house they are still learning and therefore are not free. You want to be totaly free move out. But as long as you live with them you are not free. I mean they will give you lean here and there but freedom is something that is granted to those who move out not graduate or age.

Parents have to guide their children on the right path. Parents aren't to mold their children, that is what is frustrating. Parents try to mold them into their image and it makes a rebellious attitude come forth. Parents are to keep their children in order of guidelines that alow the child to grow into their own without hindering them or making them into something they will never be.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 09:21 am
BlueMonkey wrote:
Not all children rebel.

Find me one single person that never did something they weren't supposed to do and followed every single instruction their parents gave them and I'll buy the line that not all kids rebel.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 11:18 am
You just met one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 11:30 am
You've cussed. You think it's wrong. Bet your parents told you it was wrong. Yet you did it...
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 11:38 am
That's classified as disobeying.

Rebelling is more like on Everwood with Amy. She is going out with this guy that her parents do not like and since they do not like him she ran away to her grandparents. That is rebelling.

There is disobeying the there is the extreme which is rebelling.

You speed doesn't mean you are rebelling against the government. But America fighting for independence is rebelling.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 11:48 am
You're just using a different concept for what rebelling is. When talking about human development "rebelling" is just anything where the child tries to assert their independence and can mean pretty much anything including refusing to eat your brussel sprouts.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:05 pm
When you think of a rebellious child does "not eating their peas" come to mind? I think of a lot worse.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 12:35 pm
Of course there is worse. But fishin's premise, which you rejected, is that all children rebel as part of growing up. There are small rebellions ("I will NOT eat these peas, no way, no how") and there are large rebellions (running away to grandma's), but those are all rebellions.

I very much agree with fishin' that how those inevitable rebellions are handled is what is important. IMO, if the "won't eat peas!!" stage is handled badly, that makes the running away to grandma's stage more likely.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 02:16 pm
I understand about the "idea" of rebelling on this forum. I know. I just do not agree that everything a child does, against their parents will, is rebelling. That word is too big for the not liking peas. It is like saying someone is a murder because they killed a mosquito. Don't get realistic on me and say, well technically they would be, the fact is you don't go running around saying, "Your a murder" when that is done--none jokingly.

Plus it all depends on the child and how they are on whether or not they will act up in a tremendous storm of evil.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 04:30 pm
Coupla definitions for you:

Quote:
re·bel ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-bl)
intr.v. re·belled, re·bel·ling, re·bels
To refuse allegiance to and oppose by force an established government or ruling authority.
To resist or defy an authority or a generally accepted convention.
To feel or express strong unwillingness or repugnance: She rebelled at the unwelcome suggestion.

Quote:
mur·der ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mûrdr)
n.
The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.
Slang. Something that is very uncomfortable, difficult, or hazardous: The rush hour traffic is murder.
A flock of crows. See Synonyms at flock1.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:03 am
Thanks. I know what they mean. My point was missed. But I know everyone else's point.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:49 am
No, you evidently don't know what they mean. Refusing to eat peas is rebellion ("To resist or defy an authority or a generally accepted convention", authority being the parent saying, "eat your peas, now!!") and killing a mosquito is not murder ("The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.")

Fishin' said all children rebel.

You said no, not all of them. They may disobey, but they do not rebel.

Fishin' and I have been saying that the definition of "rebel" in the dictionary OR colloquial sense is not as "big" as you seem to think it is. That is fairly easily settled -- look in the dictionary. Et voila.

What is your point, beyond that?
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:14 am
I looked up the words before your sarcastic tirade with quoting them.

And the murder thing was to show how retarded it is to use "rebel" when talking about not eating peas.

My point is - in conversation with a friend do you say, "Oh Sally rebelled last night"? If you heard that does "not eating peas" come to mind? That is the point. The point is people do not use that word the way it is said in the dictionary or on this forum. I have never heard it used with the less degree of not eating peas or anything within that margin. I have heard it used for the extreme and nothing else. That is the point.

It is good you know how to read a dictionary but the fact is everyone doesn't go around and use the word that way. Rebel is used for sever things not menial things like not eating peas or not doing the dishes or jumping on the bed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:20 am
Blue Monkey - do you talk to a lot of parents of small children? Cuz I do - and rebel and rebellious are words I hear a lot - about peas, and brussel sprouts, and not going right to bed, and pooping behind the door, and slapping grandma, and not drinking their milk. I had a conversation today with a friend who used that very word about her 20 month-old - that S., she's such a rebel.

so, back to the first post :
Quote:
If a parent doesn't want there child to no cuss words, it'll damage their self-esteem when there get mad fun of in school,
. I'm not 100% clear, was squeakz saying that children who don't swear in school will be made fun of, and their self-esteem will be damaged?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:32 am
Whether people use it in the manner you prefer on the forum or how you use the term with your friends means zip. The question here was framed in terms of human development - specifically child development and the term has a much more generalized and commonly used meaning in that realm.

Do a Google search on "Child Development Rebellion" and you'll get thousands of pages that discuss that very concept and they all include lesser events in the usage.

In studying human development ANY challange to authority is considered rebellion. That was the context of my original statement which you chose to attempt to refute.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 12:34 pm
I do have conversations with many parents and never have I heard rebel used.

I have going by my exerpirnce, fishin', so I have never hear it used that way no matter what the dictionary says. And when I say never I do mean never.
0 Replies