Give him a gun and send him to Iraq.

au1929

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:43 am
Michael Novak

February 02, 2004, 9:59 a.m.
Real numbers in Iraq.

The news media, which constantly accuse the Bush administration of exaggerating the threat in Iraq, are constantly exaggerating the number of U.S. combat deaths there. I first pointed this out last August. For a while, the exaggeration stopped, but early in January it recommenced. The round number "500" was apparently irresistible.
Yet as of January 15, exactly ten months after the war began on March 16, 2003, the official number of U.S. combat deaths listed by the Defense Department was 343. Another 155 had died from non-hostile causes, including 100 in accidents and others from illness. Since non-hostile causes are responsible for army deaths in peacetime as well as wartime, in bases at home as well as in war zones, many of the non-hostile deaths ought not to be counted as specific to Iraq, although, of course, a portion of them are.
These 343 (not 500) combat deaths, furthermore, need to be set in context. During 2003, the number of homicides in Chicago was 599, in New York City 596, in Los Angeles 505, in Detroit 361, in Philadelphia 347, in Baltimore 271, in Houston 276, and in Washington 247. That makes 3,002 murders in only eight cities.
The least the media could do is print the number of combat deaths in Iraq in two columns. The first would show the number of days since the war began (as of January 15, 305). The second column might show the number of combat deaths as of the same date (343).
Since January 15, the death toll has climbed in one of its upward spurts, as roadside bombings by more sophisticated agencies become more deadly. The countdown toward the turnover of the levers of government to Iraqi leaders is now less than 150 days away. We can expect the bitter despair of the Sunni diehards and the foreign jihadists to grow. They will try to stop history in its tracks. They will become ever more violent. They have been drawn like moths to bang against the brightness of our troops in the dark. Now, more than ever, we need a steady hand at the American helm. Now is not the time for recriminations and retreat.
The war in Iraq has been one of the noblest and brightest pages in American history. At enormous risk to ourselves, and at great cost, our troops have liberated an entire people from one of the most sadistic despots in history. In the near future, they will leave behind a far better infrastructure (better schools, hospitals and clinics, power grids, telephone systems, oil technology, television, etc.) than has heretofore existed in Iraq, a greater array of free media, and the first beginnings of a new form of republican government not before experienced on the ancient soil hallowed by Hammurabi. The fear Saddam struck in the hearts of his neighbors, and the instability he promoted in the region, will be no more.
Those who died in that cause have given an unforgettable gift to the Iraqi people, which will be remembered with gratitude for generations to come. Their extraordinary achievements have burnished the glory of our nation, and their fame will long outlive the early opposition of those compromised by their past dealings with Saddam. The rich rewards raked in from Saddam's network of international bribery are only now being revealed. The predictions of those who marched against the war — about massive streams of refugees, hunger, the unleashing of weapons of mass destruction, immense domestic destruction, huge uprisings in "the Arab street," etc. — have been proved false.
The international terrorist groups led by al Qaeda have now been deprived of their bases in Afghanistan, their potential source of chemical and biological agents in Iraq, their support from Libya, their unrestricted access to Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, and the reliability of their hitherto totally safe assistance from Iran and Syria. All this our honored dead have won for us. Their families deserve to glory in it for generations.
"Greater love no man hath," the Good Book tells us, "than that he lay down his life for his friends." This, too, they have done for their fellow citizens. They have saved the cause of liberty from the shame of appeasing terror. They have protected their homeland and countrymen.
One day it will be a great boast for their children: "My father fought in Iraqi Freedom. He altered the course of history." And so they will be remembered by grandchildren, so long as memory lives.

Anyone care to comment on this article?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 641 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 05:26 pm
It all depends on how you want to classify a death. These lads seem to be as dead as can be, they died in the defense of 'freedom', but according to Mr Novak they aren't the 'honored dead'. Do you think it would make a real difference to their families?

Quote:
DoD Identifies Army Casualties
The Department of Defense announced today the identity of three soldiers listed as Duty Status Whereabouts Unknown (DUSTWUN) who were supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. The soldiers under the operational control of the 101st Airborne Division were involved in two incidents in Mosul, on Sunday, Jan. 25. During a river patrol with local police, four soldiers fell into the Tigris River after their watercraft capsized. Two OH-58 Kiowa Warrior helicopters conducted a search, and one of the search helicopters crashed into the river.

Reported as DUSTWUN are:

Staff Sgt. Christopher Bunda, 29, of Washington State. On Jan. 25 Bunda's boat capsized during a river patrol on the Tigris River. He is assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry, Fort Lewis, Wash.

1st Lt. Adam G. Mooney, 28, of Cambridge, Maryland.

Chief Warrant Officer Patrick D. Dorff, 32, of Minnesota.

Mooney and Dorff's helicopter went down in the Tigris River during a search. They are assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 17th Cavalry, 10th Mountain Division, Fort Drum, N.Y.

These incidents are under investigation.
0 Replies

Smiley

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 08:19 pm
Are innocent civilians to be honored in their sacrifice as well,
or should we pick out only the tiny fraction of casualties (say 5-10%)
that are American, or from direct combat?

Shouldn't we look at the total cost someday?
Weren't *all* the dead sacrificed for the same cause?
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 08:30 pm
Right Wing Propaganda
This article and it's writer are DISGUSTING.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 09:09 pm
Shameful.

I would LOVE to see that writer read that article to the family of one of our dead soldiers, "accidental" or otherwise.

What an insulting article.

In any case, its real easy to talk that talk when he's not the one in uniform. Absolutely terrible.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 07:46 am
pistoff
My sentiments exactly. As I read this article I became more and more incensed The writer seemed to forget or ignore that hundreds and possibly thousands of our service people are returning from Iraq minus limbs or with grievous and disabling wounds. That aside to call it and I quote "The war in Iraq has been one of the noblest and brightest pages in American history" is ludicrous at best. The writer ends
the article with a flourish when he writes and I quote "They have protected their homeland and countrymen.
One day it will be a great boast for their children: "My father fought in Iraqi Freedom. He altered the course of history." And so they will be remembered by grandchildren, so long as memory lives.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 07:54 pm
I thought the article was satire. Was it not?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 07:11 am
hobitbob
I do not believe it was meant to be satire. It was something written by an apparent supporter of Bush.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 12:41 pm
Well that's just nauseating, then!
0 Replies