Red light camera’s

jcboy

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 01:14 pm
I got a ticket in the mail today along with a photo of me sitting behind the wheel of my car. Apparently I made a right turn against a red light. Boy those red light camers sure take a close-up photo. Oh well, I’ll just pay the sucker and be done with it. Here you can make a right turn against a red light, unless of course a sign is posted, which I didn't see, son’s of bitches!

roger

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 01:17 pm
@jcboy,
My town decided they did nothing to increase safety, and declined to install them. Now, I believe they have been outlawed in the entire state of NM, though I still see advisory in Albuquerque.

I continue to believe they are entirely about revenue enhancement, and nothing about safety.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 01:17 pm
@jcboy,
I usually throw some mud on my tag, and wear a hat and fake beard if I am going to be where the cameras play.

level up the playing field a little...
jcboy

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 01:22 pm
@roger,
My friend in Ca got one and it cost her $480.00! Another friend of mine said he irngored his, he later paid it but they had tacked on an extra hundred bucks because it was late!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 01:26 pm
@Rockhead,
The photos’ were from every angle of the car! We don’t have front license plates in Florida but they had a photo of me sitting behind the wheel, a side profile photo and the read license plate. I’m considering a mud pack next time I go out Cool
contrex

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 01:36 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
I’m considering a mud pack next time I go out

Wouldn't it be easier to just obey the law? Only asking.

jcboy

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 01:43 pm
@contrex,
I always do, I just didn't see the sign Cool
Sloan

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 05:56 pm
@jcboy,
Better pay it, in Fl they will charge you for every day it's late.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 06:00 pm
@jcboy,
From what I've heard, your good looks will come through even the heaviest mud pack. Maybe a Newt Gingrich face mask would take care of it...might even cause the camera to short circuit.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 06:21 pm
I actively fought against them being installed in our village. Big brother sitting in NJ sending tickets to folks in a small town in IL bothered me. I lost the battle in that the village board voted 4-3 to approve the implementation, but it seems our potatoes are too small for the folks in NJ. The only intersection deemed "financially viable" was on the county line and the other county took jurisdiction and has yet to install any cameras there. The 4 who voted for it talked about safety, which is absolute bs. It's not about safety, it's about $$$.
roger

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 07:08 pm
@JPB,
"Financially viable" should tell us everything we ever wanted to know about red light cameras.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 01:57 am
They installed them here at the worst intersections and there was a noticable reduction in accidents. Most of the money taken in from the tickets were used to support the system and it wasn't a revenue source, then it backfired. Local law says all ticket fines go to the school system so the school system sued for all the revenue. The police said 80% was used to pay for the system but the courts said the law required the schools to get it all so the city had to pay the schools and eat the cost of the system. Of course it fell apart after that.
Krumple

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 02:11 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

I got a ticket in the mail today along with a photo of me sitting behind the wheel of my car. Apparently I made a right turn against a red light. Boy those red light camers sure take a close-up photo. Oh well, I’ll just pay the sucker and be done with it. Here you can make a right turn against a red light, unless of course a sign is posted, which I didn't see, son’s of bitches!

In the US the red light camera is actually against the laws of most states. I know the state that I am in, the law states that you are allowed to directly address your accuser. In other words if you are given a ticket (violation) then in court you should be allowed to address the ticking officer in a trial setting. However a red light camera you can not address and the government assumes people don't know the law and will just do what you do and pay the fine. This is why the cameras remain up because people just do what they wanted and pay their fines without hassling to go to court.

Law enforcement is no longer about serving the people, it is becoming a for profit industry. They no longer do anything unless there money to be made. Red light cameras have been shown to not reduce accidents yet the arguments for why they are there is for that reason. So if they don't in fact cause a reduction in accidents why are they there? It is because the argument is bogus and meant to cover up the real reason, profit. They know the human nature is to make mistakes and they want to capitalize on it. These things pump in tons of money for a non existent crime.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 02:33 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
I always do, I just didn't see the sign Cool
That happened to me too,
about 40 or 50 years ago. It was the first day that the sign was up,
against turning at the rong time of day, with police standing there.
Thay have since removed the sign and police.

David
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 06:38 am
@engineer,
And the taxpayers paid for the total cost of bringing and defending the law suit. It's not like these folks have an independent revenue stream to pay for law suits.
0 Replies

Wildhourses

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 07:08 am
A friend of mine is a letter carrier, he delivers them everyday.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 05:03 pm
The city of Cali in Colombia is installing them right and left. Supposedly you'll even get a ticket for stopping on the "zebra".
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 05:10 pm
Houston had the cameras, but they were voted out in an election. It took a bitter fight before they actually got uninstalled. Some places near Houston still have cameras. I am pretty sure there is one in Tomball, near the college, and possibly a couple more.
jcboy

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 06:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
I paid mine, now I’m waiting for the insurance increase from having it on my driving record.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 09:20 pm
@Pitter,
Pitter wrote:
The city of Cali in Colombia is installing them right and left.
Supposedly you'll even get a ticket for stopping on the "zebra".
Your grandchildren will become the Borg.
Its horrible and world wide.