WHY I HATE ENGLAND

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 06:27 pm
@Setanta,
part of their chllenge in the food department is that Brits dont hve anyone who can properly name their dishes so they dont sound so damned vile. I mean who wamnts to eat something called trickle?
Green Witch

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 06:52 pm
Say what you will, but I love me a nice British sage sausage roll made with puff pastry:
http://www.channel4.com/media/images/Channel4/4Food/ontv/lakes_on_a_plate/recipes/sausage_roll_2_ahero_A1.jpg

No one knows how to pick on the British better than Bill Bryson in his book
Notes from a Small Island:
Quote:
In almost every British pantry you will find a jar of something called Marmite, a yeast extract that has the consistency and smell of an industrial lubricant. You spread it on toast or crackers. I have never met a foreigner living in Britain who could stand the stuff (and I make it a point to ask). The British, it goes without saying, adore it. Nor have I yet found a foreigner (or come to that many English people) able to muster any real enthusiasm for haggis, the national dish of Scotland. A haggis is a bloated sausage stuffed with oatmeal and minced sheep’s heart. The most remarkable thing about it is that it looks and tastes even worse that it sounds. The Scots eat haggis in huge quantities on New Year’s eve and then, I can only presume, spend the rest of the year feeling grateful that December 31st comes but once a year.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 06:58 pm
I see no one's gotten around to mentioning the faggots yet. Not to mention prawn or roast beef and mustard or you-name-it crisps.
parados

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:00 pm
And they have all those highfalutin authors that we are all supposed to read and enjoy and discuss intelligently. I don't think they've ever produced a decent comic book.
Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:02 pm
They tried to take over 'Merican tee vee a couple of decades back, but people got tired of Benny Hill pretty damned quick, and Are You Being Served never was funny.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:03 pm
@parados,
Yeah, an' they never made a good western, neither . . .
parados

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:03 pm
@parados,
And their rock stars can't even do a simple thing like a wardrobe malfunction at the Super Bowl

I don't see a nipple!!!

http://allthingsgomusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/1593469-mia-finger-super-bowl-617-409-e1328539462805.jpg
Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:04 pm
@parados,
Who is she givin' the bird to?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:06 pm
@farmerman,
Or even treacle. Much less trifle... really.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:08 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yeah, an' they never made a good western, neither . . .

Yeah..
The make things like Zulu

or Lawrence of Arabia
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:08 pm
@Mame,
Then there's that pudding from Yorkshire..
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:10 pm
@parados,
There is some justice here. She is actually a lovely woman, but looks like a total doofus drag queen in this photo.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:51 pm
@parados,
No **** . . . boooorrrring . . .

I ain't never heard of a good car chase scene in no English movie . . .
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:56 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
I don't think they've ever produced a decent comic book.

some really great british comic book writers actually, Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Brian Bolland, Peter Milligan, Grant Morrison to name a few
Mame

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 08:23 pm
@djjd62,
Warm beer! yuck!
Eva

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 08:35 pm
@Mame,
And on top of everything else, they're too damned far away!!!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 08:40 pm
In honour of the Queens 60th Jubilee, can't we find the love?
saab

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 01:12 am
@Ceili,
It is easy,
lately I have had some of the best food ever in England,
good litteratur,
sence of humour
know fun satire, which isn´t based on prejustice
enjoy their traditions - including traffic on the left - which is probably about as old a the settlement of Europe or older
fair play
politeness

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 03:40 am
@Ceili,
Why should we love 'em just because the old biddy is way past retirement age?
saab

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 06:59 am
@Setanta,
Do you only hate England or also Wales, Scotland and Ireland - all of Britain?