WHY I HATE ENGLAND

parados

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 08:47 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The main prerequisite for a joke is that it has to be funny, that's what probably threw me.

Next you'll be telling us that satire has to be funny. Always with the rules...... That's why I hate England; Rules and Rulers.

By the bye -
What's funny about suggesting that Irish babies be eaten? I'll bet no Irish baby found that one funny.
Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 08:49 am
@parados,
The worst thing about A Modest Proposal is the number of Englishmen who took it seriously . . .
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 08:50 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

What's funny about suggesting that Irish babies be eaten? I'll bet no Irish baby found that one funny.

That was Swift, he was from Ireland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Swift
saab

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 09:35 am
@Linkat,
It is a good feeling when it happens.
Sometimes tourists are better informed than the locals.
Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 09:43 am
@Setanta,
yeah i always thought that their clothes were very wrinkled.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 09:46 am
@Linkat,
The tag states satire, but does it mean it is funny?
Good satire makes you laugh and then think and especially about how to change whatever it is about....politics, religon, attitudes-
farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 09:57 am
@saab,
I would suggest that,
when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you oughta do is quit digging.
You are merely displaying a makeup of a person who is severely humore challenged. Are you German? (I hate German senses pf humor, but thats another thread entirely)
parados

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 10:05 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

parados wrote:

That was Swift, he was from Ireland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Swift

Irish babies are like the English, they need jokes explained to them. When you have to explain a joke it loses it's "funny".
farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 10:09 am
@parados,
I didnt know that you were German too
parados

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 10:14 am
@farmerman,
I just like holes.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 10:15 am
@saab,
yeah it more than funny - i remember writing (and I can't remember the premise) a satire in high school - it was just creepy enough with a little twisted undertone that the teacher wrote "if this is satire, then it is very good, if not....."

I think the teacher was worried I could be twisted and maybe wrote something serious.

I think really good satire - is something that is difficult to tell whether you are serious or not.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 10:19 am
More hats should help lighten the mood.

http://bet-grand-national.com/images/typical-ascot-fashion-hat.jpg

http://bet-grand-national.com/images/gertrude-shilling-royal-ascot.jpg
http://www.londonperfect.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/14-big-hats-in-the-uk-300x221.jpg

http://www.londonperfect.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/15-ascot-hats-an-ice-cream-cone-300x206.jpg

ON second thought.. The British DO have a sense of humour. (Spell check tells me that's not the way to spell humor but in honor of the thread I'll colour it a little bit.)
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 10:25 am
@farmerman,
No I am not German and I donĀ“t like German humour either.
If I display a makeup of a person who is severly homour challenged that inspiration must come from my surroundings here.
In real life I am rather full of dry humour and concidered a fun person to be with.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 10:30 am
There's no accounting for taste . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 10:41 am
As for Germans, i once read the memoir of fighter pilot in the RAF. He was shot down over France late in the war, his plane's engine being damaged, but he still had the controls. He was gliding in, and as he crossed the trees of a hedgerow, he saw an mobile anti-aircraft battery at the far side of the field. They spotted him then, and, desparately, he pushed the button for his guns, and then his plane slammed into the plowed field, and "pancaked," crushing the landing gear, then slewed across the field and into the hedgerow on the other side, beyond the AA guns.

As he groggily hauled himself out of the cockpit, some German infantry ran up and dragged him to the ground. They were glaring at him and shouting at him, and slapped him about the head, prodding him along with their rifles toward the AA truck. There, he saw that one of his rounds must have gone right down one of the barrels of the gun, exploding the cannon shell before it could fire. The gun crew were dead, still sitting behind the gun.

The German soldiers stood around him, still glaring, until they couldn't stand it any more, and then they all fell out laughing. They slapped him on the back, told him it was great shooting, etc.--one who spoke English told him: "You should have seen your face, it was all we could do not to laugh right then!"

Yep . . . them Dutchmen, they're just a laugh a minute . . .
izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 11:25 am
@Setanta,
We get a lot of German tourists.

We also get a lot of Americans as well.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 11:38 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

We get a lot of German tourists.
Indeed, and I'm one of them, doing it since 1963 now.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 11:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You're always welcome to pop in for a cup of tea and a slice of cake, maybe some schnapps.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 11:51 am
@izzythepush,
No schnaps, but a cuppa tea and cake will be fine (either end of May or early June, whatever suits you best).
izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 11:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I should be around then. Let me know a bit nearer the time.