what does "come with caveats" mean here?

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 06:14 am
"There is no one who can keep you from happiness. There's no one who can make you sick. There's no one who can keep you lonely. There's no one who can keep you from abundance or fulfilling work. No one. Your dreams are untouchable, just as everyone else's dreams are untouchable. Otherwise, we'd be little more than puppets, and our free will would come with caveats." -- Mike Dooley Manifesting Change

In the last sentence why does the author say that we are puppets and what's the meaning of "come with caveats" here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,809 • Replies: 11
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 06:32 am
Caveat is a Latin word meaning beware, and it often used in English to mean a warning, or with caution. In ancient Rome, people set up little stalls and sold things in the Forum (an open public space in the center of the city). People sometimes complained about being cheated there. The Senate wasn't prepared to regulate the commerce of the Forum, so they put up a big sign at the entrance to the Forum which read: Caveat Emptor--"Let the buyer beware." Caveat has entered the English language to mean a warning, a caution.

He means that our free will would come with warnings. Personally, i think it's crap writing. Literary standards have reached new lows in our times.
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 07:11 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

He means that our free will would come with warnings. Personally, i think it's crap writing. Literary standards have reached new lows in our times.

Please recommend one that is newly published yet keeps high standards.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 07:25 am
Please bite me.
engineer

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 07:33 am
@Justin Xu,
As used here, it is a warning or clarification, usually a restriction. Example - you rent a car and the renter says "You can drive it all you want! But if you go over 150 miles per day there will be a large surcharge." That last line is a caveat - it clarifies the first statement.
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:26 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Please bite me.

"Please bite me", the word has been used in many books, high and low in their qualities alike. But none of them made it as the title of their book. Did you mean "The Twilight Saga"?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:48 am
Whoosh ! ! !
McTag

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 10:38 am
@Setanta,

That's a good one. Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 08:10 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Please bite me.

And risk serious disease - don't do it, Ori.
roger

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 10:08 pm
@engineer,
Off the language topic for a moment, you ever notice that those caveats and disclaimers are usually spoken quickly and kind of mumbled.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 10:26 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Whoosh ! ! !

Pigs fly!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 10:27 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Please bite me.

And risk serious disease - don't do it, Ori.

Yeah. Your opinion is acceptable.
0 Replies