What is your favorite fish recipe?

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:04 pm
I'm trying to get my family to eat more fish.

I can cook salmon several different ways but I'm rather hopeless with other varieties. I bought some beautiful trout today and I'd like an easy way to make it for dinner tomorrow.

I'm more than willing to try other types of fish so share all of your favorite fish recipes with me!

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:07 pm
I don't have a recipe for you, but i heard a report on the radio today saying that you should eat dark fish (salmon, mackerel, tuna, swordfish, etc.) rather than white fish, and that you should bake or broil it, rather than fry it. The claim was that dark fish baked or broiled improves your cardiac health, and that white fish, or any fried fish, hurts your cardiac health.
boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:10 pm
@Setanta,
Good to know!

Where does trout fall into this? I'm guessing white......
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:19 pm
@Setanta,
I didn't know that, about white fish. Did know about dark fish. Hmm, I've always thought of sword as white.. guess I need to do some reading.

I don't fry anything, really, not only re health reasons but because I'm clumsy and might set the house alight. Do saute stuff. But for fish, I usually bake them.

For salmon, I'm always trying to reproduce a dish I used to eat in a northern California restaurant, Hurricane Kates. They served fantastic salmon on what they called remoulade - I olive oil a glass baking dish, put down a bed of chopped onions using maybe three regular brown ones, a fat teaspoon of stone ground mustard, and a light squeeze of lemon. Add the fish. Bake until done to your liking. What I can't remember is if I sauteed the onions until translucent first.. I think so.
Well, I'm one person and thus not cooking a big amount of fish.. so if that onion thing sounds good, adjust amounts upward for a family.

I bring this up, Boom, knowing you already have ways to cook salmon, but this could work for other fish too.. I think.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:27 pm
@boomerang,
Trout is always good!
Just plain with butter (frying pan) or in a crust of crushed almonds (baked)
is really tasty. Halibut in almond crust is good too.

The last few times we had salmon with cranberry sauce and that combination is also very tasty.

I like scallops - in bacon wrapped with an apricot chutney. Easy and fast to make. Wrap the scallops in cooked bacon and broil in oven until golden brown (about 5 min. each side). For the chutney, mix 2/3 cup apricot preserves, 1 teaspoon crushed peppercorns, and 1/3 cup horseradish together and serve with the scallops.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:30 pm
@CalamityJane,
All of those sound good to me.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:41 pm
I saw a nice recipe on the Food Network today that I want to try some day.

Giada baked wonton wrappers in muffin tins to form a vessel for a salad made of diced fresh mango, avocado, some arugula and grilled tilapia.

I'll see if I can find the recipe. She called it a fish taco.

Here you go:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/tilapia-fish-tacos-with-arugula-recipe/index.html

Ingredients
Wonton cups:

12 (3 1/4 by 3 1/4-inch square) wonton wrappers*
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil

Filling:

3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
3 tilapia fillets (about 8 ounces total), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 avocado, halved, pitted and flesh cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 mango, peeled and flesh cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3 green onions, finely chopped
3 cups coarsely chopped baby arugula

Dressing:

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from about 2 limes)
Kosher salt

Creme fraiche:

1/2 cup creme fraiche
1 tablespoon wasabi powder*
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

*Can be found in Asian markets

Special equipment: a 12-count nonstick muffin pan

For the wonton cups: Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Using a pastry brush, brush each side of the wonton wrappers with canola oil. Gently press the wonton wrappers into the bottom and sides of a 12-count muffin pan. Bake until lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Gently lift the wonton cups out of the pan and cool completely, about 10 minutes.

For the filling: In a large, nonstick skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Drizzle the tilapia fillets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Arrange the fish in a single layer in the pan and cook until the flesh is flaky and cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Set aside to cool slightly.

For the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the lime juice. Season with salt, to taste. Add the avocado, mango, green onions, and arugula. Toss until all the ingredients are coated.

For the creme fraiche: In a small bowl, mix together the creme fraiche, wasabi powder and salt until smooth.

To assemble the tacos: Put the wonton cups on a platter and divide the avocado mixture into the cups. Top each with 3 to 4 pieces of fish. Spoon about 1 to 2 teaspoons of the creme fraiche mixture on top of the fish and serve.

Cook's Note: The wonton wrappers can burn very quickly in the oven so check them after 5 minutes.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:06 pm
Another cooking show I watch on PBS is New Scandinavian Cooking. They frequently feature recipes using fish and shellfish that look easy to prepare.

There are 24 pages of recipes on their website.

Here are a few that have caught my eye and earned a bookmark for future reference:

http://www.newscancook.com/recipes/grilled-and-smoked-mackerel-with-rhubarb-compote/

http://www.newscancook.com/recipes/hazelnut-fish-fingers/

http://www.newscancook.com/recipes/luxurious-fish-gratin-with-spinach/

http://www.newscancook.com/recipes/halibut-with-herbs-and-rosemary-lemon-butter/

http://www.newscancook.com/recipes/honey-and-mustard-marinated-salmon-with-rosemary-apples/

http://www.newscancook.com/recipes/grilled-herring-with-mustard-seed-vinaigrette-green-strawber/

http://www.newscancook.com/recipes/grilled-cod-with-olive-brazed-carrots-and-parsnips/

http://www.newscancook.com/recipes/steamed-cod-fillet/

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:08 pm
@Butrflynet,
Haven't looked at the links, but I liked the fish taco thing - thought I posted that but must've not hit reply.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:09 pm
Red Snapper and Orange Roughy may also be fish your family will like.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, fish tacos are awesome.
http://www.averagebetty.com/recipes/baja-ha-fish-tacos-recipe/
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:10 am
I like barramundi, sole and talapia baked in individual parchment pouches with what ever veggies you want to toss in. I usually use chopped leeks and red peppers and a tiny amt of olive oil or butter, dill, s&p. I like thicker pieces of fish such as cod in a stew with carrots, celery, onions, tomatoes, clam juice (add clams too if you used canned clams to get the broth), parsely and either potatoes or diced white turnips.

Salmon, halibut, swordfish are great grilled. If you have a number of ways to cook salmon you can substitute halibut and swordfish into those recipes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:13 am
I did some looking around, Boom, and it seems the meat of the swordfish varies by the fish's diet. Atlantic swordfish have a reddish meat, not unlike salmon. Perhaps Pacific swordfish are different. It seems that Mediterranean swordfish have a light colored meat.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:29 am
@boomerang,
There's always good ol spaghetti marinara, boomerang!
Quick n easy.
Yum!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:31 am
Thanks everyone! These recipes look good.

I admit I typically think of fish as an ingredient unto itself, something to be served with side dishes, not mixed into a recipe. This is probably because Mo has about a three ingredient limit to the food he likes. I need to bust out of that rut -- or at least learn to modify good recipes into fancy and plain versions.

Salmon is, of course, readily available here, as is tuna, cod, and halibut, trout seems to be very seasonal. I haven't at all investigated some of the other varieties mentioned here. I need to put together a shopping list and hit the fish market.

Thank you!
Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 07:57 am
@boomerang,
fish tacos is always good - the good thing is you can use any white flakey fish - so whatever is fresh and on sale.

Also, most kids like fish and chips. I healthier way to prep instead of frying - bake. Put some oil on the bottom of baking dish and flip over half way through.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:03 am
@boomerang,
If you like spicy - trout is great with some cajain seasoning - just sprinkle some on and grill or bake.

I find that simple recipes work well with fish - especially really good fresh quality. For salmon - bake/grill and pour some honey over it. For a white fish often times I will just dip in beaten egg and the dip in italien style bread crumbs - bake and then squeeze lemon on it.

Swordfish or halibut is good with a mango/pineapple salsa - bake and cut off ingredients for the salsa - I could do a search for this salsa don't have all the stuff on the top of my head - but that I've done it before and it was so tasty.
boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:23 am
This is my usual quick salmon recipe:

Rinse salmon, pat it dry and sprinkle with a little bit of sugar, set aside for about 15 minutes.

Mix a little mayo, olive oil, dry mustard, paprika, garlic and a few very healthy shots of Tabasco together and brush it on the salmon.

Broil for about 5 minutes on high, take it out and let it sit for a few minutes.

Serve.
Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 08:48 am
@boomerang,
sounds good - I think I used a similar recipe - I remember the mustard part.
0 Replies

jsmith767

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 09:24 am
@boomerang,
Steamed tilapia is great. Add tomato salsa on the side.
0 Replies