Oklahoma Republican Representative Says “Blood Money” From Drug Industry Killed Anti-Meth Bill

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 11:24 am
Oklahoma Republican Representative Says “Blood Money” From Drug Industry Killed Anti-Meth Bill
Zaid Jilani - Republic Report

Republic Report earlier reported that the Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA), an industry group representing over the counter drug makers, spent a whopping $194,957.76 in Kentucky in January alone lobbying against stricter regulations on the sales of certain cold medicines that can be used to produce methamphetamine.

The CHPA is also lobbying heavily in Oklahoma, and scored a victory earlier this week when the House Public Health Committee there defeated a bill along a 7-6 vote that would’ve enacted regulations similar to the ones Kentucky legislators are proposing. Rep. Doug Cox (R), a supporter of the bill, blamed the defeat on “blood money” from Big Pharma:

“This is blood money for the pharmaceutical industry,” Rep. Doug Cox, R-Grove, told lawmakers before the vote was taken. After the vote, Cox, a physician, said he didn’t know how he would be able to look police officers, social workers or prosecutors in the eye and tell them that the Legislature works for the public good.

Unfortunately, the Oklahoma Ethics Commission has yet to release the 2012 lobbying numbers, so it is unclear how much CHPA spent on lobbying the legislature against the bill during the months of January and February. However, gift disclosures do show that Pfizer — the manufacturer of Sudafed, long a target of anti-meth legislation — spent $99.47 on August 25th, 2011 on dining Rep. Colby Schwartz (R), one of the bill’s opponents whose votes killed it in committee.

Republic Report asked Cox about the lobbying forces that battled the anti-meth legislation. “The pharmaceutical industry is the main force, the main money trying to defeat the bill,” said Cox. “What really discourages me is they are not transparent.” He explained that the industry lobbies “by disguise,” setting up websites and running radio advertisements without disclosing that it is behind them. Cox told us that he didn’t think the pharmaceutical industry taking Schwartz or any other legislator to dinner would’ve influenced them, but a “$500 campaign contribution would influence their vote.”

Indeed, in Schwartz’s last run for office, drugmaker Eli Lilly was a strong supporter of his campaign, giving him $1,500. Pfizer gave him $500, as did GlaxoSmithKline, Hoffman-Laroche, and Johnson & Johnson. But Schwartz may have a deeper connection to the pharmaceutical industry than meals with Pfizer or campaign contributions. He spent six years before joining the Oklahoma legislature working directly for the industry as a sales representative.

Democratic Rep. Ed Cannaday, who also voted no, received a $250 contribution from Washington D.C.-based Merck lobbyists. GlaxoSmithKline gave $300 and Merck gave $250 to bill opponent Democratic Rep. Al McAffrey (it was one of his last votes in the House, he was just elected to Senate). Republican “no” voter Rep. Andy Grau nabbed $250 from Merck as well. Bill opponent Rep. Ron Peters (R) nabbed $800 from pharmaceutical manufacturers. Republican David Derby and bill opponent got $1,000 from drug manufacturers in his last campaign.

Whatever influenced these members of the Oklahoma legislature to vote against this anti-meth bill, one thing is certain: they came from different ideologies and from different parts of the state, but they all had strong financial ties to the pharmaceutical industry.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 957 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 12:10 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I continue to have problems with the idea of great teams of druggies were swarming the drug stores scoring commercial sized lots of say Advil Cold & Sinus so it could somehow be cooked down into meth. I don't know the chemistry involved, or how many pounds of Advil C&S it takes to make a gram of meth, but I can't begin to believe the economics are there.

I once told a pharmacist I resented feeling like I were doing a drug deal because I didn't like spending all morning with a stuffy head. Know what she said? "Oh, no! You don't need a driver's license to do drug deals." She was right, of course.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 03:59 pm
Anyone have an idea how much cold medicine it takes to make a batch of meth?
roger

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 05:07 pm
@RABEL222,
I don't, but if you find out, let me know. I'm really curious, mostly because I have the feeling we're having to jump through these hoops based on someone's whim. Barring evidence, I will continue to believe any such production is too small to be of significance.

RABEL222

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 01:34 am
@roger,
I did some research and found that a hand full of pseudoephedrine , a two liter plastic bottle, and some common kitchen chemicals will make up a small batch of meth. Everything I read said that it is now a common practice for meth users to make their own.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 01:56 am
And I remember news reports that before the restrictions were passed, it was common to find drugstore shelves picked clean of cold remedies containing pseudephedrine, while everything else on the shelves was stil in plentiful supply.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 01:59 am
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 02:08 am
@MontereyJack,
Sounds like a good location for a security camera. If the stuff were being bought instead of stolen, I'm still wondering about the economics.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 02:11 am
I'd go with stolen. Consider its clientele and the effect it has on them. Ups the profit margin.
0 Replies