WHY I HATE ENGLAND

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 07:10 am
@izzythepush,
More or less--specifically, a straw man argument in a mischaracterization. Whether or not the person employing a straw man argument has correctly interpreted what you've written is not explicit in the use of the straw man. A straw man argument characterizes one's argument in a manner which allows one's interlocutor to argue against that characterization rather than what you've actually said. It's called a straw man because the mischaracterization is one which the culprit feels can easily be knocked down.

Whether or not Finn actually employs straw man arguments, or simply isn't sufficiently intelligent to have grasped what one says, however, is fodder for speculation. Like many conservatives i've seen around here, he tends to speak in code words and code phrases, and to sneer about what he alleges the political viewpoints of others to be, rather than to actually debate an issue toe to toe. I've long suspected he lacks the skills to do so.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 08:03 am
@Setanta,
Thank you, I'd not come across the term until I chanced upon A2K. Anyway back to the thread, what about us having the BAFTA awards at the same time as the Grammies, and giving most of the awards to a French film?
Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 08:13 am
@izzythepush,
S'OK by me . . . i don't pay any attention to the Grammies, so why would i care about other award hooplah?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 08:13 am
@izzythepush,
Oh wait . . . i see what you mean . . . probably it's because you're all liberals now and you've learned to hate yourselves.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 09:05 am
@Setanta,
I've never been a liberal, and fortunately I've never voted for them. I came close last election, my seat is a liberal/conservative two horse race, but the encumbent liberal MP was such an awful person I voted labour. The tories got in, but considering what the liberals got up to after the election means I was right not to trust them.

And before you start, I know, it's all to do with our Westminster system.
Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 01:51 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't care about that, Boss, i only brought it up before in relation to the unrealistic attitudes people outside the US have about the Electoral College.

My remark about liberals was tongue in cheek, and a fling at the witless view of the world that many reactionaries (in the U.S.) have. American liberals (small "l" liberals, there's no Liberal Party) are considerably to the right of many political parties elsewhere in the world. I don't know enough about the Liberal Party in England, and wouldn't presume to speak with any confidence about those snivelling, sneaky, whiny little gobshites. I have no opinion.
margo

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 04:50 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I don't know enough about the Liberal Party in England, and wouldn't presume to speak with any confidence about those snivelling, sneaky, whiny little gobshites. I have no opinion.

I'm glad you didn't tell us what you thought, then! Laughing
Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 08:26 pm
@margo,
One wishes to remain neutral in such matters . . .
0 Replies