SHO's Homeland

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 10:33 am
The SHO series Homeland was the surprise of this season for me. I enjoy CIA/espionage/terror-threats genre movies and television shows, but they tend to get predictable or “James Bond” absurd.

The producers, directors, and actors of Homeland made it an exception--a honey-smooth example of the genre.

The acting is outstanding…OUTSTANDING!…with dynamite performances by Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, and Mandy Patinkin. Claire Danes is beyond comparison—an actress so immersed in her role it boggles the mind. In the penultimate episode of the season, she gives a performance for the ages—one of the best I have ever seen. Truly…I am not exaggerating.

If you did not watch the show while it was running initially…try to catch it during re-runs. Or if you have SHO on Demand…get it there. It absolutely must be watched in consecutive episodes, because each segment of the series depends on the set-up from previous ones.

I recommend it VERY HIGHLY.

Anyone who did watch it, I'd love to hear your take on it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,659 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 11:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
"Why kill a man when you can kill an idea?"

Fabulous line.

We cancelled all of our premium channels a few years ago, but when our cable company recently made a mistake on our bill, they generously restored them at no charge, but only for six months. SHO's Homeland was one of the first series I caught up on and I was hooked from the first episode.

I think what makes this show different from those that 'tend to get predictable or “James Bond” absurd' is the writers' focus on the psychological aspect of life in the intelligence community. The challenges presented for their characters to sort out seem to be well-researched and thoughtful...and that OMG finale to Season 1 was, IMO, perfect in every way. Can't wait for Season 2.

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2012 12:02 pm
@Irishk,
Thanks, Irish.

My sister recently mentioned that almost no one in her crowd ever asks..."Do you watch such and such on television." That seems to be a no-no. But during the run of Homeland the question came up several times.

The series is terrific...and like you, I cannot wait for next season.

While we are at it...another major league winner was Game of Thrones. It is coming for a second season in a couple of months...and is another "DO NOT MISS!"
Sturgis

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 11:49 am
@Frank Apisa,
I can say with confidence I will miss both of these, Homeland and Game of Thrones. By not subscribing to HBO or Showtime, having the basic cable deal, I don't get those. Through the HD, I have several On-Demand selections, whereby I can view the shows from Lifetime and Bravo within the week of their initial airing...and for a few weeks after that. Showtime and HBO tho, never allow such a thing. They instead attempt to draw people in with snippet previews lasting up to 5 minutes and then a minute or 2 on several characters. I suppose they figure people will get hooked by those previews. Well, it ain't-a happening with me.

Just as well, I spend too much time watching television as it is and my legs are often the victims.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 02:33 pm
@Sturgis,
I know whatcha mean, Sturgis...but Homeland and Game of Thrones are both so excellent, you are missing some great entertainment.

Had a problem with my left leg a few weeks ago...and thought it might be the result of too much time sitting at the computer. But the weather has been great in New Jersey...and I've managed to play lots of golf. The walking never hurts.
0 Replies