Reality from the view point of theists

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 01:17 pm
By the way, the only thing that makes this a "philosophy" thread is a tag to that effect. The first three tags that i see are science, religion and education. I guess Fresco gave those three a pass due to unfamiliarity.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 02:38 pm
@Setanta,
I too wanted to complain about the corruption of the philosophy forum. BTW, Set, this is clearly a philosophy thread with its treatment of the nature of Reality.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 02:56 pm
@fresco,
Fresco, you say that the word "absolute" is theistic. I think that belief in a God was designed to provide a devine foundation for notions of absolute truths, rules, authority, etc.. Nietzsche's proclamation of the death of God was primarily a sociological thesis on the decline of absolutism, principally the decline of ecclesisatical authority. I hope Setanta will have something to say here.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 02:56 pm
@fresco,
Fresco, you say that the word "absolute" is theistic. I think that belief in a God was designed to provide a devine foundation for notions of absolute truths, rules, authority, etc.. Nietzsche's proclamation of the death of God was primarily a sociological thesis on the decline of absolutism, principally the decline of ecclesisatical authority. I hope Setanta will have something to say here.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 02:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, I'll comment on this post as soon as my brain fog lifts. It deserves more than what jumps to mind at present.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 04:21 pm
@JLNobody,
I concur with the Nietzsche position you have described. In "embodied cognition theory" as described by Varela, he allows for the inclusion of sociological components in his concept of "enaction" i.e.bringing forth reality by a "body"
0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 04:47 pm

the thing is guys , how many of you investigated our Ancient History

its important , really it is
izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 04:49 pm
@north,
I think everyone's got the point you're trying to make. Are you going to expand on it at all?
north

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 04:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I think everyone's got the point you're trying to make.
if everyone gets my point why is nobody discussing , my point ?
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:06 pm
@north,
History is a very helpful subject when considering reality.
north

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:16 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
History is a very helpful subject when considering reality.

of course especially when talking about and discussing god ( mono ) and gods

in Ancient times going back at least 6000yrs ago and further back gives us all what was really going on , as far as gods and their place in our history are concerned

it is fascinating to honest , the bible is just the tip of the iceburg so to speak
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:35 pm
@north,
North...why is it important to the subject actually being discussed?

The topic has evolved from the topic title...to a discussion about whether or not there is an objective reality.

How does knowing what the ancients thought possibly impact significantly on that?

Mind you...if you give a reason that makes sense, I will discuss it with you. But it seems to be a blind alley.
north

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
North...why is it important to the subject actually being discussed?

because theists are thinking from a mono-god point of view which is simplistic

Quote:
The topic has evolved from the topic title...to a discussion about whether or not there is an objective reality.

start another thread

this is about reality from a theist point of view , which is valid to a certain extent

Quote:
How does knowing what the ancients thought possibly impact significantly on that?

its not what the Ancients " thought " its what happened

Quote:
Mind you...if you give a reason that makes sense, I will discuss it with you. But it seems to be a blind alley.

because you don't KNOW
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:48 pm
@north,
Quote:
the bible is just the tip of the iceburg so to speak

This may be reality to you and me but some people will never be able to see it.

If what I am about to share with you was true. " You have a diamond buried in your backyard the size of a refrigerator. "All you need to do is read the Koran from cover to cover, "after doing so you will know where and how deep to dig.
You would think that it was ridiculous and would not even consider investing the time in finding out.
Why? because it does not sound remotely possible to you.

I think that it is similar with religion and being closer to reality.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:55 pm
@north,
Quote:

Ahhh...thinking from a mono-god point of view is simplistic...as compared with what?

Quote:
start another thread

this is about reality from a theist point of view , which is valid to a certain extent

No need to start another thread. The author of this one has participated in full measure in the tangent. The tangent, by the way, actually does impact on the general theme. Your tangent doesn’t.

Quote:

What does that mean????

Quote:
because you don't KNOW

And what does that mean?
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
The tangent, by the way, actually does impact on the general theme. Your tangent doesn’t.

I do value all of what you say but I do think North has a point.

Personally I am not trying to put theist down but I do wonder, why they would rather believe in a reality, rather than understand all that they can and realizing that they could be wrong in much of what they understand.
north

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Quote:
Ahhh...thinking from a mono-god point of view is simplistic...as compared with what?
as I said before , were you reading ? there were actually multiple gods
Quote:
start another thread this is about reality from a theist point of view , which is valid to a certain extent
Quote:
No need to start another thread. The author of this one has participated in full measure in the tangent. The tangent, by the way, actually does impact on the general theme. Your tangent doesn’t.
Quote:
then the reality is there is more to reality of the thesits then they even know
Quote:
Quote:
What does that mean????
Quote:
exactally what " happened " means
Quote:
because you don't KNOW
Quote:
And what does that mean?
what of Ancient History do you know ?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:51 pm
@north,
Quote:
there were actually multiple gods

Multiple gods were worshiped. These days, for the major three Abrahamic religions, there is but one god worshiped.

To suggest because multiple gods were worshiped during ancient times means THERE WERE ACTUALLY MULTIPLE GODS...makes no sense. To suggest that because today one god is worshiped means that one god actually exists is also absurd.

In any case, North...what difference does it matter if there were multiple gods worshiped during ancient times? That is the part I do not understand. What is your point? Why does it matter that during ancient times...multiple gods were worshiped?

What does the number matter?

Quote:

I know quite a bit about ancient history. Why do you ask?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:54 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I do value all of what you say but I do think North has a point.

I hope North does have a point. I am trying to figure out what it is. It appears you may know what his point is, RL. If so, could you explain it to me.

Quote:
Personally I am not trying to put theist down but I do wonder, why they would rather believe in a reality, rather than understand all that they can and realizing that they could be wrong in much of what they understand.

Theists and atheists both do things I do not understand, but I have a good idea of why they do them--and I respect their right to do them, also.

But right now, I am simply trying to figure out what North is trying to say. If you can help me with that, I would appreciate it.

(Same thing goes for anyone else out there who thinks they understand North's point!)
north

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 07:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
there were actually multiple gods
Quote:
Multiple gods were worshiped.
not if you go back far enough , to Mesopotamia there was Enlil and Eniki
Quote:
These days, for the major three Abrahamic religions, there is but one god worshiped. To suggest because multiple gods were worshiped during ancient times means THERE WERE ACTUALLY MULTIPLE GODS...makes no sense.
look up the History of Abraham
Quote:
To suggest that because today one god is worshiped means that one god actually exists is also absurd.
Quote:
the the god is Enlil
Quote:
In any case, North...what difference does it matter if there were multiple gods worshiped during ancient times? That is the part I do not understand.
that the Anunnaki were the original gods
Quote:
What is your point?
that there is more to our Ancient History than we generally know
Quote:
Why does it matter that during ancient times...multiple gods were worshiped? What does the number matter?
Quote:
not that muliple gods were worshiped , were going deeper than Greek gods , but they existed
Quote:
I know of the Anunnaki , Mesopotamia , and some of Egypt
Quote:
I know quite a bit about ancient history. Why do you ask?
because if you do then you would know why I say what I say