lakes

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 09:45 am
I will have to move from my house within the year. I must say that I will not miss Winchester at all. I have begun to feel that I have exhausted everything I want to see and do in Boston. Finding work remains a problem and I feel my 60th birthday, still four years off, looming.

I have looked at maps of New England, considering where to live. There are a few lakes in western Massachusetts and north western Connecticut that seem isolated. No roads go there.

Maybe it is my Michigan roots but the idea of living near fresh water has growing appeal.

Does anyone know anything about these lakes? Are they private . . . and pricey? Are they sort of, for lack of a better phrase, "Dog Patch"?

Since I have not succeeding in making a real living (I earned less than $7,000 during 2003) would I be able to continue in the life style to which I have become accustomed were I to move out to one of these little bodies of water?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,091 • Replies: 4
No top replies

lab rat

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 12:12 pm
The Litchfield, CT area is beautiful--a lot of well-kept historic homes/mansions as well as open space (horse ranches, farms). I believe it is also quite expensive, though. Plus it gets the worst of every winter storm that comes through the state. The Bantam Lake area has some more affordable sections (public campgrounds & the like). Try searching for "White Conservation Society" in the Bantam, CT area for more info.
If you would settle for a river vs. lake, Simsbury is very nice, as is most of the Housatonic River valley.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 12:29 pm
agree with what lab rat has to say on CT (being native CT'er myself)

Also..as far as Mass lakes are concerned...you're only interested in Western Mass? Most of those are under State Forest jurisdiction I believe.
Have you thought of Lakeville, MA? That might work for you.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 12:28 am
Good luck to you :-) Just make sure that if it is secluded that you think of the snowy New England weather and how clean up is going to be.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 09:27 am
Hi all and thanks,
I should explain that my daughter and her husband live in Worcester, MA and that my son his wife live in Syracuse, NY which makes moving west attractive.

As for snow, I've lived half my life in Michigan and half in Massachusetts: I'm well acquainted with the stuff!

quinn,
I never heard of Lakeville. Will look it up.
0 Replies