When you are sick, should you go to work or stay home?

sumac

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 12:24 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/08/business/yourmoney/08WCOL.html

Seeking Solace, Openly or Quietly, When Ill

I guess it depends upon more than a handful of factors. I remember being annoyed at people who insisted on coming to work when they had a bad cold or the flu. Irresponsible, I would mutter under my breath. Spewing forth germs all over the place. And why doesn't management at least act responsibly, and insist that their sick charges go home, for the good of the group?

Obviously, this is just a part of the picture. The article above highlights other considerations.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,261 • Replies: 7
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 12:27 pm
If a sick one be infectious or a physical danger to the one's self or to others the sick one ought to stay home. Otherwise it ought to be a matter of choice.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:06 pm
Obviously the best option is to stay home, to rest & recover. AND not spread the germs around!
But employees are under such pressure these days to keep working, not totake time off. An attitude that isn't "official", but there's a definite pressure to keep at it, no matter what.
I often feel quite guilty if forced to take time off, for whatever reason.

It's a shame that instead of taking the neceesary time to let our bodies heal, that people often medicate themselves to keep going. This could partly explain the over-use of antibiotics & other precsribed drugs.

Hey, we need a good union to be able to look after ourselves properly! Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:17 pm
I think that people should stay home when they are contagious, but that won't be a part of the way the American work-force handles it.

Another pet peeve is children going to daycare sick....

To be fair, you're contagious before you really know you're sick, so, it's a hard thing to control anyway.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:20 pm
oh! Just read the link.
I think I'd want to work as much as I could.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 03:27 pm
littlek

Yep, somehow it feels better than the guilt! Unless one is REALLY, seriously sick.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 10:48 am
...go to work when sick. sick days are best used when well and able to appreciate them...
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 11:21 am
I'm inclined to say stay at home when sick, but now I work in a really small restaurant... We're 2 in service an 2 in the kitchen, so when one us is ill, it hurts!

When I worked in a larger hotel, I had no problem with staying home, because noone would ever think of saying thank you for coming in sick, know what I mean?
0 Replies