Since Stephen Colbert can't get on the South Carolina primary ballot...

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 05:33 am
In yesterday night's episode of the Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert admitted he couldn't get on the South Carolina primary ballot BUT he's calling for supporters to vote for the defunct campaign of Herman Cain. And that with any significant bump in the Cain numbers, should be considered as voting support for Colbert.

Since it's an open primary, independents, Democrats, and elusive others can vote for the Republican ticket. It is very likely that Herman Cain WILL likely get a very successful Colbert Bump because of this too late in the campaign Colbert campaign move.

Do you think that all ballots should ALLOW write-in candidates or not? What do you think of Stephen Colbert's active critique of superpacs, the US primary election season and procedure, etc...?

roger

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 05:41 am
@tsarstepan,
Actually, I'm not too keen on these open primaries, anyway. Way to easy for you guys to try to pick us a grand loser in the general election.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 08:08 am
I don't get him. What he is doing is not funny. I thought he was a comedian.

I think it will appeal to a very small segment of voters.

We may hate what we see going on, but it is important. I don't like open primaries, either. But until we get a better system, that's all we have.

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 08:17 am
@PUNKEY,
I think it's awesome.

Seriously, he's doing an amazing service in terms of shedding light on the whole system in a way that is accessible and entertaining.

Quote:
But before Mr. Colbert moved forward with any bid, first he had to distance himself from his super PAC, Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow.

“You cannot be a candidate and run a super PAC. That would be coordinating with yourself,” Trevor Potter, Mr. Colbert’s lawyer and a former chairman of the Federal Election Commission, told him on Thursday’s show. But “you could have it run by somebody else,” even a friend or business partner, Mr. Potter said — illuminating what critics say is an inappropriate loophole in the law. So Mr. Colbert brought out Mr. Stewart of “The Daily Show,” who played along with the joke, saying, “I’d be honored to” help.

Sarcastically emphasizing that they would not coordinate Mr. Colbert’s real or imagined presidential race with Mr. Stewart’s ad spending, Mr. Colbert said “From now on, I will have to talk about my plans on my TV show.” Mr. Stewart, whose show immediately precedes Mr. Colbert’s at 11 p.m., shot back, “I don’t even know when it’s on.”

The two men then signed what they said was the necessary paperwork and discussed making Mr. Colbert a volunteer for the super PAC, which Mr. Potter said might be possible.

Though humorous, Mr. Colbert’s discussions about super PACs have had an educational and perhaps energizing effect among some members of his young audience. When Mr. Potter told the two comedians that “being business partners does not count as coordination, legally,” there were groans of disgust from some in the studio audience.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/13/us/politics/stephen-colbert-to-explore-or-pretend-to-run-for-president.html
failures art

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 09:28 am
@tsarstepan,
Colbert's long running SuperPAC thing is brilliant. PACs and SuperPACs are complex and full of legalese. He's made this topic understandable to the general public and in doing so helped explain why it's such a problem. The added benefit is that he makes us laugh.

A
R
T
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 09:30 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Actually, I'm not too keen on these open primaries, anyway. Way to easy for you guys to try to pick us a grand loser in the general election.

I agree. I remember Rush Limbaugh openly campaigned for Republicans to register as Democrats and voted for less popular candidates. This kind of thing is bad.

That said, I'm not saying the primary system is good for selecting candidates.

A
R
T
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 02:29 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Seriously, he's doing an amazing service in terms of shedding light on the whole system in a way that is accessible and entertaining.

I'm hoping this whole political kerfuffle will show everyone that the Citizen's United decision (the worst US Supreme Court Decision in my lifetime) NEEDS to be overturned.

The accessibility of Stephen Colbert's methods should be easy for even the most apathetic and apolitical viewer to see the necessity of that recourse.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 03:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
would that include congress?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 07:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm finding it remarkable how astutely John Steward and Steven Colbert inform us about American politics. CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News don't, even though it's technically your job. What does that say about America?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 07:52 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Way to easy for you guys to try to pick us a grand loser in the general election.

You guys don't seem to need our help for that.
0 Replies