Accuracy of Measurements for Eyeglaass Lenses

gollum

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 02:40 pm
Lenscrafters, Inc. advertises that its digital system of measurement for eyeglasses is five times more accurate than manual systems.

True? Snake Oil?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,239 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 03:02 pm
@gollum,
It is as good as the people doing the measuring and the accuracy of the responses they get from the people being measured.

I had great service and accuracy at Lenscrafters in the San Francisco Bay area and terrible results from the Lenscrafters in Sacramento.

Here in Albuquerque, I wanted to see how much damage had been done by the incorrect prescription I got in Sacramento so I went to ophthalmologist who told me I have two astigmatisms, not the one that the Sacramento folks said I have, and that I am at the very beginning stages of developing cataracts in both my eyes.

I still hate my glasses. Even though I have bifocals, I can't see distances well without them and I can't see up close very well with them.

For the most part, I don't wear them at all unless I am driving or am watching a television that is too far away to see without them.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 03:05 pm
@gollum,
Don't know, but probably true by some narrowly defined measurements. I notice they don't say others are actually less useful by the standards most of us apply. That is, we want to see clearly, without distortion and eye strain. Many others are equally good as a practical matter.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2012 06:21 pm
@gollum,
I saw that ad yesterday and laughed at the absurdity of it. 5 times more accurate than whom or whose measurements? It's unprovable and an empty claim. Also does this allegedly more accurate measurement result in accurate delivery of the finished product? Who says they can turn these accurate meaaurements into properly ground precise lenses fitting into frames and a delivered quality product. Just more smoke and mirrors and empty claims.

I've always had 100% success with past eyeglasses vendors. I never use large chains such as LC because I've seen time after time that large chains do not deliver decent quality customer service and/or quality control (spouses glasses) at the local level. The 2x I personally tried Lenscrafters in the past 15 yrs, I've not been satisfied with the time they quoted (10 days). Others were able to deliver in 3 days or, at the most, 5 days.
0 Replies