temper = the pattern of thinking ?

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 05:40 am

Context:

From questions of this class spring all our constitutional controversies, and we divide upon them into majorities and minorities. If the minority will not acquiesce, the majority must, or the Government must cease. There is no other alternative, for continuing the Government is acquiescence on one side or the other. If a minority in such case will secede rather than acquiesce, they make a precedent which in turn will divide and ruin them, for a minority of their own will secede from them whenever a majority refuses to be controlled by such minority. For instance, why may not any portion of a new confederacy a year or two hence arbitrarily secede again, precisely as portions of the present Union now claim to secede from it? All who cherish disunion sentiments are now being educated to the exact temper of doing this.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=25818#axzz1n77MmIAs

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 748 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 06:03 am
I think 'temper' here means 'processed into a state of readiness or preparedness' - the word is used as a verb and noun in connection with manufacture of steel - the metal is tempered, or heat-treated, to make it tough. When the desired properties are attained, the steel has been brought to the right temper.

oristarA

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 06:42 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

I think 'temper' here means 'processed into a state of readiness or preparedness' - the word is used as a verb and noun in connection with manufacture of steel - the metal is tempered, or heat-treated, to make it tough. When the desired properties are attained, the steel has been brought to the right temper.

Thank you Contrex.

"the exact temper of doing this", doing what? doing disunion? doing secession?
Joe Nation
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 08:26 am
@oristarA,
Yes. Of disunion.

What they are learning is what the possible difficulties, problems, unintended consequences might come about because of that action.
"The Temper" refers to trying to determine what actions of disunion might bring about the best result.
(When you temper steel it is possible to make it too brittle or too soft, you have to figure out what the right amounts of heat and metal additives are to get the best resulting steel.

Joe(it's a good word, but you have to know from whence it came.)Nation
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 08:39 am
I think it means the same as "frame of mind"
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 09:24 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
"the exact temper of doing this", doing what? doing disunion? doing secession?

Yes

Quote:
For instance, why may not any portion of a new confederacy a year or two hence arbitrarily secede again, precisely as portions of the present Union now claim to secede from it? All who cherish disunion sentiments are now being educated to the exact temper of doing this.

0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 09:55 am
@oristarA,
This probably is an archaic use of the word and may not mean the same as modern usage.

The dictionary lists "mix" as an archaic definition which could be the intended use.
0 Replies