McAfee: You're Fired!

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:01 am
I am so tired of waiting for this damned virus program to finish "Downloading Updates." Up to an hour, sometimes twice a day, WTF. !

Okay, tech-type people:
I want good virus protection.
I don't mine paying for it.
I would just like to process to be less of a drag on my time and energy.

Joe(Guide me.)Nation

View best answer, chosen by Joe Nation
engineer

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:07 am
@Joe Nation,
If you buy tax prep software, most office supply places give away virus software if you buy tax software from them. I just picked up the full AVG package for three computers last night with my tax software. Web Root also has a good rep.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:11 am
@Joe Nation,
My computers always update **** while Im in the middle of something important. I hate when they do that. Then Ill keep getting these damn "OK NOW?" pop-ups 15 minutes later.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:14 am
@Joe Nation,
I switched to Kaspersky a couple of years ago on the recommendation of a couple of techie people at work. I don't regret it. It catches tons of crap (noticeable when I run crapcleaner as there's less crap) and it's fairly unobtrusive - unless you set it to show you everytime it prevents an attack.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:16 am
Microsoft Security Essentials is what I use. It's free, lightweight and pretty good.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:17 am
@ehBeth,
Kapersky would get my vote. Also the new Norton 360 panel, while it updates fairly regularly (as they all have to do) it doesn't seem to bog my system down in the least, and it doesn't spew a message every time.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:40 am
@Joe Nation,
I've used the Avast free version for years.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:40 am
@Joe Nation,
Try Malware Bytes and Hitman Pro.
0 Replies

DrewDad
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:41 am
@Joe Nation,
Second vote for Microsoft Security Essentials.

Free, simple, works.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:47 am
@Joe Nation,
... or simply move out of the "crosshairs" by switching to a MAC. Wink
Questioner

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 08:48 am
@rosborne979,
Heathen.
Irishk

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 09:02 am
My arsenal consists of Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and CCCleaner.

Joe -- can you not manually set a specific time for your AV to update? I thought that was an option for most programs.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 09:05 am
@Questioner,
Questioner wrote:

Heathen.
Lemming. Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 09:14 am
Set your download and scan times for a certain day at a certain time. Then tell your box is is not allowed to hibernate, or go to sleep or even take a nap at that time. Scheduling, Baby ! ! !
parados

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 09:34 am
@Setanta,
In Windows, you can tell it to wake to do something in the middle of the night and then go back to sleep.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 09:38 am
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/6/21/thisthreadis128585095970765586.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:45 am
I'm trying Microsoft Security Essentials.

The updates became a problem when I was unemployed and trying to save every nickel on my electric bill by shutting everything off.
(Yes. Everything. Unplugged the frigging Microwave so as not to pay to run the LED while I slept. Put the tvs on power strips so I could shut them down too.)

So I would put the computer down each evening and at start-up every morning the McAfee would burp out 45 minutes of updates.

Thanks everyone for your ~as usual~ fine advice.

Joe(That's why they call it Able2Know)Nation
Sturgis

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 11:09 am
@Joe Nation,
I remember the most frightening McAfee situation I ever had to face. After about 4 months away, I turned the computer on and had 4 months of updates. Then came the Windows updates. It took next to forever to complete all of them.

For the record, I always keep the microwave unplugged when not in use, I can't stand the light from it.

The only thing I learned with McAfee and updates, most can be slowly done while you do other things with the computer and while on-line and when the boxer rebellion pops up to tell you to shut down and restart, it can be ignored, then shut down regular, next time the computer comes on it's taken care (at least I think it is). I don't have a pre-scheduled time for full virus scan as that seemed to hinder doing anything else, I now do that manually once a week. Same holds for other pre-scheduled, they seem to tap into other parts of the system and create headaches.

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 11:41 am
@Sturgis,
Yeah.
I just find it easier to clean out the registry errors, defrag the whatever, wipe out the extraneous files and do a full scan all while I'm vacuuming the apartment, folding the laundry and scrubbing the bathroom.

I do TOO scrub the bathroom!!

I am a single adult male who likes to be in the company of single adult females.

Joe(Okay, just one in particular, but still... . )Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 11:43 am
@ehBeth,
Good answer, I'm going to look at that one too.

I just put MES on my work computer.

Joe(It had McAfee too.)Nation
0 Replies